19richie66

Nice read through. Only problem now is you have me wanting a GT-14 and there are none around here. Really nice job Aldon.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I just now saw this thread. That is looking great Aldon. :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Aldon

So I managed to get my portable canopy installed that I got from HF to clear the garage so I can turn it into a paint booth.

image.jpeg

Also picked up the fenders from welder. The center back piece bolts to the rear frame assembly. The goal is that the fender supports will  transfer the load to the frame and also keep the flex to a minimum. The welder did an excellent job based on my verbal direction.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 4

Aldon

Got home from an errand and some new Bling was waiting for me. Another forum member down the street who does not frequent site much had a buddy of his machine these knobs up from aluminum for me. I mentioned to him that the plastic ones degrade due to sunlight etc and so he had these done up for my resto project. Going to add some additional pizazz to it once they are polished up. Not to mention they should endure better.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

ztnoo

WOW!!!   :bow-blue:  wavetowel2.gif  high five.gif  emot-jawdrop.gif

Primo stuff!  2tu.gif

Since you now have a "paint tent" and a body panel workshop of sorts, acquire an old stove (either electric or propane, since I see you have tanks behind your house), and a power coating gun from Eastwood, and you can provide a finish to any reasonably small part (with a color of your choice) that will definitely outlast me and perhaps you as well.

Great stuff Mr. T. !!!

You are very inventive.

I tip my hat to you, Sir.

• Like 1

Aldon

Been a bit since last update. Bodywork phase. Sand, puddy, sand, puddy and sand again.....and waiting for a few days warm sunny dry weather to start doing some painting. Since this is a worker when I get the right weather, paint is going on regardless of how perfect the bodywork is. It won't win a prize but it is a darn site better than it started out. Lol

And the reason for the update....Check out the bling Terry, @vinylguy, made up for me. This image is next to last draft. The set of decals he is sending me are identical but indicate GT16 instead of GT14 due to the K341 on board. I can't wait to get them installed.

image.jpeg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 6

JPWH

I hope it warms up pretty soon. I sure am looking forward to seeing the finished project. I bet it will be awesome!

• Like 1

Aldon
1 minute ago, JPWH said:

I hope it warms up pretty soon. I sure am looking forward to seeing the finished project. I bet it will be awesome!

Its really starting to look like I can move forward. We have had some warmer weather but monsoon season started. Basically getting our April Showers in May. Next 3 days look good though. Warm and dry.

• Like 2

ztnoo

Artistically looking great.

Please share the final draft with us, Mr. T.

For me, the only improvement would be for my '69 model 1-7441, wood grain look in the background.

I think you're gonna get your project done, and if I was there residing locally, my retired self, as it is, I would lend a helping hand, where and when I could.

Unfortunately there's a couple of miles between us.................

Regardless, I KNOW you will succeed and make it to the show!

2tu.gif

• Like 2

ztnoo

I would also opt for the GT 16 edit to the art work since I've been running a K341 in my GT 14 for about 20 years now.

Good choice, IMO.

• Like 1

Aldon

Paint day came and talk about failures! 

I have not not been timid in indicating I am not skilled at paint process. But I did lots of research the past 18 months.

But from the get go the paint interacted poorly with primer so it took the remainder of day to try and salvage the process. In had researched the combination and it should have been ok. HVLP Enamel over Rustoleum primer. As such with no deep experience to rely on to trouble shoot I am going to go with plan B. 

Ill use Rustoleum implement spray paint. But due to slow curing time and at least one wet sanding necessary and then light buffing, it's going to be close as to whether this beast is done in time as there is still plenty of Mecahnical tasks to close as well. 

Needless to say, I was pretty bummed out. 

If money were no object I'd farm this painting stuff out to professionals in a heart beat.

stevebo

You need to give the primer at least 24 hours to properly cure before top coat no matter what the instructions say. Prime and then wet sand and then top coat at least 6-8 coats. Allow to dry a few days and wet sand and buff. 

• Like 2

Aldon

Well the good news is I was able to get most of the parts initially painted with Rustoleum Implement paint "Troy Bilt" red. And the paint adhered with no issues like the initial effort. Closest match I could get on short notice today to the Massey Red I painted parts of frame. It looks decent enough in my opinion. 

• Like 2

Aldon

Got the muffler I plan to use today. And made some headway in laying down the paint. Gonna be a lot of rework to do:-)

The muffler is same as was on the 416-8 series Kohler 16hp set up. Mounts horizontally.

Anyone know the part number for a heat shield to protect the hood?

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 2

19richie66

Looking good. Can't wait but at the same time dreading getting to that point. But...... Once its done it will be nice. Nice job Aldon!

• Like 2

ztnoo

Is that muffler a Toro part or a Kohler part?

I'm going to want to know how this compares with the old style "pepper shaker" type Kohler muffler that almost always is used. They are virtually worthless, IMO.

Just the other day I was talking to a neighbor who is a high school classmate of mine. Our houses are about 350 feet apart, and she commented tongue in cheek she could hear me running my GT 14 equipped with a K341 16 hp Kohler, when she's inside her house. I'm probably half deaf from a career of using pneumatic nail guns, and running this tractor for 35 years, but when a neighbor that lives that distance away is making comment, off the cuff, about the noise, maybe its time to try something else.

Lazarus has the old pepper shaker doesn't it? That ought to give you an almost instantaneous db comparison when you get RestoMod running.

RestoMod = my muffler guinea pig.   :laughing-rofl:

Edited by ztnoo

ztnoo

Also, where did you source that muffler, is it new or used, and how much did you give for it?

Inquiring half-deaf people want to know..........

Aldon

It's new. Pricey! But it will likely last until I'm no longer mowing.

Toro part 94-3739

around 220 after shipping etc...

ztnoo

jawdrop.gif

UUUGGGHHHHHH, yeah, I'd say that's REAL pricey!

I've been looking around and found it for $197.47 ........but then there would be shipping on top of that.

PartsTree wants $238.87 for it!!!

Man, the price of having fun keeps going up every day.......

That's just obscene, IMO.

Edited by ztnoo
  • Like 1

ztnoo

I've been nosing around for heat shields for that muffler, and I drawing an absolute blank.

Maybe some 416-8 owners can step in here with some info???

I am finding some other stuff, some of it on ebay which might easily be adapted.

Here's a pic of a Nelson shield for $15.42 which might be made to work. Unfortunately, and once again, shipping is more than the item.   emot-doh.gif   :huh:  RantExplode.gif

I have inquired about the dimensions of the part from the seller.

s-l500.jpg

953 nut
On 5/11/2016 at 0:29 PM, Aldon said:

Anyone know the part number for a heat shield to protect the hood?

Have you considered buying some perforated stainless steel sheet stock to make your own? Lots of it on :techie-ebay:.

• Like 1

Aldon
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Have you considered buying some perforated stainless steel sheet stock to make your own? Lots of it on :techie-ebay:.

I have given thought to it. I would have to be able to purchase it in dimensions needed. Not sure I can fab edges cleanly if I have to cut it. Don't have a break.

953 nut
1 minute ago, Aldon said:

Don't have a break.

That is the nice thing about working with perforated; line up your bends with the row of holes and bend short sections at a time in a vice.

• Like 1

ztnoo

Seller replied, "The Heat shield is 13" in length and 5.5" diameter. The opening is 3-3/4" wide."

s-l500.jpg  s-l500.jpg

Aldon

Patience is not a virtue I have in abundance. So waiting for paint to cure enough to wet sand and buff...(best case) or have to repaint. Should be able to start that process tomorrow.

In the meantime one of the few corners I tried to cut was making due with the tie Rod ends that had been on tractor. I figured they were easy enough to get into to replace at later time if need be. Well Murphy follows me relentlessly. While moving the rolling chassis to make room for painting I had a tie rod come apart. Who knew what a hassle that would be. It's in another thread but it's another one of those things that was either proprietary to Wheel Horse or just odd and not popular enough to be made any longer. So as suggested by Forum tech support..."That's you guys:-)", I used the type that is sometimes associated with the green tractors. The stub is 7/16 fine thread as opposed to 3/8. Had to drill out the spindles a small amount but since I was waiting on paint to dry and doing "honey do" chores, I was able to check another task off the list. If everything were to go smooth with final sanding and wiring works first time and there are no stumbling blocks, there is a slim chance by this time next week the beast will be ready to do a beta test run. More likely 2 weeks out. I mentioned Murphy...right;-)

image.jpeg

• Like 2