Tvtrader

Bearing play

Tvtrader

Pully_Pic.thumb.jpg.b25e934f967d00d57f3dMy mower deck stopped spinning.  I saw a flat spot in the belt and thought it may also be a bearing.
After checking I found one deck bearing with excessive play and that the pulley from the motor to the deck was stiff - almost frozen.
I loosened it up with some oil but see a small amount of play there.
My question is this.  will this bearing fail soon and is it pressed on?
Is this something I can change my self or do I need a press?

Thanks

squonk

That bearing is all ready failed. Some can be changed and some you need the whole pulley. Look for a snap ring on the pulley holding the bearing in. And yes you need a press

cleat

The flat idler is a stamped steel unit with a none replaceable (well, easily anyways) bearing by looking at the picture, so I assume the v pulley is the same.

In that case, I would buy a new pulley (or both if need be) and change them out. Going that route you should not need a press or any special tools. The pulleys should slide off the shaft although they may be rusted on.

Cleat

daveoman1966

Original CAST IRON pulleys have replaceable bearings and I have BOTH of them available with NEW BEARINGS already PRESSED in.  I can also provide a good used set of Stamped Steel pulleys (like yours).  SOMETIMES these pulleys can be a real PITA to get off of the shaft....others slide off effortlessly.  Don't lose the two spacers.
I cut a slot in my steel-top workbench to remove them.  Leave the nut on an smack with hammer until the pulleys break loose...then a wood block to finish the job. 
for further details, clik my email link here:
daveoman@windstream.net 

MULE FIX (1).JPG

MULE FIX (3).JPG

CAST PULL (2).JPG

CAST PULL (3).JPG

CAST PULL (5).JPG

• Like 1

cleat

I bought some cast pulleys from ebay and installed new bearings to replace my bad stamped steel ones.

A small amount of never seize on the shaft on reassembly should ensure easy replacement in the future.

Coadster32

Surplus Center might have them. (You can google it)

• Like 1

jackhammer

But on your V pulley  make sure you look inside the V part and slide a finger along in there.  It may be grooved over the years of use,,  and cause you to have belt troubles prematurely.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Surplus Center might have them. (You can google it)

There is some pretty cool stuff on that site.