BESTDOGEVER

518h oil bypass valve

BESTDOGEVER

Has anyone ever  had  to  repair or  replace the oil bypass valve on  an  onan p218  I have tried everything I know how to get this thing to stop pouring oil  into  the  air cleaner. From what I've read that is my next step short of giving up. 

boovuc

Hi Dodge,
If cleaning the mesh in the crankcase breather filter didn't help and cleaning up the flapper, which is nothing more than a check valve didn't help, you may have to do a leak-down test on your engine. Valve stem seals, rings, etc when leaking will pressurize the crank case. I'm sure there are a few other issues that can do or imitate the same and some engine guys with more experience than I have will chime in.

I suggested looking at the crankcase breather assembly when you have a pressurized crankcase on an Onan because that mesh screen can plug. Especially if the engine oil was overfilled at any time.
When it gets fouled, the flapper also gets dirty and if that can't close all the way, you get the same effect.

The easy stuff to do first is to clean the mesh filter, clean the flapper/check valve assembly and make sure the oil level isn't too high. (Check the oil with the dipstick fully inserted and screwed in slightly).
I know you checked all these. If none of these worked, a would do a leak-down test and the rear cyl is the first one I would check.

boomers_influence
dodge
what is the spec# of your engine?
it will be 5 # and a letter.
thank you boomer

BESTDOGEVER

Hi boomer its 10539B

BESTDOGEVER

Hi boovuc
I replaced the breather packing  and check valve I had the rear head off and checked the valve seats the rings and piston are less than 80 hours old on that cylinder . It runs great but it's suddenly pushing lots of oil into the air cleaner I'm baffled

Edited by BESTDOGEVER

boomers_influence
dodge
if i understand correctly you replaced the rings
and piston on the # 2 cylinder only??
i recommend a leak down test.
i believe poss. broken rings.
thank you. boomer

BESTDOGEVER

The  piston  and  rings  on #1 were  good   #2 had the  skirt busted when  the conn rod broke thanks to p/o neglect I  ran it all last  summer  with  no  problems I'm  thinking that I would check the oil  bypass valve first  because the volume and pressure  of the gases from the vent are not overly  high  but the amount of oil in it is and I  never checked that when I had the engine  torn down 

Edited by BESTDOGEVER

BESTDOGEVER

As an  update  on  this  I  opened  up the  bypass and  blew it  out ,reassembled  it rechecked  the  crankcase  vent made  sure  the  drains on both  sides were clear  and  so far it's  been  working properly. My hope is that there was some sort of debris making the bypass stick and for a change I got off  cheap.