stevasaurus

wheelhorse 857

stevasaurus

been looking around for a group that knows wheelhorse tractors...found them...thanks to bell

I'm working on 1 of 4 tractors at the moment...all wheelhorse with kohler engins.

My dad had a lawn bussiness 70's & 80's...when he passed, I cleaned out the pole barn and found 4 tractors and attachments...none start (at the moment). I was

looking to fix 2 and sell 2, but after reading some of the forum, I am re-thinking

my position into making this a hobby. You people have shown me your passion for

the best in garden tractors...thanks I think.

Anyway, I need some help and ideas and will post some pictures of the stable. The 857 has a plow on it which is why it is first in line. It may start with a new battery, spark plug, oil change and fuel line. Just had the gas tank boiled out and sealed...need a new petcock on bottom of tank...may have to rebuild the carb?

I am not sure what year and model the other tractors are...2 are pull start and

probably 1960's...the other is a key start.

Attachments are sno-blower, tiller and a 4' lawnroller...each tractor has a mower deck. I have no manuals, so I am not sure how to hook up belts.

Just so you know, I have tools and knowhow...lack direction, don't ask the wife.

Would I be correct in thinking that the 857 is a 8.5 horse built in 1967?? :hide:

thanks

bell

Steve, :hide:

Glad you found us!

The 857..... 8hp (8), electric start (5), 1967 (7)

Looking forward to pics!!!

Brian1045

:hide: :D:hide:

:omg: Be careful...this place is very addicitng :omg:

stevasaurus

I couldn't believe...one stop shopping :banana: got the battery, gas line, petcock,

clamps, sparkplug...gas tank boiled out and coated. Going to jinks myself and say

I am looking at a nice saturday. I am crossing my fingers, but my faith is in kohler. I could very easily get hooked on this, but I have been around too long.

I just spent 2 years getting a 1964 Ford Custom running...rebuilt engine from Jasper and everything underneath. Will put tractors infront of car for background shot...cherry. I learned how to drive stick on this when I was 15...my grandfather brought it new. :hide:

stevasaurus

2 questions.....is there a can of spray paint availible that is Wheelhorse Red or so close to it that it would take a trained eye to notice...want to paint the gas tank and the holder for the battery without getting out spray guns...if I have to I will, but I just want to protect the surface at this point...?

qusetion number 2...in serching the forum and seeing what you people list in your stable, I have yet to see an 857 tractor anywhere. Is it a rare bread? When I called the Toro-Wheelhorse deales 2 days ago, the person on the phone said he had not heard of that model...I informed him that I was in there the other day and it was in his computor. It was there and they had the part. I don't know...is this a rare bread...should post pictures of it this weekend....thanks :hide:

stevasaurus

just spent the day with the 857....followed the lack of gas...boiled out gas tank, new gas line. Wasn't pumping any gas...rebuild the fuel pump (the needel valves were stuck)...started pumping gas, would start with some starter fluid...rebuilt the carborator and it started :banana: :banana: adjusted the screws and it runs great...what a nice feeling of satisfaction and what a pleasure to work on :hide: I have to admit...what a nice sound also...the next thing is to take it off the trailer and make sure the rearend is OK...this one has a plow on it so I am naturally looking for snow. I couldn't have done it without the help of you guys...read some nice tips about the gas flow and checking out things....thanks Redsquare :hide:

pics coming...I think the tractor is easier then figuring out a digital camera and posting the pics...might need some help with the posting...tried the help site with no success :D

that's why I am a stevasaurus. :omg:

HorseFixer

:D stevasaurus you will find this very addicting! :hide:

KyBlue

stevasaurus - Great job, and your right it is a great feeling, and a Cool sound!!

Posting photos is pretty simple actually, upload them to a site like Photobucket or Imagecave, or someplace similar.. Then when you want to post the image here... use the URL (the Http:// deal) and put [img ] around the front of it and [ /img] (delete the spaces so its [....] If i do that here, it wont show up) around the back of the url. Sounds harder than it is.

Michael Bullington

Hey sounds like a great herd of horses you have!..This is a fun hobby and this is a good time to be in the forum, because soon as the good weather hits most of us are out at a tractor show, checking out the horses and chatting with our buddies :horseplay:

P.S There are many tractor models missing from the pictures...I wouldnt say the 857 is rare, but hey all the older tractors are rare! :hide:

stevasaurus

stevasaurus
wheelhorse857002.jpg
I may have figured out how to post a picture...if it works...this is the 857 :hide:

stevasaurus
wheelhorse857002.jpg
this is the 857

stevasaurus
wheelhorse857001.jpg
I am obviously having some problems while I am experimenting with photobucket...who says size doesn't matter...any sugestions would be helpful :hide: thanks :D

stevasaurus

wheelhorse857003.jpg

one more pic :D

question...I noticed an oil drip from the driver pully on the rear end...not bad but I think the seal is old and no ggod...what does it take to fix??? :hide:

also...if I drain the rear end...what type and weight of gear lube should I replace ti with...noticed a little froth by the inlet plug???

the tractor has set for probably 15 to 18 years.

wallfish

Right below, where you choose to download, there is a drop down for the size you wish to save them as. 640 x 480 is a good size

wallfish

I was waiting for pics of your machines. Nice machine :hide:

You can also add more than 1 pic to your message too

stevasaurus

thanks for the help guys...if you don't mind, I will try it again with the better size and the pics in one post... :hide:

stevasaurus
wheelhorse857006.jpg[
this is a test of my ability to advance from a DOS/Windows 3.1 guy :hide: bear with me.

stevasaurus
wheelhorse857002.jpg
hope this is the right size.

oldandred

nice looking tractor i sold one to my boss about four years ago and tryed to buy it back he said sure for two times the price I :imstupid: sold it for i have a set of factory decals for the hood for the tractor but he aint getting them you ask about the seal thats a 1232 wheel horse number I cant find my cross over book its here some were tranny is 1 1/2 qts ofbook says 90-140

good luck with the 857 keep us posted

stevasaurus

thanks Oldandred...hang on to those decals...I may end up with a nuts to bolts...if the trans seal is a rope seal it may reseal itself...I coundn't be that lucky...the bad thing is I thought after 2 inches of snow I would get it off the trailer and have some fun...had it started, put the ramps up and it quits running last night...don't know :omg: got some spark...but doesn't seem like it should be,coil wire, points,condenser...have to check...maybe float stuck again...hoping for a nice weekend...they have been sitting so long, and you get them running and the next thing happens :hide::D I knew it was too easy just to take care of the gas flow...signed disheartened and stronger for it :omg: ...if it wasn't for the forum I might have beat it with a 3 pound hammer...I did that to an old lawnmaster snowthrower...they made them in Indiana back in the 70's...put it on the treebank and somebody picked it up...made me feel good :imstupid: :imstupid: I am enjoying this...misery loves company :hide:

poodle

hey I must say I dig the pinstripping

noncritical

nice tractor on my plow you can reverse the cutting edge turn it upside down to save the plow