Xearl

Enlarged keyway

Xearl

I have a 518XI that I am going to sell but the keyway on one axle is enlarged because the set screws were not kept tight.  Does any one have any suggestions , I really don't want to remove the axle . How about epoxy steel .  ????   

Edited by Xearl

boovuc

If you don't want to take the tranny apart, I would talk to a machine shop about what they suggest doing. With cooling on the axle running away from the hub, the keyway could be cleaned up and a "special fit" key could be made to fit it. Make sure the set screws a properly cupped before putting it back together. That should have two setscrews. Was the axle seal leaking?

Xearl

Yes the seal is leaking but the axle and hub are OK . The keyway is sloppy from the wheel being loose . I found a product that claims to repair damage to keyways ( Belzona 1111 ) but it only comes in larger amounts and would be over $200 . I was wondering if a product like liquid steel ,an epoxy , would work . They claim it can be drilled and tapped .  I also found someone who made a brass key ,held it in place , and welded around it . The weld did not stick to the brass and he was able to clean up the weld . It worked.  I was wondering if you knew where I could get a seal. Thanks for the input .  Xearl 
                                                               Saugerties,NY

bmsgaffer

Personally I would rather buy a tractor that I knew had a wallowed out key way that I could fix right rather than have someone who is trying to sell it put a "quick fix" and ask for more money which I would regret spending later when it all broke out.

Just be honest, and price appropriately. The next owner can pull the axle or do the proper welding and get a new seal.

• Like 4

Xearl

Good point . I am not trying to put anything over on anyone. I would not have put this post up . I just ordered a new key, seal and set screws . The only other thing wrong with this tractor is rusty floor boards and I am sanding and painting them. I have owned this from 35 hrs  and have always kept up with the maintenance . By the way check out the Belzona site and see what the product can do.  The cost was just  to much. Thanks for the input .

• Like 2

boovuc

I would still get an estimate from a machine shop. (Honestly, they are not that expensive around my parts anyway). 

• Like 1

Xearl

Thanks for the input . I will either fix it right or sell it the way it is . I don't know how much of a job it is to pull the axle but I will look into it .  --- XEARL , Saugerties ,NY

Xearl

My repair .  From the forum someone welded the key way by making a brass key and welding next to it . I did the same a friends son runs a welding shop and he tig welded it for me .The edges look a little rough but the key fits snug . I replaced the seal and I have a new hub. axle_weld.thumb.jpg.3157b6aa594f2399506f

• Like 8

stevasaurus

That should work just fine.  :)

• Like 1

roadapples

Nothing like doing it right. Now you won`t want to sell it!

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Ditto what Steve said!  No reason for that repair to not work, as long as whatever caused the failure in the beginning is also fixed.  

On the other hand, 3M makes a product that is similar to epoxy (Is epoxy maybe...)  that is sold as a temp repair for shafts to keep a machine running until it can be "properly repaired".  That temp repair has been going on two years now with quite a bit of use!  Clean everything very well, coat the keyway with excess, install clean key, lightly oil the hub inside and slide into place.  Allow to complete harden.  It's tough stuff and really isn't gluing or "welding" anything, just filling the gap to prevent all movement.  The stuff was pricey as far as epoxy goes but not for what it did!  I'd be tempted to just use a quality metal filled epoxy and the longest key you can use!  Maybe even elongate the keyway.

If it works great!  If not, you have not lost much.  I bet it will hold up.  I used it on a wobbled out ball joint taper on my TC35 and I'm pretty sure on a crank to hold a WH PTO.  Neither have failed.

Xearl

I looked at several including    Belzona 1111.  Loctite also makes a product but they all wanted to much money and the amount was way more than I needed .  I am selling the machine ,518XI , but would not let it go until it was repaired .

bmsgaffer

Wow, nicely done! I'd say that was done right! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1