HorseHead1089

That motor looks mighty clean, to be honest that could be used as a house decoration!

• Like 2

dells68
1 hour ago, Aldon said:

The K341, 16 hp, was a repower by previous owner. On the GT14, these studs were not being used. I may remove them but have not done so yet.

Thanks!  Was afraid I was missing something.  I agree about the decoration - bring it on over.  I'll put it in my living room - for a while, a short while before I put it in my own tractor:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Aldon

Thanks gents. I kinda like the table on the set of Top Gear. A V8 block with glass top. Might have to do a Kohler end table one of these days:-)

I need a couple nice days so I can paint up the engine covers. And the front rims. Then I can make tons of progress.

• Like 1

Aldon

Had Mmmmdonuts over to house last weekend and did some sandblasting for him. I managed to get the Restomods front wheels re-blasted. Took me quite a bit of time to repair the damage the Mavis monkeys did. 

And the closest paint i found To the powdercoat is a close but not exact match. Guess I'm glad these tractors are not concourse judged.

Today I took advantage of good weather to get them painted so with luck, I'll be able to move forward with the restore in earnest. Although weather is supposed to turn for worse again this weekend. Here is the required pic :-)

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Aldon

Just in time for the snow and cold temps, I was able to get the project back on track. In the low light of the garage, the color of the fronts is hard to differentiate from a the powdercoated rear rims. I will be able to mount the engine this weekend if temps don't drop too much.

the new bearing races or whatever you call that beveled piece thats pressed into wheel for bearing to rest against were a serious PITA task.... That was with warming the rim, new part in freezer and with the right tools. Worst set of rims I have done this far.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 4

Aldon

Between cold front and other obligations this weekend, may not make a lot of headway. But......

Significant Milestone:

The Eagle has landed...we uh...Engine is mounted. :greetings-clappingyellow:

Finally.

Now I need temps to reach paint and body levels.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 7

Aldon

So I cleared a significant hurdle. Got the dash tower support welded and painted up. Dual gage is installed on it. Pic is of the dash tower sitting atop the engine. Running out of horizontal space!!!

Next warmer day I have that I can work on the project I should be able to mount the support rails, dash tower and battery tray. I can temporarily mount a tank and nose piece and fire it up and test Hydro function and set neutral while I can more freely access the hydro cam. Then wait on continuous warmer weather to tackle body work and paint.

image.jpegThe rear fenders always tear. Due to owners using them to support dismount among other reasons. I am thinking of having some support steel added. My welding is not practiced or good enough so I may have to seek a fab or body shop. I think it's a modification worth doing depending on cost.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

ztnoo

Aldon,

The ammeter/gas gauge looks absolutely super.

Great idea and great execution!!!

The fender corner thing is almost universal.

It's kinda natural to slide one's ass over either fender while mounting or dismounting the tractor.

I've found myself leaning my derriere on those countless times.

Virtually every GT 14 I've seen suffers the same affliction.

You're wise to beef it up by back plating, triangulation, or whatever.

When you're 80 years old and sittin' your butt on those fenders to catch your breath from yard chores, you'll be glad you went to the trouble.

• Like 3

Aldon

Some more progress that will move me a chunk closer to my end goal.

Bench tested and calibrated the fuel sender and gage. Then installed the tower. I must mention that this was one of the most tedious jigsaw puzzles I have dealt with in a while. If not for the 2nd tractor sitting whole in close proximity it may hve taken a lot more time and likely would have stretched my patience to its boundaries!

This gage is really nice custom add but doubt the light feature is all that necessary. Although for snow removal if ever used in that capacity it would be nice luxury. As it's always dark, either before sunrise or after sundown when I am removing snow.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 7

ztnoo

WOW MAN!!!

Sharp, REALLY, REALLY SHARP!!!

That thing is a lot bigger than I imagined.

Very visible in the dark.

Impressive Mr. T!

You scored a game winning goal with the thought, set up, and execution!!!  :greetings-clappingyellow:

As Gomer use to say, 18e4ish75kph2jpg.jpg

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 2

Ken B

Pretty Bad to the Bone Aldon... Coming out very nice, top notch work.

• Like 1

Aldon

I pulled the Resto-mod out for some sun and took advantage of it and the warmth to mock up some additional parts that still need paint so I can do some of the customization for the Oil dip stick tube. 

In light of day, it's obvious I need to do lots of touch up paint due to sitting in garage for past few months and no matter how careful I am as I reassemble it, I inevitably add a scratch for seemingly every part I install.

I kinda like the look but the white will be red for most part.

Dropped the rear fenders at the fabrication shop to be strengthened as well today.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 6

ztnoo

Mr. T,

So.....what exactly was decided on to reinforce those oh so crackable inside fender corners?

z

p.s.   Bright sunshine in upstate NY.........how did that happen???  umm.gif

• Like 1

JPWH

Looking awsome!

I know what you mean on the scratches. 

• Like 1

Aldon

It's easier to just wait two weeks and I'll post pics. Hopefully the sheet metal is still good when I get it back. They are a professional shop with experienced fabricators so I hope so.

Basically adding steel under the fenders but also along and up the sides of the rear piece that the fenders tie into.

My theory is that it will tie the support more firmly to the tractor frame.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

Aldon

I spent a couple hours working on the custom Dipstick tube and mounting. Figured I would post a teaser pic. Hopefully I will have it mocked up completely in next few days.

Basically the intitial supplies...not seen in this photo is some red 3/4 inch heat shrink and the tank heat shield. Also used this new hydraulic punch which is my favorite toy/tool for today.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

Aldon

And the rest of the story...

Basically I filled oil with original dipstick installed, removed, install d new set up, then made mark on new stick at full mark. Then using old dipstick marked with low level mark. 

Tube is PFA Teflon tubing. Stainless compression to 3/4 NPT fittings. Used the punch to mount fitting in top of shield. I had to get creative on the brass female nut but it looks decent enough. Then marine grade red 3/4 inch red heat shrink. I did not like the look of the PFA and paint does not adhere.

The dipstick itself is a aluminum Tee handle off eBay mated to brass rod from tractor supply. Drilled and pinned. Then potted or epoxied into stainless barbed fitting that was part of the compression fitting but repurposed. Then I filed the barbed edge down a bit. 

Plenty of hood clearance and I think it adds a nice custom touch.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

L

image.jpeg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 8

Aldon

Decided to steal hood off of Lazarus and see how it looks so far. 

I may may not get the foot control Hydro wrapped up by the big show but should have this puppy close to done. Close enough to bring and ride around on.

image.jpeg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 6

ztnoo

Aldon,

Well, once again you've knocked a home run.......way, way out of the park!

Obviously well thought out, using an unusual mix of different pieces of hardware, along with some things which were made for measuring oil, and applied them to your very personal and unique situation.

It looks FANTABULOUS!!!  :greetings-clappingyellow:

Certainly imaginative and ingenious.

I tip my hat to you, Sir Trimble!

How did you determine how long the dipstick had to be to start off with your fabrication?

------------------

Nothing like a "good" hood off Lazarus.  :ROTF:

• Like 2

ztnoo

Excellent pics also!

Primo stuff!  2tu.gif

• Like 1

Aldon

I realized that I needed to modify the right side tread plate and belt guard due to the foot pedal I added for the eventual hydro control so since I am in a holding pattern waiting for the welding/fab fella to finish my rear fenders I tackled the modification today. Decided to take a couple extra pics for anyone considering adding Carlisles to the rear. It looks like height is same and width is a bit larger. You lose about a half inch of internal clearance from inner fender to inside edge of tire.

First the mod. I basically copied the left side of tractor. Had to add a couple pieces and a fender that was in scrap heap since I am short a couple right now. If I don't get hydro control wrapped up before show, I will lock the pedal in place so it will temporarily be a foot rest.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

stevebo

Looking really good. Might have to find yourself a nice 60" deck for it:ph34r:

• Like 1

Aldon
17 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Looking really good. Might have to find yourself a nice 60" deck for it:ph34r:

Hmmm. Wonder who might have one? :ychain:

Its gonna be a 10footer. Paint and body work is not my forte. Yet:-) But mechanically it should last another half century.

• Like 3

stevebo

It is looking pretty darn good so far. 

• Like 2

Aldon

the project time and task budget is tight so I am going to hope for best and plan for worst. 

Went ahead and rigged the foot pedal into a static foot rest. Easy to move forward with hydro foot control if time allows and easy to finish later if need be.

Not the most eloquent fix but it clears the belt guard and will suffice.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6