Sign in to follow this  
MalMac

Non-working volt gauge

MalMac

Got a 414-8 that the volt gauge is not working. Now my first thought was the tractor was not charging. I think now it is but without proper test equipment and knowledge I can not 100% rule it out. I did take a test light and checked the positive side of the gauge and after turning the key on I did have power. Started the motor and still nothing. I then replaced the gauge, turned the key on and blew a fuse instantly. Now I am at my level of knowledge. Not sure what to check next.

gwest_ca

Does the new gauge have 2 terminals for the + and - or do the wires connect to the studs that mount the gauge?
If it is studs there must be an insulator between the stud and the gauge mounting bracket/clamp for the + wire.

If it is 2 terminals perhaps the wires are reversed?

Garry

MalMac

Got the post that also mount the gauge. They do have insulators. I was wondering if the wires were reverst also compared to what the schematic shows.

MikesRJ

Measure the voltage across the two wires and verify polarity with the meter. Install wires with gage removed from machine and not touching the machine see if it reads any voltage. Either there's no voltage at the wires, the gage is bad, or your grounding the gage which probably burned out the fuse. Check to make sure the fuse reads 0 ohms resistance on the meter as well if you have no voltage on the gage wires. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MalMac

Looks like I am going to have to get a meter and learn how to use it. upon further investigation, all what appears normal is not. The tractor will start with all the safety switch not depressed. Example, not sitting in the seat, clutch not depressed. PTO engaged. From looking at the wiring it appears and I do say that lightly to be normal from following the schematic. So I do believe that I have got bigger problems than just the gauge now. It great that it starts it's just makes one wonder what's going on. The motor on this is not the original but it is just like what was on there. It's a Mag 14. so with my limited knowledge of wiring I will set out to try and find what's going on. I am sure I will be back with lots of questions.

WNYPCRepair

Here is a quick tip. 

Check resistance on the fuse (or a wire) with it disconnected from the tractor (both ends). 

Set your voltage range higher than you expect, ie., 20v for a 12v system when checking voltage. If unsure what voltage to expect, start at the highest and work down. 

And if you ever run across a megohmmeter (megger) don't hold the leads in your fingers, it produces some seriously high voltage.