wholdguy

Tecumseh HH120 - Trouble

wholdguy

While mowing the back yard yesterday with the Charger 12,  all of a sudden I could hear a strange loud engine noise through my earmuffs.  The motor seemed to lose power, so I throttled way back and then shut it down.  It restarted ok but I just left sit to cool down.

It has compression. It turns freely by hand, with no noise with the spark plug removed.  So I dont't think there is any internal damage.

My next guess is that the screen on the flywheel has come loose and must be rubbing on the housing.  That could cause the racket I heard.
I have removed the screen and found all 3 bolt holes enlarged which allows the screen to rattle around in the housing.

Now is it okay to run this motor without the screen on the flywheel?
I can take some large fender washers to beef up the screen holes and then remount on the flywheel.

G.

G.IMAG0492_(361x640).thumb.jpg.6c8147707d8IMAG0493_(361x640).thumb.jpg.650b166fd08IMAG0494_(361x640).thumb.jpg.c535197f3c1

gwest_ca

Adding fender washers may move the screen too close to the blower housing and rub again. What about making new holes until you can find a better one?

Run the bolts in without the screen to make sure they are capable of holding the screen tight. May have to clean the threads or shorten the bolts a bit.

Garry

• Like 1

wholdguy
IMAG0496_(361x640).thumb.jpg.71207decff3Okay, so I took it all apart for cleaning and inspection.  Then I went to the hardware store and bought new 1/4 - 20 Machine Screws and large fender washers.

I installed the screen, washers and machine screws and added blue loctite for good measure.  Started it up and now all is quiet, no more screen rubbing on the housing!

All seems to be good again.
G.