shallowwatersailor

Lost My Bandit Buddy

shallowwatersailor

I had a sad beginning to my Saturday. My buddy, Oke' a 12-1/2 year old Alaskan Malamute, has been listless for the past few weeks which I thought was because of my broken ankle but with a change of food he seemed to back to his old self. This morning my wife took him for his morning walk and Oke' decided to cut it short. While we were eating breakfast he suddenly stood up and let out a cry, then collapsed to the carpet. We rushed him to an emergency veterinary clinic where we found out that he had a cancerous tumor in his spleen that had ruptured, and that he was bleeding internally. Even with treatment the prognosis was to only live for three months. So I made the hard decision to put him down right then.

My last photo to share from just three days ago! Little did I know. He had had his afternoon walk and was waiting for his treat. He would jump and pounce into this position like a young dog.

"Miss ya, buddy!"

55bd183e2f0f4_WP_20150727_0011.thumb.jpg

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 2

slammer302

thats prettty sad

• Like 1

Racinbob

So sorry to hear that. As difficult as it was, know that you made the right decision. The quality of life in any time you could have bought him wouldn't have been good.

• Like 3

rmaynard

John, that is sad. I know how you feel. My wife and I just had to put down our 16 year old Maine Coon Cat on Monday. Keep your chin up my friend.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Sorry for your loss. My German Shorthair was put down about a year ago. My wife kept putting it off for over a year, and the poor dog was suffering. 

• Like 1

Martin

John, its always sad when one of the pet members of the family have to leave us for whatever reason. We all consider them to be a big part of the family and it looks like you had the same opinion with your buddy. 
We have a 17 year old Lab cross that is nearing end of life and its sad seeing the decline happening in him especially the last 6 months or so. He has bad kidneys and is also loosing muscle mass in his hips and rear. He still tries to keep up with the two others, a Beagle/Harrier and a Rat Terrier, but i can see his frustration every day. He is now on a special diet ($$$$) and it seems to be slowing the decline, but its still a decline, none the less. He is still a happy dog, but as soon as that seems to change, it will be a decision based on his comfort and quality of life and not our feelings.

Hang in there, you made the right decision, its always better to not have them suffer any discomfort or pain, even though we would love to keep them around forever.

• Like 3

Digger 66

Keep your chin up my friend.

X-2 
We're here for 'ya man .

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

John, its always sad when one of the pet members of the family have to leave us for whatever reason. We all consider them to be a big part of the family and it looks like you had the same opinion with your buddy. 
We have a 17 year old Lab cross that is nearing end of life and its sad seeing the decline happening in him especially the last 6 months or so. He has bad kidneys and is also loosing muscle mass in his hips and rear. He still tries to keep up with the two others, a Beagle/Harrier and a Rat Terrier, but i can see his frustration every day. He is now on a special diet ($$$$) and it seems to be slowing the decline, but its still a decline, none the less. He is still a happy dog, but as soon as that seems to change, it will be a decision based on his comfort and quality of life and not our feelings.

Hang in there, you made the right decision, its always better to not have them suffer any discomfort or pain, even though we would love to keep them around forever.

I could not agree more.  finally told my wife she was being cruel by letting my dog suffer, and she finally agreed.  We cried like babies, but it was the right decision. They do become just like one of our kids.

• Like 1

pfrederi

My deepest sympathy.  Lost my kitty cat last year...more painful than my parents passing, they were of appropriate age ...she wasn't

Regenboog-Brug Regnbuebroen Russian

The Rainbows Bridge Poem
RainbowBridge.com
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• Like 2

AMC RULES
They live in your heart forever John. 
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Thanks to all for the kind words. I spent the afternoon looking through the numerous photos that I took of him over the past three years. I got him as a rescue and he was blind in his left eye. This photo popped out at me. Mal's get a pink nose in the Winter which was his favorite time of the year. I'll miss the change this year.55bd52eb2c246_WP_20131203_0011.thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sparky

So sorry for your loss.
Mike.........

• Like 1

doc724

Hi John,

I am saddened to hear about the loss of your cherished friend.  Same thing happened to our Golden last year (May 2014).  She was the only Golden we had since a pup (a Christmas present in 2001).  My wife has been pestering me for another Golden and in a moment of weakness, I agreed.  We saw Annie at age 3 weeks and brought her home at 7 weeks.  In 2 weeks she will be 6 months old.  She definitely filled the void left from the last dog but damm, raising a puppy is really hard work at our age!

• Like 1

dclarke

Sorry to hear that, john. 

• Like 1

Ken B

So sorry to hear of your loss John. Its amazing the bond we build with our pets, they are like family! I've had many dogs thru the yrs. and loved every one of them. This was my Cocker that I named Archie..The two of us were as close as you could get,, he went everywhere with me. He loved riding in my truck, he would just sit there as happy as can be enjoying every minute.. He is the only dog I ever had that every single person in my neighborhood knew his name and everyone loved him. Many a little kid tugged on his big floppy ears and he never even thought of biting anyone. I could spend hrs. working in my garage and he'd lay on the garage floor just hanging out. I got him from a shelter when he was 2 yrs. old. He lived to be 17 yrs. old. Archie died about 15 yrs. ago., I'll always miss him... 
Archie.jpg

• Like 3

stevasaurus

It is one of the toughest things we do, and then, after some time...we rescue another and go through it all again.  Sorry for your loos John.

• Like 1

neil

Without a doubt you did the right thing as painfull as it may be , you wouldn't want him to suffer in pain .
thoughts are with you mate.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

John, sorry to hear about your buddy, I have been down that road before. That is a big dog, holy smokes. 

Glenn

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

John, sorry to hear about your buddy, I have been down that road before. That is a big dog, holy smokes. 

Glenn

Yes Glenn, I had to laugh when I would see him with Sue who is 5'1". He looked as big as her from the distance!

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Sorry to hear about your loss John. Dave Burley Sent from my tractor seat.

• Like 1