slice15061

What did i buy?

slice15061

So i found an RJ to restore. Except I cant figure out exactly what it is, here are some pics.  I have not seen any others with the choke and throttle pulls on hood like this...i know its not a 35 thats all i know though lol.  It came with a seized up k91 which i think would be the original engine, I tore it down, the connecting rod was seized to crank shaft so i will see if i can get new rod and have a friend measure crank to see if he can regrind it...Excited about this project so any help would be great!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 5

bmsgaffer

401?

or 501?

I think the 4 was a kohler but cant remember.

CasualObserver

The 551 has the battery spot built into the hoodstand.

wallfish

Jason is right, Definitely a 1961 model 401
Deck is also a 1961 and the correct one for that tractor

muz123

Ditto.

slice15061

well i thought i bought an rj haha...whats the difference between the rj and the 401? is the 401 larger.  Paid 500 for it. too much?

muz123

well i thought i bought an rj haha...whats the difference between the rj and the 401? is the 401 larger.  Paid 500 for it. too much?

To me the size looks pretty close. I think you payed a little to much. In that condition its only worth 150-250.

953 nut
:WRS:  I agree, you have a 401 that needs a little love, not the RJ it had been presented as but a good project that will put a smile on your face when you are finished, The 401 was built in 1961 and is the same size as the RJs with better steering and a bit more power. Parts for the K91 are readily available and from the looks of things your tractor is very complete with good tires so costs should be minimized to fix it up.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress,
:text-welcomeconfetti:

CasualObserver

At $500, I'm inclined to say you're on the high side, but since you got the original engine, and the correct 1961 deck (which are actually kind of hard to come by) , I wouldn't say your out of the range... especially out there in the PA and east region. Lots of info here. Search for Suburban 401 and read up. Enjoy your project and ask questions. Keep in mind that for many questions it will help if they're accompanied by pictures of what you're talking about.

Have fun and :WRS:

• Like 5

KC9KAS

Nice find, and :WRS:

slice15061

well since i last posted i have torn down the entire tractor including engine and transmission. The crank was seized to the connecting rod, so i took the crank to a friend who has a machine shop, he typically does stuff like that very cheap as long as i do not rush him haha. The crank looks like it had parts of bearing still on it, so hopefully he can just polish it and not grind it that way i can get standard size connecting rod for it.  But i have yet to find a connecting rod bearing for it.  

As far as transmission im in process of gathering parts for it.  

546cowboy

You must be new! None of these engines have bearing inserts for the rods.

WHX??

Agree with Lynn, rod/crank journal are plain bearings. You will need to look for a rod that is .010 larger on the crank end and take the crank down to spec under new rod size. Easy job for one with a crank grinder. Should be a fairly easy find on the rod. Look in the manuals section for your k91, you should find part numbers & specs there along with a tractor owners manual & tranny info as well. Lots of us here have done or are in process of going thru a Suburban so lots of good tips here.

Have fun & remember .....:banana-gotpics:

• Like 1

Racinbob

This NOS was an Ebay find for $30.00. I had a heck of a time finding a shop that would turn the crank down for anything near a reasonable price. Finally I was told about a small shop not too far from here. I took the crank in and he wasn't sure he could do one that small on his machine but was willing to give it a shot. He was successful getting it .010 under and I'm good to go.

K91 .010 Rod.JPG

• Like 3

slice15061

Yes i got the impression there was no actual bearing there, thank you for comfirming i am new to this some what. And you got a steal on that connecting rod racingbob i cant find them cheaper than 80 bucks , but i am going to order it anyways, just waiting to hear back from my machinist..he will most likely grind it for about 20 bucks, only catch is he will do it when he gets around to it....

rick

Get the rod first, the c/shaft should be sized for the proper clearance. That is what my machinist always makes me do.

• Like 2

Brian01

I dunno, if anyone also mentioned, an RJ has a straight front axle, as apposed to a suburban, which has a curved front axle

slice15061

I did not buy the rod yet and good thing i didnt because this morning he dropped off crank and told me he was able to polish old bearing (or connecting rod) off of the journal and its with in factory specs..atleast according to the k91 service manual.  however i do have a question about the transmission, the differential bearings, bronze sleeves, were worn pretty well on one side and created grooves in the axel shaft. Can i polish out the grooves and replace bearings? or is the clearance tolerance that small that i am better off having new shafts turned?

btw should i start a post in the restorations forum? rather than continuing in here?

Racinbob

Those axles can just be turned around. That will put the damaged area in a spot inside the transmission where it won't matter. There's roll pins inside the differential and you'll have to drill new holes. They drill easily. I made a simple jig using the existing holes as a pattern and made quick work out of it.:)

axle jig.jpg

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 6

slice15061

THank you racinbob almsot such an obvious solution huh haha..ill keep you all updated, still sandblasting and waitiing for transmission parts to get here then ill start posting pics.  Thanks!