BOB ELLISON

C160 AXLE COMING OUT

BOB ELLISON

ok chorusguy making headway I tried to heat it with my torch but not enough grip with 3 arm puller so I had to cut hub ,
started with drill new drill cuts like butter in this cast iron, (by the way I never touched the axle with the drill or grinder wheel )
and then cut with wheel on my dewalt grinder, I cut on the keyway slot so less cutting . 41 years old hub did a good job
finally got a 2 arm puller to hold as I cut it popped and I knew it will come used chisel and taped lightly to open it
and puller did the rest. now the key wont come out, like its welded from rust but its not bad rusty or pitted  on end of shaft . any ways I got it off and axle looks good
I think the left side was replaced it came off to easy, and I think you were right on in the upper post, I think someone tried
to fix it and broke the clip trying to get off left hub, It has been replaced and they couldn't get the right off to fix it so he parked it. I know the guy
that had it was a old man like me he died 2 years age so it has been sitting outside for that time or longer.
any ways here are pictures that might help someone else trying to get a hub off

20150828_182515.jpg.68879783e058b024a057

20150828_154407.jpg

20150828_154416.jpg

20150828_154509.jpg

20150828_154632.jpg

20150828_154836.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:      Put a clamp on the inside end of the key and crank it down, place a chisel under the outside end and give it a tap, should pop out.
  • Like 2

BOB ELLISON

ok chorusguy making headway I tried to heat it with my torch but not enough grip with 3 arm puller so I had to cut hub ,
started with drill new drill cuts like butter in this cast iron, (by the way I never touched the axle with the drill or grinder wheel )
and then cut with wheel on my dewalt grinder, I cut on the keyway slot so less cutting . 41 years old hub did a good job
finally got a 2 arm puller to hold as I cut it popped and I knew it will come used chisel and taped lightly to open it
and puller did the rest. now the key wont come out, like its welded from rust but its not bad rusty or pitted  on end of shaft . any ways I got it off and axle looks good
I think the left side was replaced it came off to easy, and I think you were right on in the upper post, I think someone tried
to fix it and broke the clip trying to get off left hub, It has been replaced and they couldn't get the right off to fix it so he parked it. I know the guy
that had it was a old man like me he died 2 years age so it has been sitting outside for that time or longer.
any ways here are pictures that might help someone else trying to get a hub off .

20150828_182515.jpg

20150828_154407.jpg

20150828_154416.jpg

20150828_154509.jpg

20150828_154632.jpg

20150828_154836.jpg

thanks I will try this. I did notice when ever I try to pop it up it pushed axle in so I see why the clamp.
but are you talking about a c clamp or a muffler clamp.

:twocents-02cents:

Put a clamp on the inside end of the key and crank it down, place a chisel under the outside end and give it a tap, should pop out.

Thank you VET.

chorusguy

Great.  You are closer and closer to getting it fixed. Soak the woodruff key with pb blaster.  It is semi circular so you may be able to tap one end and it will see saw out.  Plan on replacing both of them when you reassemble it.  

Order new seals and clean up the axles.  Make sure you file down the ridge at the back of the keyway so it is flush with the axle.  I think you can put anti seize gunk on the axle to prevent this from happening again.   I just replaced my rear axle seals so I can talk you through the reassemby from seals out.  Know nothing about anything on the inside of the bearings.  Sorry I didn't get you pictures of my puller.  Thought I had taken some but they weren't on my phone.

Keep your chin up.  It will be worth it

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

ok another chapter in the C160 with a snap ring coming off . got the transmission  off today I had to remove it
because it was so dirty. cleaned it top to bottom ,I pulled it apart and needle bearings fell out where  the small pinion
gear goes in. but I did it when I pulled it apart, the end of bearing cap must have got pulverized .the axle that the snap ring
came off of is warn I think to bad  to hold it on for long. (that is a bad design)
 does anyone know if a new slot can be cut in it  to hold a smaller snap ring ??
the axle is in good shape other then that. the parking pawl has been eaten by the hungry wolf. and that is a
stp filter I hope I can get that differential back together the right way

things are adding up fast I need
gasket to put trans back together  #5999 (discontinued )
oil seals 6449 dealer ordered ,
needle bearing # 1532 
filter Napa 1410 13.49 at Napa store
hub  6465   105763-03
woodruff key----------937022   ordered dealer
and maybe axle
but I am having fun
anyways guys here is the progress iv made so far its  not very hard to take things apart
it trying to use it after you get it back togethe
r

ONE OTHER QUESTION WHY DOES ALL MY PICTURES TURN SIDEWAYS  ???????

20150829_182716.jpg

20150829_182741.jpg

20150829_191815.jpg

20150829_191823.jpg

20150829_191845.jpg

20150829_191914.jpg

20150829_191930.jpg

20150829_192216.jpg

20150829_192254.jpg

20150829_192327.jpg

20150829_193734.jpg

20150829_193814.jpg

• Like 1

can whlvr

looks good,ya things add up when fixing stuff,but its worth it,i have a 160 auto and I spent to have the pump rebuilt,it was plenty but I don't regret it a bit,i would think a machine shop could easily cut a new groove and then use a dirrerent clip,heres a pic of a puller I built with nothing more than a piece of angle iron and a few bolts and a little welding
004-10.jpg
005-9.jpg

stevasaurus

Here is an option to fix that axle.  The Wheel Horse RJ, Suburban and the first 3 speed uni-drives had 1/4" roll pins in their axles that held on the axle gears.  You could drill a 1/4" hole and get a roll pin for your 1 1/8" axle.  :)

• Like 4

WHX??

Are you taking your pictures with your phone Bob? If so you can either turn the phone or edit the photos on a desktop like I do. Either way don't worry about us lookin sideways.... most of us have rubber necks from lookin at other's tractors. :rolleyes: One of the guys here that doubles as a photo geek should start a thread on ways to take & post pics!

If you can't find the NLA gasket you can use a good automotive type sealer on the gasket surfaces.  I use a GM product for sealing differentials on trucks .... Steve says he uses something called Yamaha 40 I believe, correct me if i'm wrong Steva??

Brian01

I'm fond of he blue RV silicone, or The ol IndianHead Gasket Sealer myself. The thing is, just don't over do it, just cover it well , but don't "gob" it on and should do just fine.

Or you can actually buy gasket material buy sheets, like paper, sit it on there and use a hsmeer or something around the edges of the metal cut cut to fit and a small drill bit to mark where the bolt holes go.

chorusguy

Careful.  As I said I have never done this repair but triple check about using rtv or any other liquid sealer.  I can't remember what the material was but somebody was talking about their hydro being gummed up with something they had used as a sealer.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Buckrancher (Brian) used Yamabond #8 (??) as a gasket fix for one of his 2 piece gas tanks on a round hood in a Restoration thread.  Personally, I would cut my own gasket for the tranny.  It is too easy and the material is only $6...the Yamabond is probably $25 or more for a tube of it.  Autozone carries Karo-Pak gasket material...it is 1'  x  3'  x  1/32"...I've used this in about 15 transmissions, with no gasket sealer, and have not had a leak.  You only need to cut out the inside and punch the holes, you can trim the outside after you get it together with a razor knife.  ACE sells the punch, if you want, or you could use the right size shell casing or the razor knife to do the holes.  :)
I too would be concerned about sealer getting loose on the inside of a hydro.:ph34r:

I would think TORO still has the gaskets for about $6.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

mikekot3

GM and GMC dealerships have anerobic sealer ( cures in the lack of oxygen) for sealing 4wd front differential two piece housings.
It is a cherry red in color and a a bit viscous like hot maple syrup.
It works really well.

Brian01

Buckrancher (Brian) used Yamabond #8 (??) as a gasket fix for one of his 2 piece gas tanks on a round hood in a Restoration thread.  Personally, I would cut my own gasket.  It is too easy and the material is only $6...the Yamabond is probably $25 or more for a tube of it.  Autozone carries Karo-Pak gasket material...it is 1'  x  3'  x  1/32"...I've used this in about 15 transmissions, with no gasket sealer, and have not had a leak.  You only need to cut out the inside and punch the holes, you can trim the outside after you get it together with a razor knife.  ACE sells the punch, if you want, or you could use the right size shell casing or the razor knife to do the holes.  :)
I too would be concerned about sealer getting loose on the inside of a hydro.:ph34r:

Careful.  As I said I have never done this repair but triple check about using rtv or any other liquid sealer.  I can't remember what the material was but somebody was talking about their hydro being gummed up with something they had used as a sealer.

thats why I say don't gob it on there, if you get to much, when you put it back together, it squeezes some of the sealant to the inside then eventually comes off in there, witch really won't hurt it anyway, the oil in it wouldn't allow it to harden or hurt anything, unless it's just ALOT , like a whole tube or something, lol, then I could see it gumming something up.

But anyway, iwouldjust go with regular gasket material, cut to to fit and wah-la

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Are you taking your pictures with your phone Bob? If so you can either turn the phone or edit the photos on a desktop like I do. Either way don't worry about us lookin sideways.... most of us have rubber necks from lookin at other's tractors. :rolleyes: One of the guys here that doubles as a photo geek should start a thread on ways to take & post pics!

If you can't find the NLA gasket you can use a good automotive type sealer on the gasket surfaces.  I use a GM product for sealing differentials on trucks .... Steve says he uses something called Yamaha 40 I believe, correct me if i'm wrong Steva??

The one thing I found with posting pics from a phone (iPhone, anyway) is they turn sideways. So, I email the picture to myself, and then post it. But I found that it still posts sideways. So, I opened the picture on the computer, and saved it without making any changes, and for some reason, they are correctly oriented

stevasaurus

I do not take pictures with a phone, so I can not help you there.  I use a digital camera and upload them onto my computer...from there...I can adjust them, and turn them if need be and then upload onto Red Square.  I have no idea why pictures from an I-Phone sometimes go sideways and why you can't view them and fix that before you pass them on.  :eusa-think:
Bob...sent you a PM.

Edited by stevasaurus

squonk

I take pics with my I phone and download them to my PC. If I get one sideways or upside down I can change them on my desktop to make them right. I tried turning my monitor to make them look right but I kept knocking my Marvin the Martian doll off the desk with the monitor cord. Then I have to fish him out from under the desk. PITA!!! 
228109581avatar.thumb.gif.0e26165cabb6e3  252301634avatar.thumb.gif.cf1e38c5a5d070

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

yes I am but I have it on the lowest setting 640x480 and I copy them to my computer and then I add them to the site.
they look ok on my computer but every one is sideways when they are posted on the site .
I do have my phone set to auto rotate but I don't think that's it ,  but I will try it with out rotate and see it  makes any difference.   
I have to post some more pictures here and I will see if it is that.

BOB ELLISON

Here is an option to fix that axle.  The Wheel Horse RJ, Suburban and the first 3 speed uni-drives had 1/4" roll pins in their axles that held on the axle gears.  You could drill a 1/4" hole and get a roll pin for your 1 1/8" axle.  :)
702transmission022.jpg

I did review this on the web, but I got a axle and hub coming from shuboxlover he did me good but I will have a spare axle and I can try this
if I need to. 

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I do not take pictures with a phone, so I can not help you there.  I use a digital camera and upload them onto my computer...from there...I can adjust them, and turn them if need be and then upload onto Red Square.  I have no idea why pictures from an I-Phone sometimes go sideways and why you can't view them and fix that before you pass them on.  :eusa-think:
Bob...sent you a PM.

The weird thing with mine is they were oriented correctly on the computer (Mac), but if I upload them, they were rotated to one side. For the sake of this post, I'll say left, though I really don't remember which direction. So, I rotated it on the Mac, even though it was then sideways on the Mac (toward the right), uploaded them, and they were still rotated left. If I open the original picture, and simply save it without doing anything, it is then oriented correctly after uploading. 

I also noticed that even though they might be rotated after uploading, when you click on them to enlarge them, the full size is oriented correctly. 

I think the part that is rotated is a preview that is somehow embedded in the picture.

BOB ELLISON

Thank you gentlemen

I have a lot of questions for you experts

I have to remove the hydro to get to the screen according to repair manual.
I will buy gasket material but what thickness Brian01 says 1/32 the old gasket was very
Thin .  This Trans has been worked on or should I say beat on
How does the needle bearing get pressed in from inside or out??
Can I put the needle bearing in with a bearing and race kit or does it have to be pressed in?
It is the 1” bearing #1532.

And upon checking out the Trans the dreaded 1533 bearing is close to coming apart and I know from all the posts it is a hard one to find, the left is sloppy and the right is tight.  Who ever Worked on this tractor beat the hub off as you can see from the pictures. The left hub Was replaced and that was the one with the snap ring came off of, And therefore the axle was coming out . I don’t even know if I can use this trans. can a expert tell me if it will even work like this. The old seals never leaked that  I can tell but I did get them out.
I ordered 2 new from Toro dealer here.

20150831_153907.jpg

20150831_153825.jpg

20150831_153844.jpg

20150831_153941.jpg

20150831_153952.jpg

BOB ELLISON

Buckrancher (Brian) used Yamabond #8 (??) as a gasket fix for one of his 2 piece gas tanks on a round hood in a Restoration thread.  Personally, I would cut my own gasket for the tranny.  It is too easy and the material is only $6...the Yamabond is probably $25 or more for a tube of it.  Autozone carries Karo-Pak gasket material...it is 1'  x  3'  x  1/32"...I've used this in about 15 transmissions, with no gasket sealer, and have not had a leak.  You only need to cut out the inside and punch the holes, you can trim the outside after you get it together with a razor knife.  ACE sells the punch, if you want, or you could use the right size shell casing or the razor knife to do the holes.  :)

I would think TORO still has the gaskets for about $6.  :)

I'm with you STEVASAURUS I will get gasket material and make my own. I don't like the idea of any getting into  hydro gear and plugging up a port
and mess up a good drive unit.

• Like 2

BOB ELLISON

Bob...sent you a PM.

The weird thing with mine is they were oriented correctly on the computer (Mac), but if I upload them, they were rotated to one side. For the sake of this post, I'll say left, though I really don't remember which direction. So, I rotated it on the Mac, even though it was then sideways on the Mac (toward the right), uploaded them, and they were still rotated left. If I open the original picture, and simply save it without doing anything, it is then oriented correctly after uploading. 

I also noticed that even though they might be rotated after uploading, when you click on them to enlarge them, the full size is oriented correctly. 

I think the part that is rotated is a preview that is somehow embedded in the picture.

I just posted 5 pictures and the odd thing is 2 are rotated sideways and 3 are fine. if you give me a plow for my 520h ill tell you why.
ok that didn't work here's why the 3 that are ok are less then 100kb the 2 that are sideways are 152kb and 133kb .
just a thought, but I will try on my next post

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Bob...sent you a PM.

I just posted 5 pictures and the odd thing is 2 are rotated sideways and 3 are fine. if you give me a plow for my 520h ill tell you why.
ok that didn't work here's why the 3 that are ok are less then 100kb the 2 that are sideways are 152kb and 133kb .
just a thought, but I will try on my next post

It's definitely puzzling.

stevasaurus

Just take a punch and tap out the old bearing sleeve...start the new one in from the out side...use a piece of 2 x 4 and tap squarely until it is in...use a punch or arbor to get the bearing to flush with outside of case if it is a cap bearing...and indented about 1/8" if you need to place a seal.  Sometimes, the right 1/2" drive socket inverted on an extension will work as an arbor.  :)

• Like 2

squonk

I bought a cheap 3/4" socket set from harbor freight. All the sockets and extensions are used to drive in bearings. The ratchet is used as a persuader bar or to keep un-savory types out of the garage! :)

• Like 2