dpriceute

My First Project - 701 dozer blade

dpriceute

My 701 came with the dozer blade that seems to be fairly difficult to find.  Since my kids and I were having so much fun driving the 701 around I decided to get my feet wet with restoring the blade first.  It was in pretty rough shape as you can see.  All of the metal had severe pitting.  My first idea was to strip it and use primer filler and rattle can paint.  I spent about 4 hours wire wheeling the frame rails. Through trial and error this seems to be the most effective method to remove the paint and rust.  I had the frame rails stripped and I realized that unless I had it sand blasted that I was never going to be able to get into all of the nooks to remove the rust.  I made the decision to take it to a shop to have it sand blasted and powder coated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I decided on powder coating for its tough finish.  The only downside is that the pitting is visible through the finish.   While I've spent much more on it than I wanted to, I love how it has turned out.  I ordered all new 316 grade stainless hardware from fastenal.  I got the parts back today and put it back together this afternoon.  The last piece I need to get is the wear plate for blade and it will be finished.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by dpriceute
  • Like 6

Racinbob

That looks great Dustin. :handgestures-thumbupright: It sounds like that 701 has found a great home. I'm anxious to see what you do to it.

dlashb40

The blade looks great Dustin! If the blade is any indicator as to what the 701 will look like, I cannot wait to see it!

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Great Restoration!

MikesRJ

Very nice. Well done. :)