cdsl810

Craigslist Nightmare

cdsl810

On the list today for my possible acquisition was a decent little 312-A, and a latecomer--a C-141. Both of these were posted on Craigslist.

I will try to keep this brief. Maybe all this was caused by the recent blue moon...

I went to look at the 312-A that was supposed to be a "come and get it--I don't want it" transaction (gas to get there, and a minor amount of sweat loading everything). I get there, go through my process of assessing the Horse, do a test drive, and check all functionality. Everything was good, the hours were at a so-so 1150--but it's a Kohler Magnum 12 and I wasn't too concerned. No leaks, no smoke, no problem. I had pre-arranged the deal over the phone and the owner was glad to have me pick it up... so I thought. Suddenly the price went from "can't you load it any faster?" to $400. It had but one attachment, the tiny 37" rear discharge deck. I drove 3 1/2 hours to get to that one. I left without it.

Here's where it gets really strange>>> On the way back home I stopped to see a C-141 that popped up on CL late last night. It was equipped with a snowblower, a 42" rear discharge deck and a 48" side discharge deck, extra set of AG tires mounted on rims, chains, weights, and about three of every necessary belt as a spare. I called this morning and pre-arranged a time and a price--only if everything was as advertised. We agreed to $300, and my adrenaline was pumping. I think that's a steal for a clean and working C series--especially one with lots of extra horsey stuff. So I get there and wait for 45 minutes for the owner to come out of his house (he was home, he knew I was there). Pretty creepy. During that time, I gave it the usual inspection. At about the 30 minute mark, and after knocking on every door I could find and pressing every doorbell button... I couldn't take it. He had verbally given me the OK to test things out as much as I wanted (per our phone conversation). So... I pulled the choke and put it at mid-throttle and cranked it up. It started a little hard--but it started--and purred. There were 2 immediately obvious issues: the motor was loose on its mounts (or broken mounts) and the drive belt and pulley were shot and whipping erratically and causing the drive clutch to jitter. The owner actually had to bungee the drive clutch release in the operating position because the shaking was violent enough to pop the clutch release. The oil was new and fresh, and the trans fluid was clean with a new tranny filter. But--the whole bottom half of the engine block, mounts, frame, and snowblower lift arm were covered in black oily sludge. It did not leave a good impression. It looked like he NEVER wiped up anything in the 25+ years he says he's owned it. He never came out of his house. I had a trailer and cash, and was willing to deal with the issues because they are all repairable. $300 for a C-141... I thought is was worth the price of admission. I knocked, dinged, and called him one last time and then drove away. Super creepy...

I got about a mile away from his house, and he called my cell phone. The conversation went something like this... "Hey, are you the guy with the red truck?...Yes...Well, you just left my house...Yes, I know, I was there for 45 minutes and despite all my efforts to contact you, you never came out of your house..." Then it took a very unexpected turn. The next thing he actually said to me was, "You have some kind of balls to show up at someone's house and start his tractor and drive it around his yard... some kind of balls, buddy!" Umm, I was literally speechless. This guy knew everything about our arranged meeting and what I intended to do once I arrived to check out the tractor. He knew I was there, but completely avoided me. So, I left... what else could I do? I won't get into the rest of the ensuing conversation, but let's just say... I politely declined...

...And drove like a bat out of hell away from Wheel Horse Deliverance.

Two nice finds, zero horsies on the trailer... crazy people everywhere! And a weird guy ("It puts the lotion on the skin" kind of weird) who couldn't come out of his house to take a handful of cash. I hope the next horse finding expedition turns out much better. WOW!

• Like 9

shallowwatersailor

Weird! Must be something in the water. Did you have the banjo, or the guitar? :D

• Like 8

slammer302

I feel your pain I've bought a lot of horses and met sum very interesting people and wasted time driving along ways and getting the call that its been sold already or I have someone here willing to give me this much money what are you offering I usually turn around and go home were its safe Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

slammer302

It can get even worse if your the seller!! Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Like we say in Joisey. Fk him. Good thing u left.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 5

cdsl810

I'm just trying to help the horses find their way home. I have lucked out and been given tractors before. I was looking forward to the "free" 312-A. A 1057 and a sweet looking Bronco 14 are out there for good prices. But, right now, I'm trying to keep the herd with interchangeable attachments--so that's pretty much the C, 300/400/500, and a couple others that can share the horse toys. I kinda broke out of that with the recent 522xi though... well worth it.

Edited by cdsl810

boovuc

Wow! We had a full moon but not a blue one! That is the weirdest WH Craigslist story I have ever heard or read. You didn't have an AK or M16 over your shoulder did you? :lol:
I'm so unimposing and skinny that I'm afraid someone will offer to feed me instead of showing me their tractor!
Of course, you can never tell a book by it's cover either and I'm afraid I would have pitched a tent and started a camp fire just to get the guy out of the house!

• Like 1

cdsl810

I haven't necessarily given up on the crazy guy yet. I will let a couple of other buyers soften him up, and then move in for the "damn, I should'a taken that fist offer" kill. I like the C-141 and it may yet be mine...

Lagersolut

Genn

We say that in Pennsylvania Dutch country too .....LOL

• Like 2

SPINJIM

That wacko might come out of the house with a gun.   The C-141 would have to be mint condition to get me to go back.  I'd forget it.

• Like 3

Lagersolut

I've sold a few things on Craigs list , almost every time I got one or two characters that needed a miner attitude adjustment .....some on the phone ...some in the yard ......I'm not nuts about craigs list.

• Like 2

cdsl810

I have found almost all of my Wheel Horse tractors and accessories on Craigslist. This is the first time out of many interactions that anything truly strange has occurred. I wasn't smitten with the C-141 he was selling, but it would make a really good quick and easy project tractor, and I was kinda thinking about trying to "flip" it. The problem is, once they come home, they never want to leave! :happy-jumpeveryone:

slammer302

I have to say i've met sum really nice guys from buying and selling stuff on craigslist so i guess i have to take the bad with the good

• Like 1

Lagersolut

I sold a Smith and Wesson 9 mil on Craigs list a few years ago, guy called said he was really interested in the pistol ......wanted me to bring the pistol into the city at x location ( not a place it could be transferred .....off the beat'n path ) so he could " look " at it .

Yea right ....lol ....I was born at night ....not last night .

Sold a car, guy comes and puts a down payment on it we're all good - get another call from a girl says she wants the car - tell her it's sold.... she blows a major gasket and flips out, calling me names -starts making crazy offers over my selling price ....too bad - once I make a deal and/or give somebody my word it's a done deal - chances are she never had it anyway - can't post here what I told her .

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Yep, if I say I will buy or sell something, my word is good. The only time I have not completed a sale is when the seller missed the date to have it ready twice in a row. I went elsewhere after the second time

I have completed sales where I no longer needed the item, just because I said I would

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 3

Ken B

Glenn

We say that in CT too!

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Something wasn't right on his end. You did good leaving. I have my trouble trying to sell on CL.  The scammers wont leave me alone.

• Like 1

squonk

I like it when they E-Mail you wanting to " help" sell your item!:o

Forest Road

In Jersey we also say NEVER AGAIN! I wouldn't give either of those sellers a second thought. Life's too short for that sort of BS.
i also won't go more than an hour for a run of the mill horse. It's gotta be perfect to go any further.

• Like 3

cdsl810

Crazy update....

The guy called my phone 5 times today. I finally answered call #5 (accidentally, because my truck bluetooth connection was set to auto answer). He started by saying, "WTF? I thought you wanted to buy this tractor! I was nice enough to let you drive it around my yard and let you check it out. You said you would give me $500 for it... you're a liar!" 

Without skipping a beat, I said, "I will buy it... for $100, because I have about $200 worth of parts to buy in order to get it in proper working condition--so that adds up to the $300 we originally agreed to. And, I will be there with my friends who will help me load it up. They are off-duty police officers."

He said I was crazy, and it's worth at least $1000. I said thanks, and hung up.

>>>>>>>>>>HE CALLED ME AGAIN AN HOUR LATER! I really had no intention of dealing with him--even if he accepted my $100 offer. My phone has a blocking feature that I just turned on for the first time. End of story.

I will be using a different method if I attempt to buy off of CL again.

• Like 1

squonk

I usually have pretty good luck with CL . I have met quite a few characters. I haven't gotten many good deals for a while as my lucky Monkey shirt finally wore out. My wife and son used to get a big kick out of it. Me standing in the rain with my monkey shirt buying a WH snowplow. We always tried to have a good time and look for some laughs along the way. Picked up a C-160 north of Buffalo and we needed a pit stop bad. Stopped at like 6 gas stations until we found one that had a port o pottie on a sidehill no less.:scared-eek: Went way out in the boonies north of Syracuse for a garden plow. Driving along we saw a sign that said Poop Rd.! :)

• Like 2

Lagersolut

Bet he'd come out if you went back.......no tractors worth what you'd have to put up with if you did .

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Clearly, your dealing with a nut job. 

Glenn

• Like 1

Marv

Just wondering. Have any of you had any experience with Alzheimers / Dementia?
Marv

oldredrider

Just wondering. Have any of you had any experience with Alzheimers / Dementia?
Marv

Can't remember if I have or not!

• Like 2