WNYPCRepair

Tire recommendations

WNYPCRepair

I am at some point going to buy new tires for my 520H, front and rear. 

My property is wet in spring and if it is a wet summer, I live in wetlands. Mixed lawn and forest, though the mosquitos prevent enjoying the forest. 

I mostly will use the tractor for the lawn, but I also push dirt and snow, and I am hoping to find a good snow blower. 

I have thought about ags for traction, but I'm afraid they will destroy the lawn in the spring. What would you guys use for good traction without destroying the lawn?

cheesegrader

I put firestone tri-ribs on the front of the 520 that I use for the snowblower. 
Love them.  Much better steering control in the snow, and not too harsh to use on the grass, unless it is REALLY wet.
The Carslile Turf Masters on one of my other tractors are gentlest on the lawn, especially when wet, but the difference is small.
The difference in snow and ice is a huge positive for the tri-ribs.
On the back, the ags are best in loose dirt and not-too-sloppy mud, but are a little hard on grass, and do big damage if you spin them.
On snow, ice, and hard pack, turf tires with 2-link v-bar chains work best for me.  Ags do poorly on these surfaces.
On normal or wet grass, I still like the Carlisle turf masters, inflated to 10-12 lbs.
My most useful setup is turf masters in the rear, with aggressive chains and extra weights in the winter, and tri-ribs on the front.

• Like 3

clip

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/56066-new-tires-on-the-horse/

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I like the V61s for the front. I really like the ags, just don't think they are the best choice for me, we get a lot of snow here. Then again, I am considering buying the tire machine I saw at Harbor freight. Then I could switch from turf w/chains for winter, and ags for summer.  :)

• Like 1

Aldon

I bought the tire changer from HF and it's a great add to the stable of horse tools. 

I also bought some composite bars to aid in tire installation so I am less apt to scratch new painted rims. They are marketed for motorcycles. I think they are  called tire buddies or buddy bar or something.

tire removal has been a breeze with the HF changer.

PS- I bought Vredsteins for my GT14 from miller. Great family owned business. I really like talking to actual owner/English speaking good salt of the earth people when doling out C-notes.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I bought the tire changer from HF and it's a great add to the stable of horse tools. 

I also bought some composite bars to aid in tire installation so I am less apt to scratch new painted rims. They are marketed for motorcycles. I think they are  called tire buddies or buddy bar or something.

tire removal has been a breeze with the HF changer.

PS- I bought Vredsteins for my GT14 from miller. Great family owned business. I really like talking to actual owner/English speaking good salt of the earth people when doling out C-notes.

I was just about to start a post to see if anyone had tried the tire machine. 

I think it was $80, and my local small engine shop charges $20 to install a tube (plus parts), so it would pay for itself quick, especially since my tiller keeps twisting them off the rims.

Racinbob

I have a HF tire changer and it works great but it probably isn't the same one. Mine was just over $30 after the discounts.

Aldon

I am actually reading through the August sale flyer and they are on special for month of August. 39.99 regularly 79.99

i am pretty certain that the better you secure the base of the tool, the happier you will be with its performance. Mine is mounted to some heavy wood bases. When my lift treads are not necessary for loading a tractor on lift, they sit parallel outside the garage and I mounted changer to them. Viola !

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

cheesegrader

If you REALLY like the ags, you can get chains for them for winter use.
I put chains over the ags on my loader tractor this winter.  Not quite as god as chains on turfs, but still worth the investment.

• Like 1

Thor27

My land is on the side of a hill and often wet. I mow with ags and would never go back. I find it easier on the tractor as I don't need "momentum".... But, If you do break through the sod it can dig a hole quick. 

I have both of the HF tire changers, but imho the small one is sufficient for these tires,  it can do fronts too,  and takes up a lot less space.  It's just not good at breaking beads, that's pretty much all I use the big one for, if I had to do it over I'd have just got the small one...   I just mounted up a set of 26-12x12s on a 10.5" wide wheel with the little one clamped in a bench vise.

DennisThornton

Hard to beat the HF tire changer for the money!  There are MUCH better tire irons though!

Dennis Thornton

clip

My local shop charges $5/tire for anything non-highway use. Tubes or not. Guess I'm lucky, and it's just down the road. 

I've got the small HF changer I use to unmount tubed and tubeless, and mount tubeless lawn tires. Just recently I took off some 4.00-12s on my Farmall and I just got done blasting and epoxy priming the wheels. I'll be taking them to the shop to get new tires/tubes though. Don't like the chance of pinching a new tube.

Edited by clip

scotty

I use ag tires and tri ribs on the front of my b-80. The ags are loaded and i still dont tear up the lawn.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I stopped by HF today, and the tire changer was $40, so I picked one up