Rob.A.700

old rivals

Rob.A.700

When I first got my wheel horse the first thing on my buddys mind was tug of war. I just recently got it running and that was good enough for him. I am still fairly young and stupid so I agreed.  I must admit my money was on his tractor a 69 cub cadet 104 he had me by weight, horse power, traction (tire chains), and the fact that my wheel horse isn't up to snuff yet. So we chained up, fired up our tractors,and to my surprise my wheel horse held its own. They both just sat there digging ruts. Needless to say it ended in a draw. Things might be different when I get it running right!
IMG_5863.thumb.jpg.e6790943ba70399b671dbimagejpeg_0.thumb.jpg.6f87a17598a978d5b008102015671.thumb.jpg.fa60d10c84673d0fd6

• Like 8

cdsl810

Put chains on that bad boy and he will be riding on a TEDAC BUC !!!

• Like 6

Sprocket

Do the math:
pound for pound
tractor + deck + driver = total weight
engine HP per pound = ?

All you had to do was stand on the pedals and lean forward...
Get some rear chains, a deck and a cup holder - loser buys the beverages....

Also - That's nice vintage  CC he's got there - good on both Y'All for being into old tractors.

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thats a good little story. The mighty horse,,,,,,,,thanks for sharing.

Glenn

• Like 3

muz123

Wow! did a good job with no chains or weights. Wheel horse power :D  

Dave

• Like 2

cdsl810

BTW a similar scenario played out in my neighborhood when I first brought home my 520-H. My neighbor, with his brand new Craftsman 23hp garden tractor decided it would be fun for the kids to see which daddy's tractor would win a tug-o'-war. He had supreme confidence that his brand new hydro driven GT would be stronger than my 25-year-old Wheel Horse. This is what happened...

Keep in mind that this took place on an asphalt street. We both hitched up to a car tow strap. The kids all shouted "ready... set... go!" His tractor jerked my 520-H back a couple inches (I had taken my foot off the brake but hadn't engaged the drive yet. There is about that much play in an Eaton--I call it the slush factor) and then stopped just sitting there all locked up when the pressure built up on the hydro valves from rolling. Then I eased the motion control forward and he left skid marks with his brand new tires as his tractor started sliding backwards. He did something and hit the brake, or let up--I couldn't tell. Then he put the hammer down on his cheaply made foot pedal and the front end of his tractor lifted up. This entire time I was steadily dragging him backward. The kids thought it was great fun. Before I turned to look at him, I got all the smiles out so I could pretend to be empathetic in his miserable defeat. The whole thing kind of felt like I was dragging a log that had a little fight in it.

Ever since that storied weekend afternoon, the neighbors all have respect--and awe--for the mighty Wheel Horse. I've mentioned this in another thread, but since that day several Wheel Horses have been showing up in the neighborhood. Mostly 300 & 400 series. There is no denying what these awesome machines are capable of. And, every time I fire up the unmistakable-sounding Onan, someone pops their head out to take a look. Some of those one-upsmanship guys scramble their shiny new tractors at that moment. They were not around on that fabled day. I should hook two or three of them up to the 522xi and see what happens!

• Like 6

Sprocket

And keep up posted when you start racing...

Rob.A.700

BTW a similar scenario played out in my neighborhood when I first brought home my 520-H. My neighbor, with his brand new Craftsman 23hp garden tractor decided it would be fun for the kids to see which daddy's tractor would win a tug-o'-war. He had supreme confidence that his brand new hydro driven GT would be stronger than my 25-year-old Wheel Horse. This is what happened...

Keep in mind that this took place on an asphalt street. We both hitched up to a car tow strap. The kids all shouted "ready... set... go!" His tractor jerked my 520-H back a couple inches (I had taken my foot off the brake but hadn't engaged the drive yet. There is about that much play in an Eaton--I call it the slush factor) and then stopped just sitting there all locked up when the pressure built up on the hydro valves from rolling. Then I eased the motion control forward and he left skid marks with his brand new tires as his tractor started sliding backwards. He did something and hit the brake, or let up--I couldn't tell. Then he put the hammer down on his cheaply made foot pedal and the front end of his tractor lifted up. This entire time I was steadily dragging him backward. The kids thought it was great fun. Before I turned to look at him, I got all the smiles out so I could pretend to be empathetic in his miserable defeat. The whole thing kind of felt like I was dragging a log that had a little fight in it.

Ever since that storied weekend afternoon, the neighbors all have respect--and awe--for the mighty Wheel Horse. I've mentioned this in another thread, but since that day several Wheel Horses have been showing up in the neighborhood. Mostly 300 & 400 series. There is no denying what these awesome machines are capable of. And, every time I fire up the unmistakable-sounding Onan, someone pops their head out to take a look. Some of those one-upsmanship guys scramble their shiny new tractors at that moment. They were not around on that fabled day. I should hook two or three of them up to the 522xi and see what happens!

:happy-jumpeveryone: keep putting them to shame!! I wonder how many others have similar story's I would enjoy hearing them!

cdsl810

Top Fuel Wheel Horse?

I'm sure we could fit an air cooled VW engine on the frame. It could be a Herbie Horse.

Sorry, guys. Working through some sleep deprivation this week. Bear with me.

• Like 1

cdsl810

If you really want to see Wheel Horse enthusiasts taking it to the next level, check out one of our member's YouTube channels. Very entertaining. I especially like "Project Why Not." Kind of echoes my idea for the air cooled VW engine.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAg4adDTNzJjdsxA1D-msyA

Rob.A.700

stay tuned folks round two should be coming tonight with hopefully a video as well!!!

• Like 1

Rob.A.700

well it was an utter loss on the grass where we started made our way to the parking pad and once again a dead draw just sat there and dug ruts.
as for the videos I got them dont know how to get them here...

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Easy, just Youtube them...
then drop the links in here. 

Rob.A.700

here are the videos 
round 1 the loss

round 2 the draw

what the videos dont show is at the end his exhaust was glowing red so with tire chains that cc was workin hard

Edited by Rob.A.700
  • Like 1