jcp0420

Raider 12 Rat!

jcp0420
25 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Didn't think it was gonna last long. 

Hence the :auto-ambulance: in reply #102 here. 

Yep. Sadly thats the stock pulley as well. Im going to buy another a drill my own holes. I'm not sure when though so it will be a paper weight til then!  This is the starting pulley that I had re welded and assured it was going to work.  I guess I may as well fix it now lol

4 minutes ago, squonk said:

As I was glancing thru the photo's I was going to advise those aluminum pulleys are not designed to do what you're trying to accomplish. someone's going to get hurt! :angry-nono:

You know, you arent the first person to tell me this.  This was only supposed to be a cruiser. Nothing super fast nor race worth. More of a rat rod. But I will be re doing all the pulleys and adding a few closer to this summer hopefully.

Edited by jcp0420
  • Like 1

squonk

Those aluminum spoke pulleys are not designed to handle the torque load & stress you are going to be putting on them in this application. Those pulleys and bad welds = grenades Do  yourself a favor. If you want to swap pullies so it is faster than your average tractor, dig thru some tractor junkpiles at yards, at mower dealers ect, and find pulleys that were designed to move a tractor that are iron ,steel and are solid

Edited by squonk
  • Like 5

jcp0420
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Those aluminum spoke pulleys are not designed to handle the torque load & stress you are going to be putting on them in this application. Those pulleys and bad welds = grenades Do  yourself a favor. If you want to swap pullies so it is faster than your average tractor, dig thru some tractor junkpiles at yards, at mower dealers ect, and find pulleys that were designed to move a tractor that are iron ,steel and are solid

The one that broke was already on the motor. It was the starting pulley.  I had cracked it earlier on in the build and cant find another. Seems to be an obsolete part.  It has a special bolt pattern and recreating isnt going to be easy but can be done. As for the other pulley that is a spoke design, I see nothing wrong with it. It has held up this far and wont be changed.

Edited by jcp0420

AMC RULES

jcp0420

Until further notice....(couple months at the earliest) I'm done with this build and updates. I'm stressed out to the max on this thing.  It will be taken home and stuck in the shed til the weather warms up and I can get my wood shop/shed cleaned out to move it there.  While on my mini vacation from it I will be gathering parts to rebuild it. And also searching for an RJ as I would like to make that my next ratty build.  Parts I will be gathering:

• Different motor ( Thinking about a Predator 420cc)
  • Parts to live axle swap
  • Tons of metal for one off parts and also I would like to stretch the frame a little.
  • New wheels/ tires
  • Maybe some other off the wall things.

As before when I started this thread I made a list so I wouldn't forget what I had planned. I will post pics again of another tear down and get more in depth of the build this time.  I should've done all this the first time lol.  But you live and learn. But I will still be active as much as possible learning new things about wheel horses every day.

• Like 2

jcp0420

Updating everyone since I went MIA...

Trying to close a deal on 2 wheel horses at the moment.  One is a raider 12 and the other is a charger 12. Both all original and will be tucking those away for awhile. Going to start working on the Rat whenever I get a chance to clean out the shed at my home. I'm working 6 days a week right now and about to wrap up my internship with Kubota. 

For now though I may be MIA for while longer. 

• Like 1

Cole J.

Good to hear from ya' jcp.

• Like 1

953 nut

We all need to take a break from time to time. priority one has to be doing well with your internship to secure long term employment,keep focused on that and can pick up on the Rat Rod when time is better.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

jcp0420
22 hours ago, 953 nut said:

We all need to take a break from time to time. priority one has to be doing well with your internship to secure long term employment,keep focused on that and can pick up on the Rat Rod when time is better.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Got hired full time as of yesterday!  So once all the rain decides to leave central IL I will be getting to cleaning out the shed. 

I am also going to pick up the charger 12 tomorrow.  I will probably start a new build thread but I plan on keeping it original and using it for mowing. But it still needs a couple things. So be on the look out for the new thread and pictures....tons of pictures!

• Like 1

953 nut
20 minutes ago, jcp0420 said:

Got hired full time as of yesterday!

:occasion-partyblower:     Good news.  :banana-dreads:   :banana-tux:   :banana-explosion:  :banana-guitar:

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Yay! well done!

James

• Like 1