BOB ELLISON

C160 AXLE COMING OUT

BOB ELLISON

I'm new to the wheel horse but I got tired of the same old junk lawnmower's from box stores. I needed a new tractor I can use in winter to plow
and in summer to cut grass.so I did a lot of research and I really liked the wheel horse so I purchased a 1995 520h in beautiful shape.
it will serve me well I just need a plow for it for winter, so I was on craigslist and saw a wheel horse for sale ( I got the WH bug) and I went to check it out.
turns out to be 2 WH 's . one is a   1974  WHEEL HORSE  C160 MODEL 1-0480 9  with a looks like  48 or  50 inch deck and the engine
runs good so I removed the deck because it will fit on my 520h which has a 42 inch mulching deck . and the other is a  L 156 this is a small tractor. the C160 runs good (after I rewired it)20150813_205221.thumb.jpg.253f0c4c63391e,
 I took it for a ride in the yard but when I looked at it the left axle was coming
out about 6 inch's, so I tried to push it back in but it will not go all the way in . I want to fix it up but I don't know if it
is worth fixing or selling for parts.I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIX .HELP

20150813_205307.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 3

chorusguy

I have several c160s but have never had this problem but will tell you what I think I know.  The axle is held in place with a c clip inside the rear end.  If the c clip comes off the the axle moves.  Its possible that someone beat on the hub while trying to either remove it or put it back and dislodged the c clip.  You will have to open up the rear end to repair this.  I don't believe it is terribly difficult to do but have never done it.  Fingers crossed.  That said.  The c160 is an awesome machine.  If it is running and the hydro is good it is definitely worth keeping.  I'm sure you will get good help here.  If you download the sundstrand manual you may get some insight into the repair.

• Like 3

953 nut
:WRS:            As stated above, if someone was attempting to remove the hub by beating on it they probably broke the "C" clip or the retainer grove machined into the axle. May as well jack it up and remove the axle to see what you have, It won't be a beginner level job to repair, but lots of good people here to help guide you through it.

Keep us posted and start a new topic under "Transmissions" including photos of what you find and the model number from the transmission.
:text-welcomeconfetti:

BOB ELLISON

Thanks  for your quick advice .but i don,t think it has been hit or beat on.  it was sitting outside in the element's for a lot of year's. I got it and it would not turn over.i had to check every wire including the switch.i pulled the carb off and all gas line's  and cleaned everything  before i tryed to start it.but it fired right up.now i will change all fluids if i have to pull rear axle off.i didn,t want to have to pull rear.i read that it has a c clip behind the seal.and all i have to do is pull tire and hub to fix.any and all advice is much appreciated 

doc724

If it really came out 6 inches, it is the C clip and the c-clip is inside the differential.  You have to pull the  transaxle, split it, pull out the differential and then take it apart and you will find the c-clip.  Sounds daunting but it is not.  There is a transmission repair manual here in the manuals sections.  Download it and it will walk you thru the steps.  The biggest problem you will have is getting the hubs off the axles.  BTW, if it came out say 4 inches, the hub may be slipping one the axle.  As another poster said, show us some pictures.

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square  :)  Here is the link to the manual for a 1974 C-160 auto...I'm thinking you have the #5088 transmission.  You can see where the "C" clip is in the tranny breakdown.  This is definitely worth fixing...while it may be labor intensive, it is only the cost of the "C" clip, maybe a couple of seals and a gasket.  Welcome to the addiction.  :)
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4639-tractor-1974-c-160-auto-iplpdf/

BOB ELLISON

Thank you gentleman I have never seen a bigger response  until I bought a wheel horse and needed help.
I have done a lot of research before I purchased  my tractor like Simplicity and  Cub Cadet 
but 
wheel horse was first because of this website.
I can see the respect for a machine that is built like a tank but drives and moves like Muhammad Ali .
( it floats like a butter fly but stings like a bee ) I will post pictures when I get started on rear end 
thanks for the help I think I can do it.

• Like 2

squonk

Let me know if you part out that Lawn Ranger

stevasaurus

You have a lot of good members around you also.  If it was an 8 speed manual tranny, I could be there in 5 hours...do this...and be home for the White Sox game.  I have not torn apart any hydros yet...and while you are not tearing into the hydro...I have not done one of those transmissions either.  I am going to learn with you, but I do know who we need to get a hold of if we need some help.  :)  Having the right manual is the best place to start.  Maybe gwest knows where there is a manual for tearing the transmission down.  I just don't want to give you any bad information concerning hydros...although I might be able to walk you through it with plenty of pictures. 

• Like 1

squonk

I think the hydro is almost the same with out the cluster gears. A gear on the hydro motor spins the differential gear. A couple of bolts hold the hydro motor to the transmission. Then all I think else that is in there is the park pawl.

• Like 2

953 nut

Mike brings up a good point, most of the time the parking pawl on these is totally shot. I think "Meadflower" did a thread a couple of years back on repairing this part, may be a good lookup.

• Like 1

WHX??

Let me know if you part out that Lawn Ranger

Quit being an ambulance chaser Mike......:auto-ambulance:  yer 'spose to encourage him to save it! :ychain:

• Like 2

Brian01

Lol sqounk cracks me up...reading down the thread...the felker wants advise on how to fix an axle coming out of tranny and all sqounk says is "let me know if you part out the lawn ranger" lmao:laughing-rofl:

• Like 2

WHX??
@squonk

:text-yeahthat: My thoughts EXACtLY....poor Bob ain't even got his 160 fixed yet and and he wants his LR for parts!!! :text-lol:

Pay no attention to & regardess of Mike"s uncouth......:WRS:

squonk

Hey I was looking for Lawn Ranger Parts.  Trying to save another. Uncouth? I knew hanging around Bus Stops would link me to the un-savory crowd! 2013_06242014WHCC0083_zps45d418ad_(2).th

• Like 4

Brian01

Bus Stop? Heck it would be cheaper to drive a :wh: from A to B....lmao

Just take a little longer to get there is all lol

953 nut

Getting back to the original topic, there is a rather complete thread on rebuilding the differential as well as a lot of good info.

Look it over and see if it helps.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/30262-gt14/?page=1

Brian01

Sorry 953 and WHX, wasn't meaning to steal a thread, just goofon off.... ..over

WHX??

Squonk to blame....We did kinda steal the post sorry...Sorry Bob....Agreed...now lets get Bob's 160 fixed.. looks like 953 has got the proper manual posted. 'Sauraus is a good tranny pro with manuals but does admit  he doesn't know jack about hydros but you can bet yer bottom dollar he knows someone that does. I am with the agreement that the c clip came off inside the diff... thats where I would start looking.

Brian01

Yeah C keeper is the culprit I betcha, and omg, what a pain to fix!

BOB ELLISON

thanks guys
already started on C160 the left hub came off with very little trouble but right side hub broke see pic. I also reposted on
another post http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/58591-c160-trans-troubles/
new to this so bare with me. now I need a hub for it .
and squonk if I decide to part out the l-156 you will be the first in line.  

hub.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON

chorusguy

Unfortunate that you broke the hub.  Now you need two.  One for replacement and one to make the puller.  I had a broken hub and posted on here and I had one in hand within a few days.  I have pictures of my puller if you need them.  The jaw pullers just don't work.  Isprayed mine with pb blaster, heated the hub with a torch and when it got warm I sprayed the axle with that dust spray for computer keyboards.  That stuff comes out really cold.  Be patient.  Check your axle size.  I believe it is 1&1/8".  5 lug.  Sorry you have to deal with this but am looking forward to learning from you.  Take lots of pictures

BOB ELLISON

Unfortunate that you broke the hub.  Now you need two.  One for replacement and one to make the puller.  I had a broken hub and posted on here and I had one in hand within a few days.  I have pictures of my puller if you need them.  The jaw pullers just don't work.  Isprayed mine with pb blaster, heated the hub with a torch and when it got warm I sprayed the axle with that dust spray for computer keyboards.  That stuff comes out really cold.  Be patient.  Check your axle size.  I believe it is 1&1/8".  5 lug.  Sorry you have to deal with this but am looking forward to learning from you.  Take lots of pictures

yes please send me photo of puller.will it work on broken hub ill make something to hold puller and ill heat it up with torch

Edited by BOB ELLISON

chorusguy

I made mine from another hub.  Doubt it will work on what you have left. I think if you score the barrel shaped part where the set screws are (you could use a hand grinder with a metal cutting wheel) and score it parallel to the axle.  Maybe score it twice at 180°then use a hammer and a cold chisel in the score marks and it would probably break right down the score line.  To get cast iron bathtubs out of houses that's what they do.  Score it then hit it with a hammer.  It breaks and they haul the pieces out.

• Like 3