Tvtrader

Belt selection

Tvtrader

I need help in selecting belts for my Wheel Horse tractor.
It is an older model with a changed motor.
It may be a 312.  I know it was purchased before 86.
I took my old belts down to tractor supply and measured them.
So my Question is this.
Should I select a belt smaller to account for stretching and if so how much smaller.
Can I use a regular v-belt to use as a drive belt? (same question for the drive belt)

Its an older tractor but it still runs well.  I try to do what I can to keep it going. 

Thanks

squonk

Belts really don't stretch. The sides wear down and fall into the pulley deeper creating the illusion that the belt is now longer

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Thanks to Mike for clearing a long-lived myth that V-belts stretch.  They don't...unless you are measuring in increments at the molecular level.  Belts simply wear out.  
Engine to trans drive belt s/b 5/8 wide ..depends what year. #108501 (81"), 7473 (82), or 78-7100 (82"), respectively.  
Engine to deck belt depends on what deck you use...36, 37, 42 or 48" deck ? ? ? ?  Rear or side discharge is also a factor.
The spindle belt on the deck also depends on what deck is in question.
You question is too vague to nail down, especially with other than original engine.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

shelbyv8

At TSC you want the the blue kelvar drive belt.

Tvtrader

Thanks to Mike for clearing a long-lived myth that V-belts stretch.  They don't...unless you are measuring in increments at the molecular level.  Belts simply wear out.  
Engine to trans drive belt s/b 5/8 wide ..depends what year. #108501 (81"), 7473 (82), or 78-7100 (82"), respectively.  
Engine to deck belt depends on what deck you use...36, 37, 42 or 48" deck ? ? ? ?  Rear or side discharge is also a factor.
The spindle belt on the deck also depends on what deck is in question.
You question is too vague to nail down, especially with other than original engine.

I wasn't looking for a belt #,  just weather or not I should use a slightly smaller belt.  the guy at tractor supply said to use one 2 inches small to account for wear.
He didn't even know how to use the belt gauge so I hesitated to accept his advise.  I did end up getting one 1 inch smaller. (there was one my exact size but out of stock).
My belt measured 85 1/2.  an 85 in belt measured 84 1/2. 
I believe I have a 42 in mower deck.

Do I need a special "drive belt" for the engine to deck or will any v belt work?

I will take back the belt I bought.  You guys have saved me the time and trouble of swapping out this belt..... THANKS!