Ken B

The new Farm truck...

Sparky

There might be complications here... Stay tuned....

??? How so?
Mike.......

Ken B

So... Purchasing the first truck didn't work out. CT. doesn't require a title on vehicles 25 yrs or older but you do you need a past registration to prove continuity of ownership.. Come to find out the owner never registered the truck in the ten yrs he has owned it. He just used a repair plate when he used it and so did the guy before him so that leaves me with zip for paperwork. No thanks, I don't feel like dealing with the nightmares at the DMV.. Now, I just need to try and get my 500 dollar deposit back. Meanwhile, a truck popped up on Craigslist yesterday afternoon and it was really the type of truck I wanted to begin with. Something heavy duty that can haul a bed full of firewood when needed. So what was I to do? Well, I had to go check it out which meant playin hooky today. Oddly it was only 3 miles away from the blue truck.
Long story short, I bought this 1970 C30 Long Horn. Its a one owner truck with only 86,000 original miles on it. The owner had his own roofing company and this truck was NEVER left outside over night and it was NEVER driven in the snow. He was the only person to drive it as well. It has ZERO rust on it and I mean ZERO which is amazing for a CT. truck. It has a 350 with a 4 speed with granny gear. It runs and rides real nice. I have all of the original paper work and owners manual. The purchase price new was almost 3800 bucks. The guy really liked this truck and took great care of it, After very little hand polishing today I can tell that the paint will shine real nice on this old girl. What does it need? Well, the whole going over but I do know it has a bad wheel cylinder in the rear, the muffler has a hole in it and it will need a new set of tires soon. When I got off the exit for my house I happened to notice a green Dodge behind me. It followed me right to my driveway. I'm thinkin WTF did I cut this guy off or something? He gets out of his truck and walks up to me and asks... you wanna sell that Long Horn? Nope! I'm sure everyone will like the last pic best!
20150818_155136_zpse3s0id9r.jpg
20150818_170802_zpsf8qnepcq.jpg
20150818_155106_zps8klrypfn.jpg
20150818_174152_zpsf5bhuqra.jpg
20150818_174110_zps2gumqwm6.jpg
chevy-longhorn2-1024x620_zpstaid0deb.jpg

• Like 9

rmaynard

Hmm...just remember that those old odometers only went to 99999.9. Then they flipped over to all zeros again.

Ken B

Yes that is for sure, I can tell when something has been around the clock, Not this one, its way too tight and its condition is way to good. the doors open and shut better than a new cars doors would. Its still got T-3 headlights in it, original style hose clamps. Its even got BF Goodrich Silvertown snow tires on it in the rear and the factory spare tire is still hangin out back in mint shape... I'm not too sure when they stopped making Silvertown snows? You would have to see it and drive it but trust me, its the real deal. I'm sure Stevebo will give it a thorough inspection when he see's it with a full report. ain't that right Steve? 

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 1

squonk

Looks like you can carry an RJ in the glove box!

Sparky

Nice...another cool truck :handgestures-thumbupright: . Are those split rims?
Mike.........

JimmyZ

Nice catch. Looks real good. I'll be down to see it soon.

stevebo

Yes that is for sure, I can tell when something has been around the clock, Not this one, its way too tight and its condition is way to good. the doors open and shut better than a new cars doors would. Its still got T-3 headlights in it, original style hose clamps. Its even got BF Goodrich Silvertown snow tires on it in the rear and the factory spare tire is still hangin out back in mint shape... I'm not too sure when they stopped making Silvertown snows? You would have to see it and drive it but trust me, its the real deal. I'm sure Stevebo will give it a thorough inspection when he see's it with a full report. ain't that right Steve? 

Ken- 
Real nice truck for sure. Wish I could have made the trip but could not this week. I plan on checking it over though. Best thing it's a chevy!!

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

Thats awesome! My dad bought the opposite end of the spectrum as far as that style is concerned, 1972 GMC Jimmy same color. Flame Red i think it was called. This is a really old pic of it as it is almost completely restored (showable driver, not trailer queen) now. Very fun to drive with the top down!

100_1815.thumb.JPG.e54c44a06fa8c1d079347

I love that granny gear. We've pulled some really serious stuff putting it in granny gear, 4wd Low. I think you redline at about 7mph...

• Like 3

Coadster32

Not for nothing...I like the Chevy truck better. Hope it works out for you this time.

CT DMV laws are strange. I don't have the title to my Camaro, but it's registered thru continuity though. Some lady there messed up the VIN # that I'm slowly working on correcting. Might be a PITA down the road, but for now, I just keep on cruising.  

• Like 2

Ken B

Brandon, the color of the paint is Hugger Orange.. That is a real cool Jimmy. I seriously doubt I will ever have trouble pulling or hauling anything with this truck. Hope to have it registered sometime this week, next week at the latest. 

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Ken, super nice find! Here is a website for this rare model. I remember the booming RV market for this style truck at that time.

http://www.longhorntrucks.freeservers.com/index.html

Ford had it's version as well but really extended the wheelbase that placed the rear axle close to the tailgate. I seem to recall that they sold the whole package of camper and truck.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Nice C30!  I love my 69 C10 long box, it's a great truck to hop in and take a cruise.

• Like 1

Ken B

Nice C30!  I love my 69 C10 long box, it's a great truck to hop in and take a cruise.

Funny thing, my wife had off yesterday and she generally doesn't say a word about or show any interest in any of my vehicles but yesterday when she heard me pull into the yard with it she actually came outside and gave it a walk around. I asked her what she thought and she said, " finally, you bought something I actually like!" She loves the color.

My two boys, Cole 13 and Jesse 20 were also diggin it, they also like the color. My boys even pitched in with some cleaning on it but I first had to promise them a ride around the block. I even had a few neighbors stop by and they were really into it. It will be a three season truck, it has never been driven in snow and it hasn't been rained on much either as the original owner parked it inside every night and roofers don't do much work when it rains... 

• Like 1

pfrederi

You mentioned new tires would be needed at some point.  The picture would indicate your wheels are the lock ring style.  I have some experience with those as they were used widely in the Army and I have them on my M37.  Be very careful if you mount the tires yourself.  Done right there are no problems but I have seen one come off (in a cage in our motor pool years ago... bent the heck out of the cage and scarred a bunch of us).  I have changed all the tires on my M37 no problems...but make sure you chain it at least 3 ways and use a remote valve to fill . You will most likely be needing new tubes and flaps also. 

• Like 1

fireman

I worked at a tire shop back in like 86'. I also saw a lock ring fly off and take a huge chunk out of the cinder block wall. New guy didn't know what he was doing and didn't bother to ask for help. Almost took the head off of another worker  if he was standing like 3' more to the left!

Ken I would do yourself a favor and find a set of the correct size regular white steel rims and pop those nice center caps right back on there. Real nice clean truck. That's in unbelievable condition for it's age especially being from our area!

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ken. Really nice. Love that old real truck stuff. Good luck.

Glenn

• Like 1

82Caddy

Nice truck!

You can't beat the sound of an old inline 6.

9472134949_a2fe3ced5d_k.jpg

I have a 292 with a 194 head, rv cam, offenhauser 4 barrel intake with holley carb, split exhaust manifold and a 700r4 paired up with 3.90 rear end gears in my 3/4 ton 52 pickup.  Scoots right along.  I also swapped disc front brakes into mine for more stopping power.

For any inline 6 guys.... This guy has got it figured out.

http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

I've had nothing but problems with that vendor...from missed deadlines to wrong parts sent out.  Was an overall bad experience.

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
Caddy, had to comment on that sweet chevy, a real sleeper in disguise. About 12 years ago i bought a 53 studabaker from a farmer in the dakotas. 3/4 ton, the only thing i did was put the harley bar & shield decal in the rear window. That old beast got more looks at the car shows than my 41 packard. The problem was getting parts. Anyway, without dragging this out forever, just wanted to compliment your ride. Real sweet.

glenn

squonk

Ken, how's that clutch pedal? :) left leg will get a workout. Funny, all the Chevy trucks I've been around and I've never seen a Longhorn.

Ken B

Mike, yes the clutch is a workout, my left leg is going to be bigger than the right! Tonight I buffed out one side of the truck, its lookin good. I've never seen a Long Horn either. I read somewhere that in 1970 they only made 700 or so C30 Long Horns...
Tomorrow night I'll buff the other side and then Saturday I'll pull the rear axles to check the brakes and do the wheel cylinders.
20150819_195607_zps0dxu3rca.jpg

• Like 5

Aldon

I love this era Trucks. Looks great with the buffing done 

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I wanted to hit your rep button to hit 2000 for the superb buff job. Lol
my brother in law manages a longhorn steak joint. Wonder if he heard of this edition.
 haha

glenn

• Like 1

Ken B

So, my wife tells me all you need now is a camper for the back... There are quite a few nice older units out there for short money... I've owned at least a half dozen campers in my day but never a truck camper. Yet...
00606_5wpf3BeHaog_600x450_zpslfto4eww.jp

• Like 4