fireman

New Rules for the 2015 Fall Show in Kent CT. Important! Please read!

fireman

Just got my fall show members packet from the Connecticut Antique Machinery Association. They have implemented a variety of new rules and regulations that affect vendors and exhibitors.

The big one that will affect us as exhibitors is that all tractors will no longer be allowed to be driven around during the normal show hours. The only exceptions are when you first arrive, during the tractor parade, and when you leave for the day. Also because the property is actually owned by the State of CT., no atv's, dirt bikes, etc are allowed to be driven. CAMA will not even allowed them to be unloaded. The only exception is for the staff working that drive around picking up the garbage etc. 

Another new rule is kids under the age of sixteen are only allowed to drive tractors during the parade and must be accompanied by the parent WALKING beside the tractor. This is to ensure safety in case something happens.

The other new rule is they are no longer allowing classic and antique cars and trucks up in the show area. They will have an area designated in the lower parking lot.

I know these new rules will affect pretty much all of us who go to the show and normally like to drive our tractors around etc. But I for one plan on adhering to all of the new rules/regulations and I hope all of you who attend do also.

I have cut and pasted a copy of the new rules here below for everyone to read. You can also go to their website and check it out there too.

Connecticut Antique Machinery Association

IMPORTANT NEW FALL FESTIVAL REGULATIONS

Due to the increased popularity of our Fall Festival among vendors, exhibitors and spectators of all ages the CAMA Board of Directors has had to put some new regulations into place for our show. These have been made necessary to abide by CT State Law, to allow enough space for exhibition of antique machines and tractors and especially for the safety of everyone. It is our hope that providing these regulations here will give you a heads-up and enable you to plan your visit to the show accordingly. We know that change can be difficult but with growth and success we find these regulations to be necessary.

EXCEPTIONS to these regulations: AUTHORIZED CAMA working staff members will be allowed to use gators and golf carts for transportation throughout the grounds. In addition, the handicapped and physically challenged will, of course, continue to be allowed to use motorized equipment

ALL TERRAIN VEHICLES INCLUDING DIRT BIKES (see definition contained here): These types of motorized vehicles are not to be used on ANY PART of our grounds at ANY TIME. This is not limited to our show but is in effect year round, 24-7. CAMA is situated on Connecticut State land (we own the buildings and equipment but lease the land from the state). As per state law, no one may operate an “ATV” on state land unless the land is designated for such use. CAMA’s land is not. The state’s definition of an ATV in this context is “any motorized vehicle not suitable for operation on a highway...and travels on two or more tires”. CAMA will not allow any such “ATV” that is brought onto our grounds to be unloaded.

MOVEMENT OF TRACTORS: ALL types of tractors, including garden tractors, are to be driven in and during the tractor parade ONLY. No one is to ride on tractors during other hours except to move them to an exhibit space. Any driver under the age of 16 must have an adult accompanying them during the parade. The parade moves slowly enough that an adult will be able to walk alongside.

CAMPERS: We must know who is camping on our grounds. Consequently, we’ll be asking all campers to register with CAMA (no fee involved). There will be information about this when you arrive for the show. In the lower parking field, all camp sites are to be along the river side of the field.

CLASSIC AND ANTIQUE CARS AND TRUCKS: We all enjoy seeing these vehicles but the Fall Festival is not a car show and we have limited space for exhibits on the main grounds. There will be designated space for these vehicles in our lower parking field during the show. Perhaps interested members would like to organize a car show to be held at CAMA on another date. If so, please call John Pawloski at CAMA (860-927-0050) with a proposal.

VENDORS: ALL vendors will be required to register upon arrival and BEFORE choosing a site. Registration will begin at NOON on Wednesday (the 23rd). We have been lax in enforcing this in the past but will be doing so this year. If you arrive earlier than noon on Wednesday, you will be asked to wait until noon to register and to be assigned a space(s). It is not fair to allow some vendors to break this rule while others abide by it. If you have to wait in line to register, just relax and enjoy our beautiful grounds! Vendor registration on THURSDAY will begin at 10:00 a.m. and at 8:00 a.m. on show days (Fri. - Sun.). Registration and site selection will END at 6:30 p.m. each day (Wed. – Sat.) Be aware that if you put something in a space before registering, it could be removed or we may ask you to remove it.

CAMA is not childproof. There will be operating machinery exhibits as well as trucks and tractors driving to exhibit spaces along driveways/walking paths. Please closely supervise all children in your care both inside and outside of buildings. HOLD THEIR HANDS!

PLEASE ALSO READ THE GENERAL SAFETY REGULATIONS SHEET 

AMC RULES
Hard to imagine the day would come...  :roll:
when it's politically incorrect to ride a piece of antique machinery around at an antique machinery show. 
  • Like 6

Sparky
Hard to imagine the day would come...  :roll:
when it's politically incorrect to ride a piece of antique machinery around at an antique machinery show. 

Nothing political about it.....its all about liability and the insurance policy they must have on this show. Don't get me wrong, I hate to see rules like "No tractor riding". Its just a matter of time before the Zagray show does this as well.
Mike..........

• Like 1

AMC RULES
...and don't forget...
the big :wh: show too. 

Sparky
...and don't forget...
the big :wh: show too. 

That would suck!
Mike..........

• Like 1

Ken B

It is kinda tight at Kent so I guess I understand even if it is LAME, If I do go I won't bother bringing any tractors.. In all honesty, I'll probably find something else to do on that day.... I never understood why there were antique cars up in the show area but I always liked looking at the old trucks. Old trucks and tractors just kinda go hand in hand... I will say that if these no ride type rules are implemented at Zagray or The Big Show then I'm done...

• Like 2

AMC RULES
I imagine next there...
will be a cigar ban too.   
:blink:

• Like 1

fireman

I don't plan on bringing any tractors either from now on. I really don't even look around at any exhibits as most the same as always. I go just to see the guys and what's for sale in the vendor section. Slowly but surely my tractor flame is going out anyway. Might be a fire sale soon.

• Like 2

857 horse

Hey...........lets everybody take a breath..................or a knee  or a moment

All these things can be taken,,,,But !!!!!!   dont take the Big Show,,,,that cigar,,,and all the good Pals....

• Like 2

stevebo

I have to say that this is really a disappointment ! My goal has been to get my 49' Chevy finished and be able to put an RJ in the back and display both at the show. Now I cannot display it there????? I understand not being able to drive around but man that is what is it all about at these shows for me. I love being able to drive around on these tractors but I also think the people like to see these old tractor running and being driven. 

WELL THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT THE WEEKEND BEFORE I HAVE MY MEET AND GREET WHICH IS ABOUT 20 MINS AWAY FROM KENT. YOU CAN DRIVE AROUND ALL YOU WANT AT MY PLACE AND DRIVE WHATEVER YOU WANT (NO JOHN DEERE THO)

Edited by stevebo
  • Like 5

Ken B

Steve, I take it we are we allowed too bring our old Farm Trucks?:ychain:

• Like 1

stevebo

Steve, I take it we are we allowed too bring our old Farm Trucks?:ychain:

highly wlecomed

squonk

I'd love to be able to show up in this! 

th.thumb.jpg.006c9a8cef4d8c145f846fe0803

• Like 1

AMC RULES
For years now...
I've been wanting one of these ol' Studes... 

...and the crustier, the better too.   :eusa-clap:
  • Like 3

squonk

That's all you need Craig! :lol:

For years our local show has said in the rules no motorized riding around and keep traffic to a minimum. We ignore it and ride all over and no one has ever said anything. The Big Show is relatively small in comparison. Anyway they rent golf carts there mostly for the handicapped but the staff has them and a bunch of gators as well. I have seen more near misses with those carts than I ever see with a tractor.

• Like 2

AMC RULES
No Mike. :naughty:  Thanks to you...   :handgestures-thumbupright:  
I'm now going to need a Cletrac crawler too. 

image 1
  • Like 3

stevebo

So I told my son we cannot ride the tractors and he said that makes no sense!! At a tractor show you should be able to ride tractors. I told him we have to walk around and he said they should call it a walking show....

• Like 4

SALTYWRIGHT

AT MY AGE (86) I CAN NOT DO VERY MUCH WALKING.     RUSS

• Like 1

DTOM

It would be a very long walk back to your vehicle if you needed to get something. Like fuel.:o

• Like 1

Ken B

It would be a very long walk back to your vehicle if you needed to get something. Like fuel.:o

Very true about the Kent Show..Not too mention that the walk back is UP hill...

wallfish

THAT SUCKS! I was just talking to my father a couple days ago about meeting me out there to spend the weekend at this show. Not going to happen now! The way that show is set up, it pretty much requires you bring something to drive.
It's probably going to end up like their ghost town spring show in a few years.

Changing plans to the Zagray show, Oct 3 & 4

Edited by wallfish

wh500special
Sounds like you you guys were handed some lemons.

It's kind of funny how different people - and perhaps different regions - view things differently.   Until I went to my first WH show in 2000 I had never been to a tractor show where guys were just cruising around.  And I used to go to a LOT of them.  There was always the occasional tractor moving from one activity to another, but other than the parade, plowing, or pulling they all just sat there stationary.  Guys meandered and talked.  Lots of old timers sat in lawnchairs next to their machines.  Nobody had a tent or canopy.  

When  I saw constant driving around  at biglerville it struck me as odd.    It was just implied that the shows in my part of illinois were for walking.  

I've seen one backflip and a lot of close calls at the big show.  One young kid ran over my right foot on a suburban.  Seems like a matter of time...

I have more fun walking anyway.  But I'm a talker, so...

Make lemonade,
steve 

• Like 3

857 horse

At the Big Show......They do enjoy Lemonade,,,,oh,,,and the Coffee is good,,,,,,walking and talking,is encouraged....
We do enjoy watching our Horses run....                 ..or   we could go to a live auction where they are all caged and penned
We all enjoy the freedoms we have earned,,,,,,,,,walk ride,,,take a bus,,,,,and our Flag is not coming down...
                                                                                   Howard in Va

Coadster32

Some of the isles at Kent are tight indeed, so I can understand it there. It is a long way from the parking area to the display area. Zagray has alot of room, and perhaps they'll see how well the new Kent rules are received, before proceeding themselves. Maybe they can just cordon off a section where you can't ride or something. We'll see how it goes.

mels

Used to display what was a pretty good sized collection of farm machinery at the time 20+ish years ago at Kent.  Every year for a good 8 or 10 years.  Was real close friends with Charlie Doty who started what, against his will and original vision for the club, eventually became CAMA after guys like Dudley Diebold and others broke away and went the hooray, look at me route.  No ill feelings, I think they did a wonderful job of working with the state and getting people to donate all sorts of resources and rare items. 

Seems you could find an old Rumley or some obscure tractor putting around the grounds from time-to-time, but outside of some freaky skeletonized speedex or something I don't remember there ever being guys or kids for that matter tooling around on their tractors - big or small.  The point of the show was to take your time and walk around, taking it all in.  Hard to check out which bolt, nut or gauge is on a rare tractor or piece of equipment if you're cruising by, harder still to have a conversation with the owner when there's someone creeping by on a snapper with their engine wound out through some rediculous chrome straight pipe.  

As the garden tractor guys started becoming more prevalent, it just became less about the antique machinery (CAMA ain't about 70's vintage garden tractors) and more a catch-all for enthusiasts from a more diverse world of mechanical stuff.  The year I cancelled my CAMA membership and stopped bringing my collection of turn of the century and early 1900's antique machinery to display at Kent was the year after I was nearly run over by some dope on a garden tractor with a 4-cylinder Kawasaki M/C engine stuffed in it.  Guess engineering wasn't his primary strength and the thing ran away with him frantically trying to figure out how to stop it.  Damn good thing no one was hurt by that idiot.

I do still go up to the Fall Festival every other year or so, mostly to reconnect with old guys who mentored me 25-30 years ago and look around the grounds today and say "remember when?"  I grab a bite to eat, supporting my Brothers from St. Lukes Lodge in Kent, and smile.

I enjoy these garden tractors, but man there's nothing like the sound of a few larger hit and miss engines running.  Some so slow that just when you think they're gonna die they fire off again, or old two cylinder JD tractors putting at a slow rpm.  There's just a beauty in the rythmic melody they have that you can't appreciate if there's an annoying buzz from a garden tractor motoring past.  Like trying to enjoy a symphonic orchestra performing an outdoor concert next to an airport, there's just no way.

Looking forward to the return of the quiet, and being able to appreciate the older garden tractors where they stand.

http://www.ctamachinery.com/2012-fall-festival/exhibitorvendor-information/safety-regulations-2015-2.pdf

http://www.ctamachinery.com/2012-fall-festival/exhibitorvendor-information/2015newregveh.pdf

Edited by mels
  • Like 1