MalMac

Odd things happen

MalMac

I'll start a different topic because it's just not the volt gauge. Now I am not a fan of safety switches, I think they cause more trouble with things. Now with that said I can start the tractor with all switches open. You don't have to have pressure on the seat switch, clutch push in, even with PTO engaged. The wiring appears to be factory intact. I stumped on this one.

Don1977

Either all the safety switches are bad or someone ran a new wire form the start terminal on the switch to the solenoid switch. Got any extra wires hiding in there?

• Like 3

gwest_ca

Model 414-8

1987-88 wiring
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/2123-tractor-1988-414-8-416-8-wiring-detailed-492-4509pdf/

1989 wiring
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/5014-tractor-1989-414-8-wiringpdf/

The ignition switch, one of the pto switches and the clutch pedal switch control the starter solenoid by sending power to the switches. Try disconnecting one of the wires from the clutch switch and see if it still cranks the starter. A pto switch or the clutch switch may have failed and is shorted internally.

The ignition switch, the other pto switch and the seat switch complete a circuit to ground the ignition to shut the engine off. The ignition is self powered so until the ignition wire is grounded the engine should run. You have not said the ignition switch will not turn the engine off so look for a break or bad connection between the pto switch and the seat switch or the seat switch a ground.

Garry

Wheel-N-It

Either all the safety switches are bad or someone ran a new wire form the start terminal on the switch to the solenoid switch. Got any extra wires hiding in there?

I've seen this more than once!

MalMac

No extra wires. Must be in the safety switches. If that's the case I will just leave those " Lawyer Switches as they are."