Jparkes43

Lawn Ranger 2.0

Gracie's Dad

YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT....MOTOR DOES SPIN THE RIGHT WAY(COUNTER CLOCKWISE), AND ITS FINALLY IN A MOVING ON ITS OWN. I HAD ISSUES WITH THE TRANSMISSION NOT LETTING UP SO I COULD PUT IT IN GEAR. BELT GUARD WOULD NOT PUT THE TENSION ON THE BELT, DUE TO THE NEW MOTOR'S PLACEMENT. GOT A BRACKET MADE UP AND NOW I CAN GET THE BELT TO SLIP ENOUGH TO GET IT INTO GEAR. NEXT UP PUTTING IT ALL BACK TOGETHER, THEN SOME CABLES(THROTTLE AND CHOKE). HOPEFULLY A PLOW BY THE TIME WE GET SOME SNOW. THANKS FOR THE HELP. 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Hello. We were indeed ha ha. i had those issues aswel so i cut away at some of the belt guard and made it a slightly different shape and it works for me but i'm happy that you also found a solution :) it should look good post a few pictures on here when its done for sure!

James

Jparkes43

Hello. 

its been far to long since i've been here i know but i come with good news!

i think the pictures say it all really. 

thumb_IMG_2109_1024_zps8obhufcj.jpg

thumb_IMG_2111_1024_zpszwhyzkzk.jpg

thumb_IMG_2110_1024_zpswcaxzory.jpg

So yes its pretty much in bits. little bit to go then i can start with sanding etc as 99% of it is how it needs to be a little tweaking here and there but its all good! but i'm really happy to see it turning out so nice 

James 

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 3

rjg854

best of luck on your build

• Like 1

Jparkes43
42 minutes ago, Ranger13148 said:

best of luck on your build

Thank you very much.

been out today already to make a start and been snapping away. its quite cold out as we have snow today but that doesn't stop me! ahaha

been tidying up some of the panel work then made a start on the chassis. if i get time i will upload to pictures later (but you will see them soon anyway)

James

• Like 2

Jparkes43

Hello all. 

Ive been busy! got a new wire wheel attachment for my angle grinder so i was using that and it work really well i love it! i also managed to split yet more bodywork off from the chassis! so all the stripping is done (unless i do anymore)

Enjoy the pictures :) 

thumb_IMG_2182_1024_zpsv7dplake.jpg

ok so here i just had a go at my new wire wheel attachment, then i decided i would take the rest of the body off the chassis

thumb_IMG_2183_1024_zpscphcppse.jpg

This is up close and my handy work. pretty good if you ask me.

thumb_IMG_2184_1024_zpsejcznphl.jpg 

Theres always one bolt ahah :) took some persuasion to get out but thankfully i managed it!

thumb_IMG_2185_1024_zpscon8kwub.jpg

separated!! yay!

thumb_IMG_2186_1024_zpsvsoehyxw.jpg

a better look at the chassis now it was separated. 

thumb_IMG_2187_1024_zpsv663zbad.jpg

:) 

thumb_IMG_2188_1024_zpsl7s0fxbr.jpg

still work to do but it was getting late and cold so that is all for now. 

up next will be going over with a manual wire brush and sand paper for the bits the grinder missed and working on the under side. then red primer!

Thanks 

james 

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 6

Jparkes43

Hello all. i have done a lot since you last saw the ranger (primer time!! this time i went with red primer) but i will upload pictures later as my phone cant take any more pictures ahaha so i am having to wait till later when i can borrow my dads or something. 

James 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Hello all again.

so here we are this time with glorious pictures :)

enjoy guys 

thumb_IMG_4182_1024_zpsgp4fsfh8.jpg

thumb_IMG_4183_1024_zpsotcuoubh.jpg

james

• Like 3

Jparkes43

Hello. decided to buy a few more bits for the lawn ranger (well the engine mostly)

the standard fuel tank since it didn't cleat the bonnet very well i wasn't happy with and i have already blocked off the hole for the tank filler in the bonnet the the original tank is out of the question. and then i remembered that they do fuel pump conversion kits for the gx200 so that you can run fuel tanks like mounted to the chassis, so i have decided to get a kit, which means a greater bonnet clearance and also a more reliable fuel supply. so today i was going to run it for the last time to drain the fuel system anyway, so i drained and took off the fuel tank, and ran the engine clear of all fuel. so its looking like a very bare engine but i like it. cant wait for my bits to arrive. might buy/make a different exhaust setup but we will see. 

James

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 1

Jparkes43

Heres a photo of the engine without the original fuel tank on it, just got to get the bits to put on :)

thumb_IMG_2205_1024_zpsfbx6pvte.jpg

james

• Like 2

Terry M

James, That is a NICE looking Lawn Ranger project you have going there...:handgestures-thumbupright:

Lawn Rangers are my Favorite:).

• Like 2

953 nut
On 1/19/2016 at 3:17 AM, Jparkes43 said:

just had a go at my new wire wheel attachment,

Great work you are doing, thanks for all the updates.   :text-coolphotos:

Be sure you use a face shield and a pair of coveralls while using the wire wheel, once the wires get a bit fatigued they will start breaking off and will stick into your clothing and skin. Once this happens it is time for a new wheel.

• Like 2

Jparkes43
9 hours ago, Terry M said:

James, That is a NICE looking Lawn Ranger project you have going there...:handgestures-thumbupright:

Lawn Rangers are my Favorite:).

Thank you very much!! its a lovely project to have. They are for me nothing beats them! 

James

9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Great work you are doing, thanks for all the updates.   :text-coolphotos:

Be sure you use a face shield and a pair of coveralls while using the wire wheel, once the wires get a bit fatigued they will start breaking off and will stick into your clothing and skin. Once this happens it is time for a new wheel.

Thank you very much and no problems i try to take a fair few. 

A yes you are correct on that i always use the correct safety equipment. thats also true i have had that happen to me before and its not nice so as soon as i get one or so fly off i change it and throw the old one away so it cant used. (i have quite a few new ones ready for using)

Thanks any way 

James 

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 2

Jparkes43

Hello all.

Well an early (but small) update as my rocker cover arrived earlier than expected. also got my fuel hose and clips today :) 

fuel pump and fuel filter are on there way (the fuel filter i bought quite a nice small inline glass filter that has chromed ends with a cleanable element) so is reusable and also looks sort of period correct for the age! and i like the clear look. fuel tank i am still working on but that will be decided once i have everything else. 

thumb_IMG_2243_1024_zpsyubql7mp.jpg

thumb_IMG_2244_1024_zpsd2iccccb.jpg

thumb_IMG_2245_1024_zpsdkwf0hho.jpg

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Hello all.

my simple enough morning started off with swapping over my rocker cover. it's great. tested the functionality by firing up the engine and i have to say i am very happy it defiantly works well, it basically takes most of the gases that would be vented out of your breather and puts it into the pump and then vents out (but you still have a breather hole in the rocker cover to allow some gases out if they want to, just we wait for my other parts now. for now i have bunged it off to stop any small bits of dirt getting in there 

thumb_IMG_2246_1024_zpshydf6kti.jpg

james

oh and to say i may not get any more done as i may be busy for the rest of the day. as much as i want to be in the garage all day. 

Edited by Jparkes43

Jparkes43

Hello all.

Well i thought i had posted an update of my fuel system but obviously not so you've been left a bit in the dark about progress. 

I have got pictures of the fuel system but that was a while ago and cant seem to find them but, It works great, it runs perfectly and i am happy with that.

then i have had a couple of weeks with priming being done when i can.

and then today i have sanded down my chassis to it being smooth and ready for paint with very fine wet and dry (not on the bottom though etc wanted to keep the paint really quite thick).

i have also ordered a key switch to replace my flip ignition switch. 

today i also painted the bottom of my chassis only in black to seal it nicely, layered it on quite thick with plenty of layers. it looks great and should be good. 

just got to buy my paint and then paint my chassis properly.

thumb_IMG_2322_1024_zpsv0baxzsm.jpg

stage one

thumb_IMG_2323_1024_zpsypuwuuju.jpg

stage 2 

thumb_IMG_2324_1024_zpsm2vg7cy9.jpg

and this is as i was finishing off my can of paint! i used a pretty much whole can. i will get pictures of when its dry. if needed i will apply more paint 

james

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 3

callum12

thats looking really nice! 

the black will contrast really well with the red, applying a nice thick coat sounds like a good idea, help prevent it chipping and what not.

:) 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Thanks a lot!

Oh yes it defiantly will do and considering i've got a few other black objects on there so it will match nicely. oh yes it was for sure! defiantly and also providing a layer from the elements so corrosion etc shouldn't be an issue aswel. 

Ok well its drying nicely despite thicker coats so i took off the masking tape as i was happy with it. but we will let her cure for a few days. then we will post another update!

thumb_IMG_2325_1024_zpsw4dzj4so.jpg

i am really loving the look of this!!

oh it should come out matt! like my wheels

james

Forgot to say the parts i haven't done in black today will be painted red!

james

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 1

Jparkes43

Hello all.

so as promised a minor mid week update.

My two key switches arrived and i picked my favourite one and test fitted it.

i also found my chassis was fully cured so flipped it back the right way ready for some paint! photographed it just to show after the primer has been sanded 

thumb_IMG_2331_1024_zpshwa3gkuu.jpg

thumb_IMG_2332_1024_zpskk3bi1rm.jpg

james

• Like 3

Jparkes43

Hello all.

Well today i have some exciting news! i started to paint my chassis in the final colour that it will be! only put a couple of coats on it but the excitement/anticipation is really high!! 

thumb_IMG_2353_1024_zpsm3ewphbd.jpg

thumb_IMG_2355_1024_zps2ehhiivj.jpg

James

• Like 3

Jparkes43

Hello all.

so i have put on the final layer of paint on my chassis today, no pictures as it looks pretty much the same just deeper (if that makes sense) so i am very happy. there is plenty of tie for it to now cure etc as next up should be cleaning up my gearbox so it's nice (don't think i'm going to repaint it as it is ok, but we will have to see) then also i suppose once thats in i can put other parts back on like the rear wheels.

james 

• Like 1

callum12

sounds good, although personally i think it would bug you having such a beautiful tractor but an original paint transaxle. even if it looks good 40+ year old paint next to brand new paint will really show up the age related marks etc. 

I can fully see why you wouldn't to paint it, they look a pain to paint, so many nooks and crannies haha,

Callum 

Jparkes43

hmm that is very true and even my thoughts have beeb more inclined to paint it!! and you are fully correct. well we will give a clean anyway as it will have to then we will see.

james

Jparkes43

Hello all.

Well the lacquer sure has fully cured now ahah.

any way heres a verbal update. there has been no progress apart from masking tape pealing of the chassis ahaha. just haven't had the time. (and Sunday i am going to a car show that is quite far away so will be out all day)

i have decided to go and paint my gearbox (just because i want it to look nice)

so for the next week coming i have a nice plan on things i am going to do.....

Monday. i have no lessons in school then so i am taking some small parts to school and i am going to do some shot blasting (my thoughts behind this was my smaller parts that are harder to sand down (foot rests etc) i will take into our small ish sand blaster and make sure they are ready for paint) the reason i am doing the smaller bits is because out shot blaster is quite small and therefore i cant do to large objects. but some is better than none. 

the rest of the week will be spent painting etc more of my newly sanded etc items and maybe fitting them onto the tractor :) 

plenty of pictures as always to come 

james 

Jparkes43

Hello all. so yes i did get some work done yesterday as promised but didn't post anything as i was feeling rather ill last night. but hey i'm fine now so i can update you guys. 

well the day started off by gathering parts i wanted to get sand blasted.

thumb_IMG_2418_1024_zps9gwnpvtb.jpg

i took the pulley of the lever that i was going to sand blast. whilst i was there i learnt the baring was completely shot, thats why it makes a lot of noise when the engine was idling i guess ahah and it has a lot of play in it. so any suggestions about changing it? 

up next i took a picture of my parts i intended to sand blast. 

thumb_IMG_2419_1024_zpslasdj5wq.jpg

ok so this is when things went downhill.... so i got to school and i could use the blaster no problem so i thought great lets get one with it. started off with one of the footrests, noticed that not to much was happening and that means that it was taking ages just to do a very small area. so i changed parts etc etc. in the end i was there for just under 2 hours with not to much in terms or progress. so i came to the conclusion that the blaster was a. too weak b. the medium was either too fine or had worn out c. the compressor took a long time to repump up the pressure.  

so in the end i gave up with that and took my parts home that have some nice spots on it. so what did they look like.

like this

thumb_IMG_2420_1024_zpscab9igtg.jpg

doesn't look too different ahah. you can see where it looks flat on that paint and some paint had come off but that was really loose stuff.

thumb_IMG_2422_1024_zps6kaclnyd.jpg

this came up the best but it did take an age. 

so what did i do. i came home and got my wire wheel out and decided to stick to that.... 

good decision i think, as you can see 

thumb_IMG_2423_1024_zpswdvikxho.jpg

little bit more to do around that weld (i was hoping that was the parts the blaster would do you see)

so although it isn't as good as i hoped at least know i know.

james

Edited by Jparkes43
  • Like 1