Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

Everything you ever wanted to know bout a 520 plow

dgjks6

I have posted this topic in many different places here, but here it is all in one and I still need help. I will start at the beginning.

Step 1 - Decide you want a plow for you 312.

Step 2 - find a plow, weights, and chains in new condition for a 520 for $250 not too far from my home

Step 3 - Figure out what is different between a 312 plow and a 520 plow. I did at first and it was this:

100_2986.jpg

and this

100_2985.jpg

These two things make the 520 plow about 4 inches longer.

Step 4 - find someone to trade these two pieces for a rear attachment bracket

Step 5 - make the trade

Step 6 - find out 520's (23x10.5.12) tires are bigger than the tires on a 312 (22x9x12) so the chains won't fit

Step 7 - buy tires from a 520

Step 8 - mount the tires and rear bracket

step 9 - mount the plow

step 10 - find out there is a third part to make the plow fit the 520. The arm to control the angle has a 4 inch bend. This bend causes this problem:

100_3000.jpg

which leads to the plow being only at this angle

100_3001.jpg

Step 10 - hope there is no snow until you can find the correct arm

LESSON - buy parts for a 312 from a 312 not a 520

Greg

nwpahorseman

lesson learned :hide:

Teddy da Bear

I have been in the same boat on all of my 4 or 5 plows.

The guy that designed this arm must have been on drugs that day!

I have taken and bent the arm in 90 degree angles out and around

the footrest. Thus clearance for the footrest and the PTO.

I added some eye-bolts in key places to guide the release wire

for the release pin.

Can you fabricate some convenient bends in yours?

DMESS

May your efforts in frustration save a fellow horseman from experiencing the same.

In other words, the knowledge gained and shared can be a reward all in it's own.

Hope that makes you feel better. :hide:

CasualObserver

Maybe too late for this, and this is totally speculative, because I really don't know... but.... what would have been the harm in hooking all of it up the way it was, and letting the blade be 4 inches farther in front of the tractor? I know it would have been a tad heavier to lift, but are there any other reasons?

jusjeepn

I guess should have just traded you a blade for a 312 with the right chains. The blade frame I am modifing now came from 312-8. The chains are just sitting on a shelf in the garage. I will be modifing my angle control are to miss the PTO next weekend. Your pain is future W/H nuts like us's gain. Thanks :D:hide: :hide:

dgjks6

Maybe too late for this, and this is totally speculative, because I really don't know... but.... what would have been the harm in hooking all of it up the way it was, and letting the blade be 4 inches farther in front of the tractor? I know it would have been a tad heavier to lift, but are there any other reasons?

:hide: wish I would have thought of that sooner

also - I am really happy with the 520 tires -they were almost new (on slightly rusty rims) - and they look cool on. They are 2 inches wider on the outside when mounted but the same on the inside. Next pic I post will be when I try to mount the 37inch deck. I may have to switch beck the tires, but its OK - I kinda like having winter and summer rubber.

DMESS

Oh, you WILL have to switch the rear tires back or shim the right side deck wheel out. They don't clear one another.

Same issue if your thinking of switching to those 8" fronts. Then the left front collides with the deck.

dgjks6

Life is never easy. Just had our first snow. Got out the plow. Had to put the handle on backward and it works (sort of - now it rests against the muffler) BUT - I have learned another thing. Stay with me because I am new, but when I put the chains on I thought they should be a little loose - but 520's must have 2 sizes or rears - the chains I have rotate on my tires - so I think the 520 I got the chains off of must have had bigger tires.

To make matters even more frustrating, the guy I got the rear tires from offered me a set of chains and I said no, I had them.

On the other hand - plow works even better than I had hoped.

Greg

djmil11

i have a 520-H plow setup on my c-125. left everything 2-gether and it works. the lever does hit the footrest when the plow is turned, but fine in the straight pos.

wh500special

Greg,

I sent you a PM regarding the angling lever.

For chains, you can try Tire Chains . I usually advocate shopping at your dealership but I have had FASTER service on wierd chain sizes from this place...my dealers couldn't find the sizes I needed last time (fiberglass lawn ranger and a walk behind snow blower).

Steve

dgjks6

I would just like to thank everyone for their help. My plow now works correctly and is attached to my 312-8. I needed advice from you guys on the chains, mount, angle lever, and a bunch of other stuff - but now it all works. In review I had to trade 2 pieces of the "48 inch blade adapter kit" for the rear mount, get a new set of tires, cut the chains, use some bungi cords, and exchange the index level (part number 114714 if anyone cares) which is part of the blade adapter kit for part number 104340 - which is the index lever (arm) you need for the blade on the non 520's.

Again thank you to everyone.

Greg