muz123

Cab

muz123

I was looking into buying a cab for my 520. Are they easy to take on and off? do you have to bolt them on? I found a site where they sell brand new ones and would just like to know how they hook up before i buy. Also does the plastic brake over time? here is the link http://www.newhavenpower.com/Toro_Classic_Snow_Cab.html 

Thanks!

Dave

Edited by muz123

squonk

My cab is a 520 cab going on a 73 12. They bolt on. Lots of parts but if you take it apart in sections it isn't too bad. The worst is the front frame. Once it's together a few bolts and it's off. The whole cab in one piece isn't terribly heavy but it's big and bulky. I have the roof and panels up on a shelf. The front frame, roof frame and rear brackets hanging on hooks. Now that all of my holes are drilled and located. I could get the cab back on in an hr.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

muz123

Thats to bad they bolt on. Is the price to high?

Ed Kennell

I don't take mine off....My 520 is dedicated to snow blowing.    But they are bolted on using the 4 seat bolts,one thru the floor board, and one to the hood stand.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Thats to bad they bolt on. Is the price to high?

I don't think $700 is a bad price for a new cab.  I paid $125 for the used cab I bought at the Big Show two years ago.   It was all there and in fair condition.  I did paint all the framework.
I modified the right front side to collect the heat from my vented belt guard.  I would not have been able to do this to a new cab that I paid $700 for.

• Like 3

lynnmor

It is most likely made by  Original Cab
You should consider a glass windshield with a wiper.  That plastic will be coated in seconds if the wind is coming your way.
My cab is just starting to show a little failure of the soft material after 20 years.

MalMac

Keep the cab clean and use Mother's Back to Black. It keeps the vinyl nice and soft. Way better than Armoral. As far as taking them on and off under best circumstances they are a pain in the butt. Storage is no fun. Myself I use a dedicated tractor. Like mention the glass front window is a must. Once you use one when blowing snow you will never go without again. 

muz123

Thanks for all the info guys! The site has other brand new attachments to!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I am guessing only. But I wonder if original cab company makes them for vermont toro? You can see Original cab company charges allmost 200 dollars more. With the savings from ordering from Vermont you could get the optional temp glass windshield, but then you need to order the hundred dollar wiper option to clear the window. Here goes another winter season coming up where I wrestle with the idea / thoughts of that big pile of cash flying out the window,,,,,,,,so I will probably  be getting snow blown in my kisse ragain this year. And then like allways I piss and moan and go dam,,,,,I should have got that cab enclosure again. Decisions decisions decisions, best of luck with what you decide. 

glenn

• Like 2

squonk

Pop the roof off (4 bolts) Pop off the roof frame (another 4 bolts) remove the back half (another 4 bolts) and remove the frt frame (4 to 6 bolts) After fitting the cab this took 20 minutes. Not really that hard to take off. The key is not to take the front frame completely apart. doesn't take up a ton of room either. If you have a cordless 3/8" impact gun easy peasy. If you have a teenager staring at a phone near you even easier.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/57793-snow-cab-project/

• Like 1

cheesegrader

I have mine hanging from the rafters of my barn on a rope and pulley system.
It only takes 10 minutes to unbolt it from the tractor, then a few pulls on the rope, and it can hang all summer.
3-400 used, so 700 new seems like a good deal.  Mine is 20 years old, and the windows aren't bad, but the fabric is starting to wear through where it wraps around the frame in a few places.
I'm going to give it to my brother this year.
Once you have had the luxury of a steel cab with real glass windows, a wiper, a defroster fan and lights, you can never go back!

• Like 2

DennisThornton

My limited experience with one cab.  Dedicate a machine to snow chores and leave it on!

my 2 cents...

Of it that just isn't going to happen...  Try to have overhead space where you can lift it up and off and hang it until needed again.

Now that's 3 cents!

Edited by DennisThornton
left to lift Of to If
  • Like 2

shallowwatersailor

The 5xi cab is even easier to install but has the the same pieces. Like Mike said, pop the top, remove the doors, I separate the ends from the top frame, and store it in the basement. I did replace the bolts that I need to loosen with stainless steel bolts, and the four bolts that tighten on the floorboards with stainless steel socket head screws.

Spend the money on the glass windshield but shop around. It is a generic fit for all of their GT cabs and I got mine from a JD dealer for about 27% off MSRP with free shipping. I found the wiper kit from the supplier to OTC for about $100.00 less as well. I just needed to fabricate two spacers.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3