1?0650 9

20256661269_a5fdbe149b_k.jpg

20449558511_163c86683e_k.jpg

Has this cool tool holder thing...

19820648934_b358760a27_k.jpg

No 3 point or rear PTO.

20417089406_389fa1cb55_k.jpg

19822386303_1ac59ce9f0_k.jpg

It looks like there are the control pieces there for the 3 point lift.  There are lines run to the rear just no lift arms/cylinder or control lever.

20449554721_27ef318c45_k.jpg

20255308738_09241f1b9d_k.jpg

[20443327825_e476d994f8_k.jpg

20256659149_ff2aa28e08_k.jpg

19822387953_fec5e1a1bc_k.jpg

20256672389_7eb682b638_k.jpg

20255233590_9ca55dd1f6_k.jpg

I'm going to need to source some parts/pieces to help this old horse live again.

Front steering is nasty loose.  The steering wheel has about 20* of turn before it touches anything and the column flops around like it isn't attached to much.  One of the front spindles needs a bushing/bearing or something...

20255210720_d639e3b246_k.jpg

Also on the lookout for a rear hub as this one looks pretty trashed. 

20449546151_f685b35bdb_k.jpg

I did get it to fire up for a bit tonight by dumping some fuel into the carb so good news is the motor sounded great with no funny noises/knocks.  The fuel pump isn't putting out any fuel but has fuel to it so I'm on the lookout for a fuel pump as well.  The guy I bought this from said that both tires held air but the one clearly doesn't and he's looking for a replacement tire or refund me some money.  He also said that if the engine/trans/hydro was bad he'd refund me my fuel costs both ways plus the cost of the tractor so that makes me believe that everything should work.  Guess I'll find out once I get a fuel pump and some new fuel line/filter on this thing.

If anyone has any suggestions for parts or replacement pieces please let me know.  Specifically looking for a fuel pump right now.

• Like 1

Sparky

You got the D with the best motor in my opinion. And I see the seller gave you a fuel filter....what a guy :D .
Mike......

pacer

Your steering is called "Ross" steering, and its common for these old tractors to have that slack in this box. You'll want to rebuild it. There are 2 bearings and a "cam follower" Usually the cam follower causes the slack, it gets worn on 2 sides following the worm gear. (I have a metal lathe and I just mount it in the lathe and using a carbide cutter I trim off the flat spots, its HARD!) Cub cadet, John Deere, Snapper, and several others have this type steering and you may find a kit for one of these, probably around $20. Do a search on Ross steering and you should find many postings. That box is a bit of a pill to get out - remove steering wheel and pitman arm and there are 3 bolts on the box - these 3 are the boogers to get to, but you can with some contortions.

On your fuel pump, I've just went to electric on all of my 4 D's.

Your tractor apparently was built with out the 3 point, my D-200 is that way, no 3 point or PTO.

Here a link to a Snapper rebuild that is just packed with info -
http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/10576-snappermf-1650-ross-steering-rebuild-help/?hl= ross

DennisThornton

You got the D with the best motor in my opinion. And I see the seller gave you a fuel filter....what a guy :D .
Mike......

"best motor"  
Curious.  How come?  

82Caddy

@pacer, any suggestions on a fuel pump.  I know the motor runs, but I'd like to try the hydro's out before I invest in tires/3 point/etc for it.

Still need to track down a hub as well.  I might pull that one off and see if I can get the key way repaired.

wrightorchid

NOT the Renault engine would be my guess.  Looks like a great project.

pacer

This is the type I have - 4 of them so far - they are from China and take a few days longer to get here but a price of from $12 to $20 & free ship is hard to beat. Just do a search on the bay for "12v fuel pump"

I keep a plastic auxiliary tank off some mower in the scrap yard, kinda squarish for ease of tying down and jury rig it some where on the tractor for test purposes. I'm pretty set on getting one running before I start doing a bunch of work and putting money in one.

12V Universal Electric Fuel Pump 3-6 PSI 18-21 GPH 1MPA for Diesel Petrol Engine
That hub is pretty bad, ask in the wanted section here on the forum, somebody will probably have one.

That axle is pretty whipped also. If you have a mill or know of one, you probably need to bush it - or replace it, probably the best option.

The pics are goofy on my 'puter, a few show up every time I open the thread, but most havent opened at all...

"best motor"  
Curious.  How come?  

Dennis,
That is the K-341 single cyl 16 hp, it is/was just about the cream of the crop in single cyl Kohlers, seemingly immune to abuse and loads of power - and it sounds wicked cool too;)

Edited by pacer
  • Like 2

82Caddy

Thanks for the info. Does the fuel pressure need to be under a certain amount? I have a few external pumps I've pulled from cars for transferring fuel from things but I'm not sure of the pressure outputs on them. 

I have a Bridgeport vertical mill, lathe and CNC plasma table in my home shop so if I need to get creative with things I can but I'd rather not if I don't need to...

The motor ran and sounded good for the 15-20 seconds it ran so I'm optimistic it'll be a good engine. I don't have that much into it that I can't get my money back put of it. 

pacer
Probably be iffy on car type pumps, some of those are high pressure. I think? IIRC these are 4-5psi, something around that. I think any of the car parts store would have one in a generic type.

I got a Bridgeport clone and I bushed a worn axle a while back, not a big deal except for finagling the axle onto the mill table in the proper position for boring.

82Caddy

Ordered up some new fuel line, electric fuel pump, clamps and a new fuel filter.  Should be here Wed/Thur so I can get this beast living again.  The air filter looked good so not going to mess with that.  Add another 36$ to the bill to get this thing going.

cdsl810

That's a huge hunk of Horse. The D series is very intriguing to me. I may have to add on to the stables soon. There are almost always a couple for sale around here. Nice acquisition.

"D"- Man

P.M. Sent, Mark.

WNYPCRepair

I have a Bridgeport vertical mill, lathe and CNC plasma table in my home shop so if I need to get creative with things I can but I'd rather not if I don't need to...

I would love to have a milling machine and lathe. Never used a plasma table though (or even know what it is - I assume it is to cut shapes in steel), my metal shop days were long before that, I am guessing. 

82Caddy

Plasma tables cut shapes/designs out of metal.  It's a CNC (computer controlled) machine so once you get one shape/design you can replicate it over and over to have the exact same result as the first.  It's pretty an expensively nifty tool to have.

Looks like my tractor is a 74 model (not that it matters).

I did some searching for 26x12-12 tires today since the flat tire is super dry rotted and won't hold air.  I could tube it but I question how long it would really last.  They are super expensive.  

Tonight the plan is to pull the tractor off the car trailer and get it inside so I can work in the comfort of a cave cooled shop.  

82Caddy

Yep, didn't do any of that last night.  Ended up grilling and having the neighbors over for dinner.

Good news is my fuel parts shipped, bad news is they won't be here until Saturday and I'm out of town all weekend.Guess It'll have to wait another week to get going.

WNYPCRepair

Cave cooled?

82Caddy

Yep, my house is built into a hill and has a natural cave that the shop was built in front of.  Door goes to cave plus a box fan pulling air out, A/C on the cheap :)

Edited by 82Caddy
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

How far back have you explored?

82Caddy

It's only 18-20 feet deep, 7-8 feet wide and 11-12 feet tall.  Fully enclosed so no people can enter from the outside.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

It's only 18-20 feet deep, 7-8 feet wide and 11-12 feet tall.  Fully enclosed so no people can enter from the outside.

Good root or wine cellar

82Caddy

We're trying to decide what to do with the cave, root cellar/wine/blue cheese storage or ultimate man cave :)

Has anyone used/built a loader from plans by p.f.engineering before?  I've been looking/researching loaders since that will likely be the purpose of this tractor and I haven't seen any D-series specific ones for sale.  I have the fabrication skills/tools to build one just not sure how "quality" their plans are.

I had my wife drive the D160 off the trailer last night while I pulled it with the commando.  Rolled great once I got the hydro valve to release so I feel like that's a good sign the hyrdo components are good.

19richie66

I have a good hub if you need it. Might have a good axle too depending on what side it is.

82Caddy

I have a good hub if you need it. Might have a good axle too depending on what side it is.

It would be left side when sitting on the tractor.  I haven't pulled the hub off or done anything.

I saw that, I was hoping someone had used the plans (wanted to know how detailed they really are)to build one.  I missed out on a Kwik-Way loader that was on a D-series tractor by 20 minutes yesterday, sold for 550$.  I'm so hoping the guy doesn't show up to buy it or something, but that's not nice and I told the seller that loaders go for way more then 550$.  I could really put a loader to use around my place.  Oh well, something will pop up eventually.

82Caddy

Got the new fuel components installed. Engine fired right up and is super smooth. I'm amazed. 

Put air in the flat tire last night and it's still holding air this morning. Will just wait and see how long it lasts. 

Tried to drive the tractor inside. What a disaster. Steering is wicked bad. Going to tear into that this evening hopefully. 

Good of news is it moved and the lift on the deck worked. 

What engine oil and hydro fluid should I use to replace the ancient stuff in this thing?