Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Mower Spindle Bearings

mowerman1193

What did these have from the factory.. I know they wasn't sealed since there is a grease zirk .. but was they sealed on one side and not the other or no seal at all?  Replacing the bearings in my rear discharge deck and some spindles have seals on one side and others don't.. also some have seals on both sides LOL.. The bearings I bought have seals.. I planned to remove them from one side.. but maybe it should be both sides? I didn't get my bearings from Toro otherwise I would know how they are supposed to be, LOL

Thanks,
Kevin

groundhog47

The 3/4" top and bottom (not metric) spindles with open sided top x 2 and bottom x 1 are the standard  so to speak. The bottom seal prevents "dirt" entering and grease exiting while the top is protected by the additional seal. You can as it seems you know already (carefully pry out) remove and replace the rubber seal. The top bearing I suspect passes some grease to keep top separate seal "pliable". I used to grease mine every mow thinking seal blown at bottom, only to learn I probably blew it pressure wise with over greasing (although it stayed in tact). I also get mine from local supplier, but they usually have to wait on order. The auction site :techie-ebay:now and then has has some bulk quantity deals on some for much less even with shipping than local.  

pacer

Sounds like you have the spindle where there is a "seal" seal on the top with the bearing under it. Here the bearing would have both seals removed. On the bottom only the one side seal would be removed, the one towards the blade would be left in place.

The last couple decks I've rebuilt I left the seal in place - I based this on my having had a couple other brands of riders and the spindles used sealed bearings which I got many seasons out of. I have always hated the cleaning out the huge amount of grease from my horse spindles and then turning around and pumping about a full tube of grease back in! Leaving the seals in I dont have to mess with that. Have run one season on sealed bearing and no sign of failure, when I do another  will keep the seal in.