Cameron670

310-8, What an amazing little machine

Cameron670

I picked up my first wheel horse about 5 years ago. It was split in 2 pieces when I got it. His boys had been coasting it backwards down the hill, dump the clutch, having wheelie contests. I took my tilt snowmobile trailer to pick it up. The mounting plate for the rear end housing was broke off the frame rails. I stripped it down, made a new plate & welded it up very, very square all directions. The shifter rod had broken off when it folded up. I purchased a shifter rod, choke cable & a battery, and have been smiling ever since. Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago........The shop has been dangerously slow, so to avoid laying off my guys. I made a deal to begin grounds keeping for the new rails-to-trails that runs behind the shop. In June I put a 42 side on it, with fresh blades & rollers. This is what I'm getting to.....
This little thing has been running 4-8 hours a day for 4 out of 5 days a week. It burns about .6 gallons per hour while mowing. It is unreal how efficient it is. I'm keeping right up on the maintenance, and it shows no signs of any wear at all. I'm definitely using it in a "commercial" fashion, but it seems to love it.  Bear in mind, it was far from new when I got it. Really starting to become a believer in these machines.  I was raised Cub-cadet........

It is the primary mower right now, until the 520xi is back together (really close).....I also use it to pull the DR post mower I got to mow the 2 miles of split rail fence. I get ALOT of comments & thumbs up from older guys in town.  Anyone else have experience with racking up big hours ?   Would love to hear about it.

KJC

• Like 2

cdsl810

I was given a 310-8 that was so beat up and neglected that I wasn't sure if it would ever run. It still looks beat up (for now), but all I did was drain the gas, oil, gear lube (there was water in the transmission), put in fresh fluids, a new spark plug, and a new battery and.... it started up on the first try. It had been sitting outside in the middle of a garden for 12 years, totally neglected and never used. It starts right up and works until I shut it off and never skips a beat. It is an amazing machine--rusty and scary looking--but amazing at how it runs and what it is capable of. I don't think there is much you can do to yours that will actually hurt it if you are properly maintaining the little beast.

Ken B

It sounds like them boys were sure having their fun with that 310 ! I wonder how many wheelies it took to bust the frame? It sounds like you are having quite a bit of fun with it now too but in a good way.
I've had plenty of Cub Cadets, not a bad machine but the Wheel Horse brand is so much better, main reason is the guys that collect them and second reason is they are easier to work on.. When Cubs get older that yellow paint doesn't get a nice patina, it just starts to look flat out whooped and ugly...

tunahead72

I don't see any photos, guys. :wwp:

• Like 1

Cameron670

Already had this one on computer. Has a 42 side on it now. Just put 2 hours on it mowing the rail trail......Love it

KJC

310 & 2010.JPG