Phil53

engine rebuild

Phil53
this is my first post, I have a 1986 310 with a 241S Kohler engine that has serve me well. It needs a rebuild and was wondering how hard they are to rebuild. I never tackle a task like this before, also does anyone know where you can buy a short block

JAinVA

Rebuilding a Kohler is not that hard to do but you have to pay attention to details.It takes several special tools that may or may not be in your toolbox.Torque wrench,ring compressor,micrometers and valve spring compressor.A sevice manual is also something that you should have before you start.The measuring devices will allow you to deterimine if the cylinder needs to be bored  or the crank turned.Those two steps if needed will have to be done in a machine shop.If you decide to have a shop do the rebuild on the short block you have the biggest challenge you will have is to find a reputable shop.Those places are increasingly difficult to find.The folks here have a wealth of knowledge to share with you if you decide to do the rebuild yourself.Luck,JAinVA

Lagersolut
this is my first post, I have a 1986 310 with a 241S Kohler engine that has serve me well. It needs a rebuild and was wondering how hard they are to rebuild. I never tackle a task like this before, also does anyone know where you can buy a short block

Here's a place that has re-manufactured short blocks

http://shop.kustomlawnandgarden.com/WHEEL-HORSE-KOHLER-K241-10-HP-ENGINE-BLOCK-REMANUFACTURED-WH10.htm

If you can handle stripping the Engine down you could also talk to the guys at the machine shop  Napa automotive .... East end of York on industrial Highway - they do Kohler engines - First let them measure EVERYTHING  before ordering parts so you know exactly what and what size you'll need .

I'm not far from you West of York out towards Jefferson .

Edited by Lagersolut

prondzy

Why are you looking for a short block if you don't mind me asking?

Phil53

prondz   I never got that involved in repairs usually just the little repairs though  I never tore one apart I think I'm going to rebuild it and see how it goes will keep me busy this winter

prondzy

Phil just download and print the kohler manual it will tell you everything you need to know.