jcp0420

Raider 12 Rat!

jcp0420

Alrighty everyone, Im starting this build log early.  Will try to update as soon as possible but the farm is hectic since harvest will be starting in about 3 weeks. I barely have time for anything these days. I bought this raider 12 for my engine overhaul class coming up in October.  I will be performing almost everything in the shop at the college. But I will get some things done in these next few weeks when I can. I will put a list on here since I myself am very forgetful lol. But anyways onto some pics to hold you all over and a list of what will be done.  

Future upgrades and Parts already obtained:

-Lug nut conversion
-Completely repainting the whole unit flat black besides the hood (will respray copper with a high gloss clear) and maybe do some body work.
- Paint a couple accents with Sea Foam Green 
- Pin stripping on some parts (hood, belt protector panel, rear end behind seat)
-Custom old school headlights
-LED tail light in place of old tail light
-Custom gas tank (If I can find one)
-Extend shifter 4-5" with a custom shift knob (thinking about a beer tap or a piston)
-Some kind of knob for the high/low shifter
-Find some sort of seat
-Build a panel for the shifter and a block off plate for the hood where the headlights used to be. (Going with the brushed aluminum look)
-Maybe add some LED of CCFL tubes (white) for a little extra lighting
- Redo most of the wiring and clean it all up so it looks presentable (May even try to hide the wiring for a cleaner look)
-Try to find wider rear wheels or a wider tire with a shorter sidewall (having trouble with this one)
-Find new front tires similar to whats on it now

Motor wise its not the factory motor. Its a Briggs 8hp. I have been scouring craigslist for a bigger motor but if I cant find one then I will settle with the 8hp. 

-Completely tear down and clean the whole motor (maybe paint with hi temp black as well)
-Rebuild motor (Gaskets and all)
-Rebuild or clean carb (Possibly get a newer carb)
-Add open air cleaner similar to a cold air intake
-Clean and polish exhaust stack

And last but not least the lowering/suspension parts

-Re do the front end. Its a hack job. I don't like it at all.
-Figure out how low I want the rear. Measure, Measure, Measure lol.  I am thinking of just doing somewhat of a 3-4" body drop. 
-Clean up the trans axle (I know it wont be seen but still haha)

Been tossing around the idea with a couple friends of somehow incorporating air ride into the suspension. I'm thinking I will either spend way too much on the whole thing or get way too far in over my head and never finish the project. But I will still try to figure out how to fabricate such a crazy idea someday. I plan on keeping this for quite a while so who knows. Never seen a mower period with air ride. Would be pretty cool but I would have to rebuild EVERYTHING to do such a thing. But who knows with me.   If I come up with any other mods a long the way I will add them. I will take pics throughout the whole process. For here and for the class so I can make sure I document everything. Thanks for checking out my build log.....If you have any suggestions go ahead and throw them up in here. I'm open to hearing them all. 

I know this is a lot to read through but I'm also keeping this as a way to remember what I wanted to do! I will also go out to the farm tomorrow and get a bunch of pics of the whole thing for you guys!

mywheelhorse2.jpg

• Like 3

Aldon

If you aim for mediocrity, that's usually the highest you will hit. Might as well be ambitious.

keep us posted

• Like 3

JC 1965

Can't wait to see it when you get finished. Looks good now. Keep the pics coming and  :WRS:

• Like 1

Pullstart

If everything on a farm has it's use, what kind of hay is that going to haul?  :ychain:

Nice project, look forward to seeing the updates!

• Like 1

jcp0420

Here is a few more pics. Thanks for all the support guys! I wont disappoint!

And If anyone has any info on this motor that would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to find anything yet!   

Also, for some of you wondering about the whole air ride thing, I added a pic of my other project that is far from done. Its an 02 Blazer with a full air ride suspension. Pain in my ass most of the time but I still love working on it lol. 

mywheelhorse3.jpg

mywheelhorse4.jpg

mywheelhorse5.jpg

mywheelhorse6.jpg

mywheelhorse7.jpg

mywheelhorse8.jpg

mywheelhorse9.jpg

mywheelhorse10.jpg

• Like 2

Coadster32

I like it so far. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

jcp0420

Well I guess I cant edit my first post so here's some updates and such.

-Will be ordering the rebuild kit for the engine in a couple weeks. (Will be tearing it down in class)
-On the fence about a completely new paint job. I was looking into themes but I may just do an odd ball rat rod style.
-Working with a few others on a complete one off custom frame with a custom front end and mini 4 link rear.  Will be on air ride and shocks to keep it a smooth ride.
-Also building a custom trailer to match. It will be more of a place to haul the tank, compressor, and battery for all the extra stuff. Will also be either slammed or on air as well.

Edited by jcp0420

953 nut
If you decide to go with the Rat Rod theme be sure to incorporate a few horse shoes in the design; after all, it is a :wh:.
  • Like 1

jcp0420
If you decide to go with the Rat Rod theme be sure to incorporate a few horse shoes in the design; after all, it is a

:wh:

Ill have to do that for sure then! I have a couple of real old ones out in the shed! Thanks for the idea!!

• Like 2

SPINJIM

Engine looks like a Briggs & Stratton model 23.  It was made in many variations.   Obviously not original to the tractor.  

Jim

• Like 1

jcp0420

Small update for you guys:  We are in full swing with harvest so I will be starting this project as soon as class starts on 10/21.  I will also have the engine rebuild kit ordered as soon as I get time to get to the store. I'm currently working 7 days a week unless it rains. So I'm not sure when I will have time.

jcp0420

I haven't forgot about you guys! I promise.  Been very busy with finals and school work. My overhaul class will start in January and I will start the tear down of the wheel horse and motor.  Motor will be top priority, but while waiting on parts to ship I will do some work on the chassis.   Still trying to find some smaller wheels for the rear. And hoping to find chrome rings for the piston also soon. 

• Like 3

953 nut

:confusion-shrug:   Been wondering what happened to you, will be looking forward to progress reports.   :confusion-waiting:

• Like 1

jcp0420
On 12/18/2015 at 0:05 PM, 953 nut said:

Been wondering what happened to you, will be looking forward to progress reports.   :confusion-waiting:

Yea I've been fairly busy!  I had 3 finals within two days and now its break, so I've taking it easy. As soon as I get the wheel horse up to the school I will be tearing into her.  I'll order parts and use the wait time to get the rear end lowered a little bit and maybe lay some paint in a few places.  Still haven't decided if I want a new paint scheme yet or just do the frame in flat black.  I will also be getting a few things hydro dipped in brushed aluminum.

• Like 3

Pullstart

Hydro dipped in brushed aluminum?  Sounds fun!

• Like 1

953 nut

I had never heard of this process, did a search and I must say THIS IS COOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXrt1o9jASE

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

Brian01

Yeah I watched a youtube video about a month ago where a cpl fellers were doing that with a dirt bike fender in a 5gal bucket....water and spray your spray paint it it, several diff colors, mix and dip...pretty cool effects! Also a guy done his deer skull mount that way. 

953 nut

Another Hydro Dipping video. This is even cooler, can't imagine how that would look if a whole hood was done like this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2KR-bCKQCA

• Like 1

Pullstart

Oh yeah, I've seen that before too!  Forgot what it's called, sweet stuff right there!

jcp0420
14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

I had never heard of this process, did a search and I must say THIS IS COOL!

If the local shop that does the dipping could fit the hood of the raider in their tank I would do it.  But I dont think its going to fit.  You gave me a good idea though.  The plate that protects your leg from the belt may get some skulls to match the hood!  I wanted to test the pieces from the mower to see how I liked it before I did some of the interior pieces on my blazer.  Brushed aluminum will be my main go to.  With a rough brush stroke, the fine brush stroke doesnt look very good IMO.

• Like 2

19richie66

This thing looks good. I have to get back to working on mine.

jcp0420

Alright guys I'm back. Started the tear down yesterday... And it's what most call a hack job. The motor had 3 bolts holding it down, the motor leaked all the oil out, and the rear end leaked everything out as well I'm pretty sure....lol

I do have pictures. Not much but there's some. Some things are getting re done/ re welded. Building a new wire harness as well and probably re building the rear end if I can find the parts.  And also I have the ampere meter with what looks go be a heat sink...what is this?  Never seen one before like that. Has pins on the heat sink but wasn't hooked up when I got it.  

Pics will have to wait til tonight. I can't upload from my phone unfortunately but I will take more pics through out the day. I'll post one to hold y'all over haha

IMG_20160111_121312200.thumb.jpg.fcd8024

Edited by jcp0420
  • Like 3

AMC RULES

:blink:  What ever you do...      :angry-nono:

don't let any of that green stuff get on it. 

• Like 4

C-101plowerpower

that heatsink thing is the voltage regulator

• Like 2

RedRanger
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:blink:  What ever you do...      :angry-nono:

don't let any of that green stuff get on it. 

I was just wondering how he planned to mount that hood!

• Like 1