Jparkes43

Lawn Ranger 2.0

Jparkes43

Hello. Yes i am here!! i have been away for a while and some of you may know my ranger progress was stumped by that tecky engine i had so i tried and tried for ages with different options and in the end i decided for a different engine, so i got myself a copy Honda GX200 to squeeze into the ranger and i have to say its amazing, i have completed mock up and i am very happy with my setup i am just now going to take it apart and re paint it and then put it together again but this time its happening, took it on a few drives and it actually rides quite nicely and that engine has plenty of power and overall its nice to drive. i have also recently doing lots of adjustment on the tractor to get it driving just right so i don't have any more troubles when it goes back together. i am going to make the original fuel tank fit onto the engine with some mounts, but for now the Honda one is staying. there are a few littler bits i still need to do aswell. but this is the new restoration topic area as i cant find my old one.

glad to see you all again. And its good to be back working on the tractor

james
URL]
for some reason my computer wont allow me to upload pictures onto this page....... i will look into that but for now here is a link to my photo bucket

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/jparkes43/media/IMG_1660_zpsbinptjdi.jpg.html

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/jparkes43/media/IMG_1659_zpsnc42xtme.jpg.html

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/jparkes43/media/IMG_1644_zpsvbxycajf.jpg.html

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/jparkes43/media/IMG_1652_zpsb2ur6mpc.jpg.html

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/jparkes43/media/IMG_1651_zps5gckgmkx.jpg.html

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/jparkes43/media/IMG_1648_zpsp2si5hkl.jpg.html

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/jparkes43/media/IMG_1647_zps4ljsq26l.jpg.html

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/jparkes43/media/IMG_1646_zpstktakaau.jpg.html

you will see a lot more of me around here soon and i am sorry for my absense

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Great pictures James...I like the looks of that engine.  :)

Jparkes43

Hey Steve, thanks i love it to. and thanks i try my hardest to take good pictures. : )

james

Jparkes43

Hello guys. A little update for you and some more pictures.

I have now put the seat on the tractor just for more comfort when driving/testing.

I have adjusted my brake/clutch so both work perfectly now

I have also Turned the exhaust around 180 degrees so it face the other way to give me clearance on the bonnet (it now faces backwards) and subsequently it has given more air flow to the engine so its all good (as in its previous position it covered up the cylinder head) 

I have had to cut out a small notch on the carb side to clear the carb when the bonnet is in place. But it doesn't look to bad.

I have sorted out a air box assembly (will show that when it arrives) not gone for originality but it will clear the bonnet. 

I have made a mount for the bottom of my bonnet as it sits slightly higher and got all the necessary bolts etc and it works quite nicely.

I have also looked into making the old fuel tank work with a few mounts so it goes through the original fuel tank filler hole. (but the Honda one has been put back on so i can run/drive it)

I have started to make a flange and pipe etc for the pepper pot exhaust but i'm not sure if i will use it now. It may just be for shows but i will see how it performs with it etc.

That is all for now. More pictures to follow of the bonnet attached etc (i can't for now as the Honda fuel tank gets in the way).

Thanks

James 

thumb_IMG_1674_1024_zpsnysn9an7.jpg

thumb_IMG_1675_1024_zpsc1xtgaar.jpg

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 2

Jparkes43

Hello.

So today i thought i would share a few bits and pieces. 

So i had put my bonnet on to take pictures for you all. i don't do this often and i don't keep the bonnet on as i need to take off the Honda air box and air intake bits and pieces if i want the bonnet on and then put it back when i want to run it so my progress will be little until my parts arrive which should be the 10th to the 20th (they are coming from america). i also have a few option regarding my fuel tank, mounting places etc and what tank to use. so its all good progress and i'm nearly there just a few bits to work out first and waiting for bits. i am on holiday from the 15th to the 22nd so hopefully it comes before then, but obviously i wont be able to do any work while i'm away. But i think it looks very nice with the bonnet on and i'm excited to get it more complete.

IMG_1680_zpstsa0mx1v.jpg

IMG_1682_zpsozwng1qz.jpg

IMG_1681_zps8e6rytqt.jpg

For reference the rocker cover does not stick out the bonnet its nice and set back just the pictures make it look like it. (In these pictures there was no fuel tank attached aswel) 

James

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 3

PaulC

Im not familiar with these tractors but I think its looking really good and that Honda looks great on it! I didn't know what the heck you were referring too at first when you kept mentioning the bonnet but it became clear the more I read, ive never heard that before. Do you guys call that series of :wh: the "round bonnets" like we call them the "round hoods" on this side of the pond?

Anyway its coming along great keep up the good work :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Hello. thanks very much!! thanks i really think it works well and looks like it was made for it. ahhahaha i see sorry the translation hey :) sorry. no we call them round hoods but i just called the hood a 'bonnet' as that is the english word but as a name 'round hood' is used. But yes sorry my fault i forgot. thanks i got plenty to do but its coming along well. watch this space

james

Gracie's Dad

It looks great...I wanted to do the same thing with a lawn ranger I recently picked up. The problem is I don't think it will work, because the shaft on my 5.5hp Honda(GX 160) turns counter clockwise. That's what I get for thinking :huh:

Jparkes43

Hello.

Thanks i really like how it is coming along. ah i see you could do that because thats the way that the shaft should spin, i'm guessing your talking from the fly wheel end?? mine is the same. oh well there is still time to do it, if you still have the engine. but it is a nice conversion to do so why not.

james

Just one thing to mention you might have to do some slight adjustments to the tractor and engine to make the engine fit i'm not sure how smaller the 160 is so it may work.

if you have any questions then ask or pm i'm happy to help

james

Edited by Jparkes43

callum12

I reckon you should paint the valve cover in red with 'OHV' in black
that'll look good!

Callum

Jparkes43

Hello Callum. That does sound good! i wasn't too sure to paint the valve cover as i wasn't to sure on colours but its something i'm defiantly considering. Good idea though. will put it in my head, i will decide when i get to the time for painting.

james

bean

post-5404-0-90393500-1418945315_thumb.jpThe problem is I don't think it will work, because the shaft on my 5.5hp Honda(GX 160) turns counter clockwise. That's what I get for thinking :huh:

the shaft turns counter clockwise on both the gx200 and gx160
they are identical externally, the difference being stroke.
I have both engines and find the gx160 has more than enough power for my 73 (formerly 8hp) 4spd tractor
you'll appreciate the Honda if you use your tractor much in the winter. mine will start on the 1st pull, even in sub-zero weather
:)

DSC06693 (2).JPG

Edited by bean
  • Like 1

Gracie's Dad

The gx160 is a nice motor...It also starts on the first try, even after sitting for a long period. It was hooked up to a 3000 watt wheelhorse generator on a power washer frame. I bought the package to get the generator, but the motor may have been the best part of the deal. Either way it was a steal, I think I paid $50 for the whole thing.:ph34r: 

Jparkes43

The problem is I don't think it will work, because the shaft on my 5.5hp Honda(GX 160) turns counter clockwise. That's what I get for thinking :huh:

the shaft turns counter clockwise on both the gx200 and gx160
they are identical externally, the difference being stroke.
I have both engines and find the gx160 has more than enough power for my 73 (formerly 8hp) 4spd tractor
you'll appreciate the Honda if you use your tractor much in the winter. mine will start on the 1st pull, even in sub-zero weather
:)

DSC06693 (2).JPG

:There you go words from the expert ;) yes the 160 was going to be plenty enough but i thought hey why not go for a 200 :). yes i have heard good things about Honda and their winter abilities. 

The gx160 is a nice motor...It also starts on the first try, even after sitting for a long period. It was hooked up to a 3000 watt wheelhorse generator on a power washer frame. I bought the package to get the generator, but the motor may have been the best part of the deal. Either way it was a steal, I think I paid $50 for the whole thing.:ph34r: 

It is a lovely little machine, yup mine does aswell and it just runs and runs smooth. wow pretty good deal i have to say ha ha.

james

i will have some more updates soon when my parts arrive, they are currently on a plane to me.

Jparkes43

Hello guys.

back from my holiday and it was great.

so back to tractor work it was

the bonnet it now fitted with the Honda fuel tank and also my new air filter that does clear the bonnet.

Some more bits to do before i take it apart again (belt guard, kill switch few other tweaky bits).

but enjoy this little update.

thanks

james 

(it has been raining a lot recently so she hasn't come out, but as soon as it clear up i will get some better pictures)

IMG_1758_zpsx5snfxuk.jpg

IMG_1759_zpsnipcqw1l.jpg

IMG_1761_zpsddwecp8j.jpg

IMG_1762_zpsvmocz21w.jpg

IMG_1763_zpsasqsdf2d.jpg

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 1

bean

how do you add fuel?:huh:

Jparkes43

Hello. 

This was something i had though of, you are required to take the bonnet off to add the fuel as the Honda tank doesn't come out of the standard hole, its a small flaw, the hole in the bonnet will be sorted out though as-well.

james

bean

since you said it was a worker, and the hood has already been notched and modified, I'd just patch the existing hole and move the new opening to fit the new tank.;)

Edited by bean
spelling
  • Like 1

Jparkes43

Hello. Yes it has been notched etc, good plan!! great idea thanks, to weld a plate behind the original hole and fill it etc. Then look at cutting a new hole where the fuel tank is. That would make it a lot easier as-well.  

thanks so much!

James

Edited by Jparkes43
Spelling etc.

callum12

sounds like a plan to me! if you use a hole saw to cut the hole for the new filler hole first (make it the same size as the old one) you can use the metal blank to fill the old hole maybe? save making a piece of metal to fill it when you can make one while drilling the new hole!
i'm not a welder so i don't know the ins and outs! just an idea that may or may not be feasible :) 
callum 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Hello Callum, yes that sounds good i will have to look into that and i will get back to you with an update when i do. i'm sure it is possible i have done similar things with other projects in the past so it sounds like it may work, i will give it a go anyway. 

james

Jparkes43

Hello all.

Sorry i haven't been here for a while, school has started out again after i had posted the last update and therefore i have been given a lot of work right from the start which unfortunately means that i haven't got much time to work on the tractor, but thankfully recently i have been abel to do a little bit not much but a little. I have got my piece of metal for the old filler hole ready to be welded in but that is all for now. I will hopefully get on a bit more now i have kept on top of my school work. also waiting on bits can be a bit of a pain.

IMG_1836_zpsxbzyagsq.jpg
This shows the square piece i had cut from some sheet mild steel (i was waiting on some more to come thats also why it took a while) its also not as big as it looks.

IMG_1838_zpsvwtozh9m.jpg
Here shows how the metal will go from below the old filler hole, will be welded in from the bottom (need for take off primer first i know) then will be filled etc.

Sorry for not very much but hope you understand.

James 

Edited by Jparkes43

are you planing on cutting a round patch that just fits the hole and then welding it in flush ?   that's how i would do it

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Hello.

I had two ideas of doing this. one was your method and two was to weld it from behind and fill the hole. if i can i will do your method but it will require a little more skill so we will have to see if i can do it.

james

Pullstart

if you hold it in from the bottom and trace your patch, you can use magnets to hold it flush while you are tacking it in.  move your magnets, tack some more, grind some, tack some more.