GlenPettit

Extremely clear old photos:

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thank yo so much for sharing these , They are a wonderful look back in time. I can not wait to show them to my wife. 

Sprocket

I'm down the line from Magnolia Station - gonna have to take a ride and see what it looks like now.  There's more than a few of those old depots still standing.

shallowwatersailor

Thanks, Glenn. The "Kate Shelley Bridge" in Iowa is still standing. The "Met" bridge in Chicago is long gone.

muz123

Thanks for sharing the photos! there very interesting!

tarcoleo

Outstanding collection, thanks.

diesel cowboy

Those are impressive.  Did anyone notice what looks like 2 steam traction engines in picture 43? Its the one of the steamer going through the ice in Detroit

JC 1965

WOW  !!    Great pics Glen. Thanks for sharing.      :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Amazing how clear those pics look. Thanks for sharing.

The one of the parade in new York...just about everyone is wearing a hat on their head.

953 nut
:text-coolphotos:Glen, you always come up with the coolest photos, thank you. My favorite was the couple on St. Augustine Beach; she on a donkey and he in a goat propelled cart, may need to check the family photo album, could be relatives of mine.  :ROTF:

GlenPettit

I've had a bunch of people ask why these are so clear, in reality, all the old outdoor photos are like these were, it's just that we're used to recent color and digital pictures now.
---  A hundred years ago, all film was B/W (Black & White with fine chemically dissolved silver atoms), scenes were ALWAYS taken on a bright overcast day and before 11am or after 4pm to avoid direct rays and dark shadows (which gave too much contrast), sometimes the Photographer would have to wait days, but no direct sun (soft shadows are OK).  Shutter speeds were always slower, like maybe 1/60th or 1/30th of a second (which would freeze motion in all more-distant subjects) and the lenses were closed down to f:16 or f:22 (to give depth and have everything in focus).  Film and processing was expensive & timely so they made sure the first shot was right.
The B/W film then is about 10-times the fine detail & quality as digital is today, (even color silver film loses 2/3 of it's quality, or down to 1/3 of the detail in recording all three colors, one grain for @ color).  Our new automatic cameras today usually shoot at a fixed 1/125th and have a larger lens opening, usually f:5.6 and is focused at 5' for close or 50' for distance, so a lot is really out-of-focus.  With digital, the pixels get a lot of "averaging" by the computer, again lowering sharpness and depending on your eye to compensate quality loss 
(like watching a TV from 2' away, stay there and your eye adjusts to it, but hurts later).  Today, we're used to cheap pictures and customer demands won over quality & cost, the much more expensive film is almost gone except for fine high-quality work, commercial work.
When NASA takes those overhead shots of the world, they are using digital, with a telephoto lens, often a 5 second exposure, a $5,000,000 camera and the results are enhanced by computers and infrared contrast.    
And now you know.
Glen

On these photos, if you look at things within 5-10' of the Camera, they are often out-of-focus or have a blur from their motion (water, fingers), if people were within ear-shout they were told to stand still for a few seconds.  During the Civil War in 1865, the shutter speed was often 1-2 seconds and you will see movement within 50' of the lens, that's why people shots look so poised, they were, most people held on or leaned on to something, and 'gunpowder was used to light the shot, even outside, and people were told to 'watch the birdie'. The very first photo was shot on a thin layer tar on a metal plate, through very large lens for 2 hours in 1838.  Technically the first camera was used in the 1600's and the image was recorded/saved by an artist tracing it inside the very large camera box.

Edited by GlenPettit

rmaynard

Most of these pictures were probably taken with a large format camera. The negative itself was 3" x 5", 4" x 6", 5" x 7", or 8" x 10". Minimal or in some cases, no enlargement was necessary. I once took a class on old-time photography and have taken pictures with antique cameras onto 8" x 10" glass plate negatives. Then a contact print was made. The clarity was amazing. But... thank goodness for digital. Now the newest digital pictures can get pretty close to the quality of the old large-format contact prints.

• Like 2

Digger 66

Clarity is exceptional.  Seems overweight was not a factor in the early 1900s.
These photos of life in the US at the beginning of the 20th century are truly a walk back in time. The first photo below looks the same today and many of you have entered it on the way to NY.  The third photo shows how trolley cars were air conditioned in the summer.  The clarity of these photos is truly phenomenal.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/podakuni/Historical/story

024 | 1901| Buffalo , New York. "Unloading ore from whaleback carrier" 

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d82/podakuni/Historical/story

042 | 1905 | Buffalo , New York. "Jack-Knife Bridge, City Ship Canal , foot of Michigan Street" 

Absolutely stunning The second pic is about a golf balls distance from where I work now & in the first one , I can see "chinamans-lighthouse" .
There is a coast guard base there now .
Wow , again .
Very cool !!!!!! 

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Most of these pictures were probably taken with a large format camera. The negative itself was 3" x 5", 4" x 6", 5" x 7", or 8" x 10". Minimal or in some cases, no enlargement was necessary. I once took a class on old-time photography and have taken pictures with antique cameras onto 8" x 10" glass plate negatives. Then a contact print was made. The clarity was amazing. But... thank goodness for digital. Now the newest digital pictures can get pretty close to the quality of the old large-format contact prints.

Yep. If you go to the original site (or the original original: library of congress) they will tell you the original format and most were large format glass plate. Shorpy admits to some enhancements as well.

Still, awesome old time photos (I shot exclusively film MANY years into the DSLR revolution until the cost of developing 6 months of film was more than it cost to get a semi-pro DSLR). Never got into the large format due to cost but always wished I could.

Now with two (very little) kids my DSLR shooting has gotten to a real minimum overtaken by easy phone shots, but I am saving my pennies to put a decent lens on my Canon 5D Mark III waiting patiently in my camera bag. Now THAT'S a digital camera that can produce some detail. 
B)

• Like 1

Digger 66

If I'd have been able to move about 20 feet west ( I'd be in the river ) but this is nearly the exact same spot where that pic was taken over 100 years ago .
Michigan ave no longer continues to the outer harbor as it does in the pic , but it would have crossed the river right at the foot of that tall beige building ( General Mills today ) .

story_042_zpstkm98ulj.jpg

IMG_20150828_070153_612_zpsqxb46x4l.jpg

• Like 4