Smlfrm

416 sputters and dies on load

Smlfrm

have had intermittent spark issues. mostly, the lead to the front of the engine rubbed through on the air filter housing. fixed with electrical tape for now. will start almost first time and can idle for minutes but as soon as transmission is engaged, starts to sputter and die as if fuel is being starved. butterflies in carburetor act as they should but haven't pulled carb apart or adjusted jets. doesn't happen when pto is engaged. but it has happened while simply idling after 4-5 minutes. I did put some suspect old gas in there before this happened which has since been drained. very frustrating! want to mow. from limited research, seems to be pointing to jets, or spark or perhaps ignition control module. please help if you have any experience or insight. thanks

1995-6 416 onan  350hrs

stevasaurus

I no nothing about Onans, but here is a good looking manual...check the carb section...
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2037-engine-onan-bf-16hp-sm-ipl-a-1427pdf/
The Kohlers have an idle screw on top of the carb...that screw has some small holes in it that can get clogged.  You gently bottom out the screw (counting the turns to bottom out) then back the screw all the way out.  Use small diameter wire to clean the holes and spray with carb cleaner.  Replace screw and turn in until bottom out and then back out the number of turns you had.  This sounds like what is going on with yours.  :)

I also like to use Sea Foam as a gas additive...it will help clean the fuel system...this stuff is just excellent.  :)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I can't believe you Onan guys are not chipping in here.  :)  Smlfrm, I am going to bump this up...the Onan guys could be on weekends.  :)

bmsgaffer

Have you gotten a good look in your gas tank? They came with a fine screen on the fitting and that can get clogged up...

Lets just clarify what can cause this problem as I'm not quite certain:

• Start, idle, runs fine.
  • engage transmission (are you talking the belt disengage lever or pushing the motion lever forward?) and it sputters and dies. EDIT: just read that it is a 95 or 6. Wont have a disengage lever.
  • Can engage pto (with deck i assume?) and will run fine as long as you dont try to move.
  • Occasionally has done it after idling for a few minutes.
Can you get a video of this? (post on youtube as "hidden" or "public" and link here)

The hydro is a pretty big HP load so maybe have a governer spring missing or set wrong?

That is pretty low hours, has it sat for long periods of time? Or has it been running fine in the recent past? Carb cleaning is always a good idea for an Onan no matter what, but with such low hours I feel like something broke or is missing (governer parts, etc).

I own three onans but only one is in service and with 360 hours I haven't had to do anything but change oil yet.

Oh I just assumed its a hydro, but you never specified. Is it a hydro or 8 speed?

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

Smlfrm

thankyou both. the manual is extremely helpful and advice re carb is along he same line as we were thinking. i'll try the jet cleaning procedure today. yes it is a hydro and I haven't cleaned the screen in the tank. i'll see about that too.bmsgaffer, yes you have it right as far as I'm seeing it. engaging the deck does not seem to phase it but put it in 'drive' and it dies pretty quick. will try to get  video.
thanks again