mowerman1193

Broken Off Grease Zirk On Mower Spindle

mowerman1193

Had a bearing go bad in a 42" rear discharge deck. Well the spindle was shot too, anyway I have a set of spindles from a rusted out parts deck I salvaged a few years ago. I probably didn't do myself a favor by giving one of those spindles to a friend of mine up the road cause now I need one.. the two that I do have the one has the threads all buggered up on the bottom where the blade would mount.. though I did use it that way for a partial season and it didn't seem to effect it.. The other ( best one) has the grease zirk mostly broke off and I cannot seem to get on it with any vise grips.. 

Looking for tips on getting that zirk out.. without having to drill and tap it out.. Spindle seems to be a little hard to hold onto as well since it is out of the houseing etc.. though I can put it in the vise with the nuts locked together on the blade end..

Thanks for any suggestions.. Not really wanting to put all this work into it with that one buggered up threaded spindle but not wanting to by a new one either, LOL .. Like to get it back in service since I have had this apart for almost two years.. did a repaint and the whole restore of the deck and now just needs put back together.

Kevin

oldredrider

You may want to try an easy out. They usually get the job done.

• Like 2

mowerman1193

Suppose I can give that a try.. don't have one small enough though but suppose it is worth getting some smaller ones to try it..  First I am going to try to take a small punch and try to knock it loose.. That is if I can find it.. my son has been rebuilding his transmission and transfer case in his first gen Dodge Cummins.. so not only has he taken up my garage space.. he also has my tools scattered throughout the whole shop.. LOL

• Like 2

mowerman1193

Well I gave it one last shot.. couldn't find my punch but seen my baby pipe wrench.. through a little heat on it and wallah came right out.. barely had enough to grab onto but anyway yay it's out.. now to clean all this greasy mess out of them..

Thanks for the suggestions..

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Try one of these...Lumax LX-1426 Silver Small Four-Way Grease Fitting Tool

•  
  •  
  • Sorry, this item is not available in
  • Image not available
  • To view this video download Flash Player

• Like 1

lobo

Try one of these...Lumax LX-1426 Silver Small Four-Way Grease Fitting Tool

•  
  •  
  • Sorry, this item is not available in
  • Image not available
  • To view this video download Flash Player

Sorry to sound dumb, but wtf is this?

clip

It's a zerk install/removal/rehab tool. The wrench end can tighten/loosen, the left hand spiral acts as an EZ out, the side nearest acts like a tap to straighten the threads and clean them up, and the side opposite the wrench might clean the fitting out.

Similar ones are available for tire valve stems.

Edited by clip

WNYPCRepair

I was about to say it was a tire valve tool