hldurham

Deck spindle C125

hldurham

I have not been on here in a while. I got a 1984 C125 from a good friend of mine , Van aka Wheel- N -It around here. I don't have half the no how that Van has when it comes to these gems. I noticed my mower was not mowing evenly and then noticed the right blade was not rotating ( grease fitting not spinning). I cut off the engine and manually turned the blade (one on   the right near the discharge) and it was not spinning freely and squeaked. Is this a major replacement? I guess I need to replace the spindle and the belt at the same time. Anyone know the part numbers or any other important information to fix this?
Thanks, Hal

• Like 1

slammer302

what deck do you have?

hldurham

not sure got it as a package deal

oldredrider

You take that thing back to Van right now and make him fix it! He's a snake in the grass that Van Bennett is. LOL!!!!

• Like 1

hldurham

can find out

got it two years ago and it has worked great

hldurham

its a 42" side discharge

daveoman1966

Take the deck off of your tractor, then take the belt cover(s) off of the deck.  Make sure the BLADE NUT is tight against the blade and that it doesn't spin on the shaft.
1) Is the deck spindle belt tight on the pulleys and does the idler pulley tension spring work right to allow the bar to slide back and forth?  Sometimes the bar will become stuck and not let the belt run tight enough on all 3 spindles.  If not this,
2) Slip the spindle belt off of all 3 pulleys...check each for free spinning, as well as the idler pulley.  Each should spin freely, with no drag or wobble.
3) Is the spindle nut tight on the pulley in question? 
4) Take the nut off of the spindle in question....With that off, does the pulley spin independently of the spindle shaft?  Some spindles of that vintage have a woodruff keyway in the pulley that would match a slot cut into the spindle shaft.  Most later models do not incorporate a woodruff key...just on friction of the pulley on a shoulder of the 5/8 shaft.
5) I have lots of repair parts, or a whole spindle if you need.
for more details, send a DIRECT EMAIL to me at this link:
daveoman@windstream.net

Edited by daveoman1966

hldurham

I got the deck off today and the pulley is broke. Anyone know the part number for the pulley? My deck is a 42" side discharge model 05-42MS05. The pulley is the one on the right side closest to the discharge.

daveoman1966

separate email sent to you... I have the pulley

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

You take that thing back to Van right now and make him fix it! He's a snake in the grass that Van Bennett is. LOL!!!!

Hal came to my house after work yesterday and we got that pulley off with a three prong puller. Hopefully we will have the deck back together soon and have him mowing on the old Blackhood again. Then we will be building him a Hydro Wheel Horse to mow with now that he is retired. After the hydro tractor is working, the Blackhood will be his dedicated trailer pulling tractor. At least thats the plan so far.

• Like 1