Rexemouse

Another One Saved, 312-8 Loader Project, FEL

jackhammer

Tuna, reading your story on saving the horse I must hand it to you.  Good job and to Rexemouse for following through.

A video of that  would have been great,  Good luck guys with that project

Rick

Kelsey

For some unknown reason, I keep coming back to these WH
photos and look in utter amazement.:wh:

Wheel-N-It
All I can say to that project is :bow-blue::bow-blue::bow-blue:
I remember when I bought my 312-8 brand new, and I wanted a loader but could not afford it. Seeing yours brought back alot of memories of my days spent daydreaming about a loader, and wishing I had the funds to purchase one.

WNYPCRepair
All I can say to that project is :bow-blue::bow-blue::bow-blue:

I remember when I bought my 312-8 brand new, and I wanted a loader but could not afford it. Seeing yours brought back alot of memories of my days spent daydreaming about a loader, and wishing I had the funds to purchase one.

I just moved dirt today with a shovel and wagon. I still dream of having a loader.  :)

• Like 3

Forest Road

Wow!!! Job well done!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHX??

Absolutely freakin AWESOME.... my list of chores for that girl would have no end!

• Like 1

HorseHead1089

when you swapped the hubs and tires, did you do the spindles as well ? kind looks like the tractor i propped up a little bit.

Rexemouse

Thanks everyone for the feedback,  Iv'e been working the snot out of it this past week clearing land behind my house.  It does an awesome job of pealing large pricker bushes right out of the ground.  I will get some dirty pictures posted once I get the ag's and weights on it.

I believe the tractor sits slightly higher in the front due to the 520 front axle swap.  It sat perfectly level with the regular 416 front axle.   I created a post awhile ago for the hub swap http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/57457-how-to-trailer-hub-conversionupgrade-for-520h/.  

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

I believe the tractor sits slightly higher in the front due to the 520 front axle swap.  It sat perfectly level with the regular 416 front axle.   I created a post awhile ago for the hub swap http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/57457-how-to-trailer-hub-conversionupgrade-for-520h/.  

What size rear tires do you have on it?

Some 300 series came with smaller front/rear tires (15" front/22" rear). If you have 22's that would be why you are riding low out back (as your 520 conversion with hubs would have put the larger 16's out front). You can throw some 23's on it should even it out.

If not, just ignore me! :)

HorseFixer

Very nice Job!

Duke Approved!

GT14
Man you do nice work!
I want a loader real bad, I am moving 5T of stone by hand right now.
  • Like 1

dennist

Justin, 

Excellent job, it looks terrific. 

Rexemouse

I've been using the loader to clear a large area behind my property.  The area is full of nasty bushes, huge vines, fallen trees, and large mounds of stubborn dirt.  I have worked this little loader so hard and it doesn't seem to care.  I don't think I can break it if I tried.  

Here is a video of Tunaslayet and I moving a huge rock that we pulled out of the mini jungle.  I'm not sure what it weighs, but it is seriously heavy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utwPdprSvyE

Here we are moving a large mound of stubborn dirt.  We probably moved 10-15 yards of dirt in just a few hours (2 evenings after work).  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq1whwMtxjE

WP_20150810_008.thumb.jpg.2422c7e23ec388

Thanks everyone for the support.  Thanks Dennis for the 416-8.  It plows like a champ.  

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Very nice. 

JAinVA

Justin,

You are the man.Love what you have done with the machine.I have bought the PF engineering plans for the loader you have based on what  you posted.Does the 312 you own  have 1" axles or 1 1/8".If they are the 1 inch then blowing the differential will continue,I'm afraid.Based on your posts I am building a 312a to  handle the loader duties.Gear reduction steering and a 400 series trans.The engnine choice is open at this time but a 20 horse Onan is appealing.Love the helmeted kitty.Luck,JimAnderson

Edited by JAinVA

Rexemouse

Jim,

That is a good point about the trasmission.  The 312 is from the 90s and did  have the 1-1/8 axle 8-pinion diff.  I replaced it with an identical transmission from a 416-8.  

Regarding your engine choice,  I find the single 12 to be sufficient for everything I do.  A 14 or 16 single would be my first choice for a loader. The singles are extremely reliable, fuel efficient, and much quieter than the twins.  They also like to sit and idle, which i find myself doing a  lot.  I just love the quiet and unremitting heartbeat of a single kohler while manually loading the bucket or tying up some roots/ vines to pull out.  Although a 20HP Onan chugging through 2 feet of snow is a sound I cant get enough of.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Justin

• Like 4

JAinVA

Justin,

I am still trying to figure out which later WHs have the 8 pinion transaxles .I sold a late 80's 310 transaxle to a member here that had the 1"axles.I have a couple of 14 horse Kohlers in the shop now waiting for rebuild and will put one on the Dark Horse for now.The 20 horse Onan is in pieces but I really like the smoothness of the thing.The 416h has me spoiled.Everybody is busy but keep us updated.

A lot of oldsters like what you are in to.Luck,JimAnderson

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

roadapples

Once you have a loader you`ll never want to be without it. The older I get, the less appealing a shovel and a wheelbarrow are...

• Like 5

JAinVA

I have access to two loaders here.A 440 JD track loader with a 1 yrd bucket and a Ford 3400 with 1/2 yrd bucket.They both do the job but I am thinking something more able to work up closer to things that don't like getting hit like the house or pole barn.I have many hours with a shovel moving dirt and am just about through with that as mid sixties approach.Good job Rexemouse.JimAnderson

• Like 2

WHX??

Boggles the mind to think it was once in a dumpster:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
On August 9, 2015 at 9:15 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

I just moved dirt today with a shovel and wagon. I still dream of having a loader.  :)

So, I built a loader. No more shovel. Amazing the things you can use it for. :)

• Like 1

TunaSlayet

Will someone please start convincing Rexymouse to order the plans from PF engineering for the backhoe. I am working on him, but I think a little peer pressure from the red square might help. Just a matter of time really. I know Wallfish has a PF backhoe. Perhaps he could provide a first hand opinion on the backhoe design and usefulness??

Edited by TunaSlayet
  • Like 1

C-101plowerpower
47 minutes ago, TunaSlayet said:

Will someone please start convincing Rexymouse to order the plans from PF engineering for the backhoe. I am working on him, but I think a little peer pressure from the red square might help. Just a matter of time really. I know Wallfish has a PF backhoe. Perhaps he could provide a first hand opinion on the backhoe design and usefulness??

http://myoldmachine.com/files/file/18-pdf-backhoe-plans/

;)

r1jakecfd

Beautiful job on the restoration and loader! I have a 310-8 with a PF loader and loved it until the transmission mounting plate cracked. I think I'm going to duplicate your subframe as it supports the rear-end and keeps everything in line, reducing torsional stress on the frame. 

What are you using for a cutting edge on the bucket? I had a friend that had a bunch of used Zamboni cutting edges that he got from a rink. I cut it to length and it is all set up for recessed bolts. It is reversible as well as being super sharp so BE CAREFUL! It is the best modification I've ever done on the loader. It cuts through sod like a knife! Highly recommend. It's hardened steel too vs. just welding on a mild steel edge.

The other issue I had with the 310 that I'm not sure you have with the 312 is the transaxle is a 4 pinion vs. an 8 pinion on the 520's and other models. I actually broke my pinions using the loader and had to split the trans case. Not fun but a good experience looking inside.

Congrats again on the project. I wish I had more time to play in the garage!

John

Essex, MA

• Like 1