whfan74

Grabbed another one!!!!!

muz123

WOW! Great find! Now you have 2 out of the 225!

• Like 1

wh500special

actually, he's got 2 out of 200.  That makes Scott a 1-percenter.  

Nice grab!

• Like 7

muz123

actually, he's got 2 out of 200.  That makes Scott a 1-percenter.  

Nice grab!

Oh, i Mustafa got mixed up with the amount of 520-8's that were made.

• Like 2

stevebo

Nice pick up Scott!! What in the heck did the guy do to it to break a 1 1/8" axle??

• Like 4

whfan74

I have no clue.....when he told me axle, I was thinking up front.  It is sheared right off withe the hub still bolted to the rim.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Chrome Wheels, WOW!
They sure did't look Chrome in the first pre-wash photo . . . 

• Like 2

Terry M

You guys east of Minnesota always get the good stuff!!!!!:angry-banghead::teasing-poke:

• Like 4

Shynon

You guys east of Minnesota always get the good stuff!!!!!:angry-banghead::teasing-poke:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

wallfish

Nice pick up Scott!! What in the heck did the guy do to it to break a 1 1/8" axle??

Dual wheels.That's how I broke one.
It broke right in the keyway

Nice score Scott

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Nice score Scott

Nice score Scott

Dual wheels broke a 1&1/8th inch axle? I sure won't ever be running dual wheels on any of mine. Thanks John for the heads up!

• Like 2

jackhammer

Good for you Scott  - - -   :bow-blue:     2 ??     :text-woo:

Rick

Edited by jackhammer
  • Like 1

Sparky

Great fine!
  It always blows my mind to think that someone shelled out 6 or 7K for one of these limited edition machines (cant remember the actual price when new) and then mows with it like its a department store cheapie. And to top it of they don't even clean it!!
Mike........

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Oh my goodness!  Sweet!

• Like 1

608KEB

The 6-7 k was 30 years ago. Now it would be about 15k. The LSE looks nice. Your starting to corner the market with LSE's!!

• Like 1

ericj

i bought a 520-H several years ago and he mentioned that he had a extra rear becuase he broke an axle, i asked him the same thing how did you do that and he said it just broke, so i guess it does happen
VERY NICE FIND BY THE WAY  :bow-blue::woohoo:

eric j

• Like 1

Brian01

I was wondering the same thing....take alot of torque or strain on that thick Axel, to break it

• Like 1

Jimf413

My question is ( How can you brake an axle ? ) Id like to know in hopes of avoiding it.  Iv owned a lot W H machines over the years and put them through a lot of hard work and situations and never broke an axle. ( YET )
I did however see a W H that broke off the rear hitch from the bottom of the trans-axle housing from over loading a trailer but that can be a week spot. Because of this, a long time friend and fellow W H owner who works for me part time we are planning on designing and building a rear draw-bar hitch that attaches to the above outer axle area and upper frame under the seat. Sort of a fixed 3 point hitch but can be adjusted for height.

Don1977

My question is ( How can you brake an axle ? ) Id like to know in hopes of avoiding it.  Iv owned a lot W H machines over the years and put them through a lot of hard work and situations and never broke an axle. ( YET )
I did however see a W H that broke off the rear hitch from the bottom of the trans-axle housing from over loading a trailer but that can be a week spot. Because of this, a long time friend and fellow W H owner who works for me part time we are planning on designing and building a rear draw-bar hitch that attaches to the above outer axle area and upper frame under the seat. Sort of a fixed 3 point hitch but can be adjusted for height.

It' all ready been done. I also raised the fender bracket, gas tank, and fender 1 3/4" and added a receiver hitch..
SAM_0490.jpg

• Like 1

pacer

A bit OT but... I worked for Delta Air lines as equip repairman. The airlines use those familiar "Tugs" (tractors?) to pull the bag carts around, so as you can imagine those things are built like a tank, but even so I had one break an 1 1/2" axle! in all the many years I worked there it was the only one. I took it home thinking I'd use it for -- something? So one day I chucked it up in the lathe and ----WHOA! that thing was HARD! Later I annealed it and it made some fine metal.

So it could just be a one in many that comes along with a flaw in the steel...

• Like 1

Pullstart

Maybe he was jumping it :)

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I'm not a metalurgist, but many of the axles I have seen broken on here were pretty obviously defected from the factory, but even so, took them 20-40 years to finally give way!

A hairline fracture or poor internal crystal structure can cause rusting from the inside out weakening the axle so one day it just goes!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

A bit OT but... I worked for Delta Air lines as equip repairman. The airlines use those familiar "Tugs" (tractors?) to pull the bag carts around, so as you can imagine those things are built like a tank, but even so I had one break an 1 1/2" axle! in all the many years I worked there it was the only one. I took it home thinking I'd use it for -- something? So one day I chucked it up in the lathe and ----WHOA! that thing was HARD! Later I annealed it and it made some fine metal.

So it could just be a one in many that comes along with a flaw in the steel...

The tugs we had in the USMC were built from 1/2" steel plate. 

• Like 1

cheesegrader

Some guys think that everything with an engine and a steering wheel is the General Lee!  YeeeeeHaw!
Amazing to stumble over something so rare.  Nice score.

• Like 3

whfan74

I feel very fortunate to say the least.  It isn't perfect, but like I said about the first one.....it exists in my collection now.

is there any way to determine which number this one is?  It does not have the number on the hood plaque and the id tag (sticker) is faded and unable to be read.