Geochurchi

Correct way to install a blade

Geochurchi

Hi All, is the a right way to install a 79-3061 blade on a Wheel Horse tractor, the manual says to mount the curved piece so it's facing  inside,I don't see how it can be mounted any other way, unless it's mounted upside down
just curious .

Geo

Edited by Geochurchi
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Blades have been known to get mounted upside down resulting in poor performance from new blades.

Think it is just a reminder for the installer. For those that don't do it too often they may turn the deck over to work on it. I can see it getting confusing.

Garry

• Like 1

boovuc

I take a black magic marker and before I remove the blades for sharpening, I mark which side was facing down. When installing a new blade, just compare it to the old blade and how it was marked.

• Like 3

KC9KAS

A small engine repair shop owner once told me....."While tightening the bolt...if you slip off you will cut yourself on the sharp edge"......BUT I just sharpened a couple of blades and re-installed them. Using the information afore mentioned, the left blade was installed upside down.
Upon further inspection, I found that the blades turned opposite of each other, making the "cut yourself" idea incorrect for the left blade!

• Like 1

Don1977

A small engine repair shop owner once told me....."While tightening the bolt...if you slip off you will cut yourself on the sharp edge"......BUT I just sharpened a couple of blades and re-installed them. Using the information afore mentioned, the left blade was installed upside down.
Upon further inspection, I found that the blades turned opposite of each other, making the "cut yourself" idea incorrect for the left blade!

Might be he never saw a geared deck.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Might be he never saw a geared deck.

That was my guess!

Tankman
Acquaintance, not too smart, purchased a new "Deere" me. Haven't seen it yet but, hear tell $1900 from a dealer.

His deck, three blade, was leaving a stripe, needed to overlap making a second cut.
Duh, one blade was installed upside down.

Dealer says, "Decks are shipped pre-assembled. We  just hang 'em."  Wow! Unbelievable. 

My decks are removed, set on horses for winter service; blades sharpened or replaced, spindle belt, grease, paint 'n patch (if needed).

48-in-deck.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

My decks are removed, set on horses for winter service; 

I would need a gantry crane...  :)

Tankman

Me too! I always get help setting the decks on saw horses. Always! 

Edited by Tankman

Tankman

Me too! I always get help setting the decks on saw horses. Always! 

I might add, Lowes is just down the road from me. I often ride over with grandsons and a hardware list.
If available we use stainless hardware and always use Never-Seez.

wrightorchid

I use an impact wrench to remove them, but tighten by hand.  I don't have to block the blades, and don't risk the hand wrench slipping.  The nuts tend to tighten with use, so don't over tighten.  Very important to use grease, or a never seez on them.