musicmd56

mule drive knob replacement

musicmd56

I am trying to figure out how to remove and replace mule drive adjust knob on my 1979 C101.  I saw a post on WHEELHORSE FORUM some time ago but cannot find now.  Any ideas? THX.

groundhog47

There is a cross pin through knob and shaft (screw). The shaft (screw) is 1/2" and turned down to I believe 3/8"/5/16" at protrusion into knob.
You would be best getting a suitable support under pin and shaft and use pin punch and drive out pin so as not to bend end. I got one out with slight blow and another refuses to budge with almost fed hot heat  I've not had luck drilling the pins but some prob have "gooder" bits than mine! :thumbs:

• Like 1

daveoman1966

The roll pin groundhog47alludesd to usually protrudes further on one side than the other.  Using a ROLL PIN PUNCH, drive the pin from the shallow side (recessed side).  The ebonite knob breaks easily but, if yours is already broken, who cares....in that case, break off the knob any way you can...you'll be left with the brass insert of the knob.  Now you can more easily drive out that roll pin.
When attaching the new knob, first align it with a loose fitting small nail from one side.  File the end of the nail FLAT and slide it all the way thru.  Then, from the other side, start to drive in the new roll pin which will simultaneously drive the flat nail out.  It helps to file a point on to the new roll pin...lets it easily find its thru path. Leave the nail in place until the roll pin drives it out.  DON'T hammer directly onto the roll pin....hold a separate (square) drift pin against it, then hammer onto that drift to drive the pin into place.. 

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

KC9KAS
:WRS:
  • Like 1

rmaynard

We have a member who makes a nice replacement. See @GlenPettit in the Vendor section.

• Like 1

Kelsey

Amazon has these for sale :Grip Roll Pin Punch Set, 9 Pieces

$13.99  & FREE Shipping on orders over $35.

ROLL PIN FROM AMAZON.jpg

Edited by Kelsey

musicmd56

thanks everyone, that helps a lot!