Sign in to follow this  
bitten

D snowthrower

bitten

Does anyone know what kind of oil goes in the gear box? Doesnt say in my manual.

:hide:

P.J.

KyBlue

While I dont know if it'll be D Specific, another thread discussing this recently was determinded that 80/90w Gear lube is what to use.

bitten

Scott

Thanks for the reply. That is about what I was thinking.

Now for the bad news, the scraper blade is worn down to nothing. Not even enough to make a copy. I can tell that it has some bend in it and that is about it. There is no model number on the unit but I have a 6-7451 manual( 73 18 and 74 D) . I looked on Parts tree and it is N/A.

If there are any of you fine folks that might have a picture of a good one and the deminsions for one I might be able to make one.

Thanks for all the help

P.J.

bitten

Just one more thing, should I run wheel weight on the back and front, just the back or none at all?

Ive had this for 4 years and never used or looked that close at it but think its time for it to earn its storage space.

As always thank you for any info.

P.J.

wh500special

Unless you're a really big guy, you're going to need weight on the rear to get any kind of traction with the thrower raised up - especially if you have the 26"x12"-12" turfs. I'm not a big guy, but even with 65 pound wheel weights and chains, my D180 wouldn't climb over a garden hose on icy ground with the thrower raised. I ended up hanging another 250+/- pounds on the three point before I was able to get back up my drive w/o a tug from the C160 or lots of wheel spinning.

You probably don't need front weights unless you are blading heavy snow that tends to shove the front of the tractor sideways.

BEst of luck.

Steve

Crash

That thread was mine. . . I don't know about the d-series, but my blower calls for ep90. . . I had grease in mine. . . I ended up pulling it all apart, cleaned all the grease out, put all new seals in it and filled it with 80-90 gear lube

Rear weights are a necessity. . . there is already enough weight over the front, so imho you don't need front weights . . . I have only one year with this setup, but so far I haven't used the chains. . . . every now and then I have to rock it a little, but I am pleasantly surprised how well it does with just the turfs

bitten

Steve have you tried useing chains? I have fairly decent ag tires. I know it has been talked about in here before but on my 310-8 it has ag tires with weight, it worked OK then I put chains on it the next year and man did it make a differance.

I havent made it to the local farn supply store to get any for the D but it is on the list. I am not a big guy so I need all the help that I can.

I was thinking about the front weights to maybe help with traction. Can always try if it seems like it will help.

Crash that is what im thinking, I will have a better idea once I take it apart. Just like to get as much info before I do take things apart.

Thanks for the help.

P.J.

wh500special

Yep, even WITH chains I found the tractor lacking in traction until I hung a bunch o' weight on the back and had the wheel weights. That thrower is HEAVY and it really pulls the weight from the rear end when it is hoisted in the air. I can't imagine using a loader on one of these monsters w/o a weight box on back.

I'm a little (well, maybe more than a little :hide: ) heavier now, but at the time I used my D with thrower for snow patrol I was about 155 pounds and without ballast that tractor was nearly useless for me. Even in summer months when I mowed with the thing I ended up just leaving the weights on (and usually the chains) since it was so prone to getting stuck when I tried to back up with the nose a little down hill - and I have no steep hills here.

The D's are nice tractors and at one time I had all of them (18-Auto, D180, D160-K, D160-O, D250) except the D200. Sold/traded all but the 18-Auto and the 250 but I find the bigger C's so much better suited for my applications that I don't use my D's for anything other than holding the floor down in the garage. That monster thrower can sure move a lot of snow fast though and I kind of miss having one around here. Get your traction issues worked out and you're gonna love it!

btw- I recall there being a service bulletin warning about NOT using fluid in the rear tires AND weight at the same time lest you break something with the power those big twins churn out if you really "hook up" to the ground well. So when you jettison the thrower in the spring take some weight off the rear too.

Steve