tgordonjr82

2011 Craftsman push mower with B&S problems

tgordonjr82

OK so bought the mower used from a pawn shop nice mower for the price. Ran great has a bagger which is nice. Used it 3 or 4 times but now I have problems. Last time I used it it was running great, it ran out of gas I filled it up to finish mower started it back up with one pull it ran for maybe a second and haven't been able to get it running since.  I've pulled the carb off and cleaned all the jets and everything else not much to it to clean, put a new spark plug on and air filter and still nothing I can pull all day and nothing .  I was thinking its a spark issue but sparyed starting fluid in and it started with three pulls but only ran for not even a second.  So I don't know could it not be getting enough spark to ignite gas or is it a fuel issue.   When I loosen the bolt on the bottom of the carb that holds the bowl on should there be gas coming out cause there's not. No gas comes out from the carb until the needle falls out the gas pours out. Then it was thinking maybe the ignition needs replaced I don't know. Hate to take it somewhere cause probably pay more to get it fixed then its worth. 

C-101plowerpower

is the float set right? is there an automatic choke thingy on it? the more we know about the engine the more we can help, pics help a lot

Ed Kennell

Sounds like there is dirt in the float needle valve seat.  Did you remove the float and needle and clean the seat when you cleaned the carb?

If it fires when you inject starting fluid, there is spark, but you can  Pull the plug and ground it to the block  to verify you have a good spark while cranking.

tunahead72

I have two older push mowers, one a Craftsman and the other a Troy-Bilt, both with very similar B&S engines.  The Troy-Bilt recently gave me almost exactly the same problems you're experiencing.  The fuel bowl bolt acts as the main fuel jet on these engines.  I forget how many, but there's some tiny holes in that bolt, they need to be cleaned very thoroughly with spray carb cleaner or a very tiny wire.  Once I cleaned the bolt on my Troy-Bilt, it started immediately and, knock on wood, hasn't given me any problems since.

tgordonjr82

OK so first thank you for the help.  So I went and recleandes the carb and the bolt with the hole in it and it started up ran for ten to fifteen minutes the shut off .  I have to wait a few minutes before I can start it after it shuts off. It's running rough likes its not getting enough gas.   I think I might have the needle upside down if that's possible I do not know it it would start upside down.  The pointed end of the needle seems like it should face up toward the top of the motor so thats how I put it but it wouldn't start , the other end of the needle is kinda flat.  I put the flat end towards the motor and it started but it ran hard wondering if I have the needle upside down.  Getting spark and fuel obviously but only runs for 10-15 mins then shuts off if I wait a few minutes will start but then the cycle repeats 

tunahead72

Needle should point up, may be tricky to get it to seat properly, take your time and watch it carefully.
Float could be leaking. Remove it, shake it gently, any sloshing indicates a leak, will need to replace.
I would replace the fuel line, and check the openings at the outlet from the gas tank and the inlet to the carb.