Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Snowthrower bearings

nylyon

Last snow fall the chain was falling off the auger sprocket on my Snow thrower and it looked like the auger was pushed to the left. I took everything apart and found that a spacer aka. washer had probably rusted off the left side by the bearing. While everything was apart I noticed that the bearing was pretty shot. I just ordered a pair of 101480 bearings off of eBay for about $20 shipped which is a great price. Hopefully they won't be junk, it doesn't look like the blower's gonna get a big workout so they should be fine.

kj4kicks

Yeah, those bearing are fun to replace! Might as well replace the chain while you're there. They don't live long since they're constantly wet. I tight chain will wear out the sprockets QUICK. Ask me how I know.....

Eldon.

nylyon

The chain was actually the first thing which got replaced. I got the showthrower off of Sparky during the summer. The people who had it before him had replaced one of the drive bearings. When it was reassembled, they put the chain on wrong, and if you know these things that is easy to do. Anyway, I suspect that to get it to fit they had to remove 2 links. I went to TSC, picked up 10' of chain and put it on properly. It's a great snow thrower and will be even better once the bearings are replaced.

nylyon

Today was a great day, the bearings came at the same time as my Red Square Magnets! I was going to wait until tomorrow to put the bearings in, but I was never good at waiting so I did it tonight.

I got lucky, the left bearing came out with the stud/retainer. I used a ball joint remover to pop the bearing off the shaft. One down. Next reach into the tool box for my trusty slide hammer and ...... what? Where the heck is the slide hammer? I found the bit I need, but no hammer? Looking at the auger the center tube is large enough to slide a pipe down. I had an old piece of PVC pipe just about the size of the tube. Slid it in, 5 taps with the hammer and out pops the other bearing.

Put everything back together, the chain is still new so that's good. Took it outside and gave it a test run. It works perfectly, now ifn I just had enough snow to use the darn thing.... :D

TT

Do you have your aerosol can of "no-fling" motorcycle/ATV chain lube ready to use Karl?

I've found it to be the easiest and best lube for the snowthrower chains. (I always keep a can of it around, even though I sold all the cycles. :D )

nylyon

I'll have to go and look for that stuff. I didn't do anything to the chain, it has seen but 1 use since it's been new and it is plenty oily believe me....

TT

I was just looking around to see if there was anything better on the market now. I found something by Castrol called chain wax. I'm going to hit the local Honda dealer up to see if they carry it -- I'd like to give it a try.

(don't forget..... my Tricycle Charger has 2 chains under it. They might not turn fast, but they need lubed by something that won't drip all over the floor. :D )