Dfrance46

need help with 314-8 key ignition

Dfrance46

Just started to work on this old wheel horse I got off a guy for a case of beer. I need help figuring out how to hook the key ignition up. Here's what I have for a switch and wires.

1439862856096.jpg

1439862944842.jpg

WNYPCRepair

Do you know what year it is? Model number would help. 

Here is a 95 wiring diagram, I don't know if the ignition switch wiring is the same for all models or not. 

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4664-tractor-1995-314-8-da-om-wiring-snpdf/ 

Save Old Iron

First things first. What type ignition system is on the engine?
Magneto or coil ?

The switch you show is appropriate for a COIL based ignition system.

• Like 2

Dfrance46

Model #73400

seria# 4900679

Dfrance46

Old iron, I believe it's coil. The switches prongs on back are labeled as followed from top clockwise, B S I A R. Then for wires I have two black wires in one connector, blue, 2 tan into one connector, red, and two white into one connector.

Edited by Dfrance46

Dfrance46

I'm not sure which wire gets hooked to which prong.

gwest_ca

Sounds like you have the wrong switch. You should have magneto igntion unless the engine or ignition system has been changed.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4500-tractor-1994-314-8-314-h-wiring-detailed-492-4509pdf/

You can get a replacement connector with leads that will plug into the back of the switch from Napa or other supplier.
Here is a link to one so you know what they look like.
https://www.bantasaw.com/catalog/viewproduct.asp?i=1168&p=1326
The wires and terminals can be relocated to better match the original wire colors.

Garry

116338 Magneto ignition switch SS.jpg

Edited by gwest_ca
  • Like 1

Save Old Iron

I'm not sure which wire gets hooked to which prong.

Before we can determine which wire goes where, we need to be certain of the style of ignition system on the tractor. As Gary states above, if your engine does not have a visible ignition coil which is operated off mechanical points, you have the wrong switch.

Putting the wrong switch into a magneto ignition tractor can burn out the magneto coil in minutes.

• Like 1

Dfrance46

The tractor ran before a few weeks ago, it didn't like to keep its prime tho. So I ran a new fuel line and bought a new battery ( since the old one was no good) and in the process I took that panel off and carefully wrote down where each wire goes. Well my wife threw the paper away and now I'm lost where each one goes. So if it ran before then I'm assuming it's the right switch. I would just start the whole resto thing now by I'm getting really tired of push mowing my lawn, and figured it would make a good winter project for me.

gwest_ca

What we are trying to do is get you going without burning up the very expensive original ignition system. You so far have not verified what type of ignition you have as someone may have modified other wiring to make the wrong switch work.
The original ignition is self powered. The blue ignition wire simply grounds the ignition to shut the engine off.

Try this.
Connect the red wire to the B terminal
Connect the 2 tan wires to the S terminal.
Leave all the others off but isolate them so they can not short to another wire or the chassis metal which is ground.
Make sure the pto is OFF
Push the clutch pedal down
Try to start it.

It should run but you won't be able to shut it off. To shut it off ground the blue wire to the chassis metal.

Let us know what happens.

Garry

• Like 1

Dfrance46

I'll dig back into tonight after work. I'll update.

rmaynard

A picture is worth a thousand words, so to elaborate on the inquiries above, does your engine have one of these? Or does the spark plug wire come straight from under the flywheel?
coil.thumb.jpg.28ec36e19a969953212f1ca4a

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

or post 2 quick pics of he engine- one straight on to the flywheel side and a second view of the backside of the engine facing the steering column

Dfrance46

Sorry I haven't updated, ( I work road construction) so during the week I work 16 hour shifts. I believe this is what you were looking for.

1440206139504.jpg

1440206216305.jpg

WNYPCRepair

I could be wrong, but that appears to be the starter. Trace the plug wire back and take a picture of what it connects to

Wheel-N-It
Looking at the tins, the muffler, the starter, and the oil dip stick I'd say he has a Magnum. He needs a magneto engnine starter switch.
  • Like 2

953 nut
:WRS:     The model number you have given us (73400) is a '93 314-8 which uses the Kohler Magnum engine. Since this is the switch that you removed from a running tractor it is reasonable to presume it will work again. The terminals on the wires make me suspect that a previous owner may have improvised a bit and done some rewiring. It appears that only four wires have terminals on them and you have a five terminal switch.

Since the switch you have is not the one shown in the wiring diagram and the wiring has been tampered with we will need to develop our own diagram. Using a 12 volt test light or a Volt meter set for DC Voltage on a range that will work for 12 volts ( 30 volt +/-) ground one lead and check the wires to see which one goes to the battery; label it "B". Put a piece of tape over the "B" terminal so you don't touch it in the next steps. ( probably the red one)

Using a continuity tester or an ohm meter on the lowest setting place one lead on the small wire on the starter solenoid and check the remaining wires to see which one goes to it; mark this wire as "S". (probably the tan one.

The black wire should be a ground wire, check it for continuity to ground. Label it "G"

The dark blue wire should go to your ignition magneto. Follow the wire by hand and it should go in behind the flywheel cover on the engine. Mark it "M"

The white wires should go to  the center terminal of the voltage regulator. Mark it as "L"

Now you have a couple of choices; get the correct switch or we can figure out how to make the one you have work. If you want to use the one you have you will have to make a diagram of how it functions. put the key in a vice and put the switch on it; using a continuity tester or ohm meter make a diagram of what terminals are making a connection with each other with the switch OFF. Now make another diagram of the ones that make contact in the run position, and a third diagram of the contacts in the start position.

Post the diagrams on this thread and get some input from "Saveoldiron" and others including me; if it worked before it should work again!

Good luck.
:text-welcomeconfetti:   to  :rs:
  • Like 2

Save Old Iron

thinking one step ahead, the magneto kill wire needs to be grounded to stop the engine. The original switch does not have the terminals for grounding he kill wire.

I would STRONGLY advise you to use the proper ignition switch.

the terminal connections need some work too

314 ign wire dfrance.png

Dfrance46

Hi everyone, 

Its been a little over a year since i posted about the wiring issue. Work has had me slammed since then. As of november 27th im laid off till march. Thank god. But im finally gonna start a full resto on this tractor. So ill probably be asking alot of questions. To start off does anyone know what exact year this tractor is? I'll include a pic of the serial and model #. As for the ignition its definetly a magneto.

1482101427135238154785.jpg

rmaynard

Dfrance46

Is there any wiring diagrams and manuals on this tractor that can be downloaded?

gwest_ca

Here is a page on the ignition switch

A good set of wiring diagrams. Each circuit has it's own diagram

Tractor operator manual

Tractor parts list. Used it to look up your ignition switch and notice a switch for battery ignition is also shown so it must be shared with another model of tractor although it does not say so. Likely the 520-H with an Onan engine so be careful ordering parts.

We also have engine manuals and the transmission has it's own manual.

Garry

• Like 1

Dfrance46

Wouldnt mind those either. Planning a full resto.

WHX??
20 minutes ago, Dfrance46 said:

Planning a full resto

Start a thread in restos so we can follow & help if needed Dfrance. Bit of warning tho you may need one of these

to upload all those :banana-gotpics:the guys here will be demanding!