JPWH
:eusa-think: You could get everything ready for paint set up the basement, then send your wife out shopping or something.
Sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.:handgestures-thumbupright:
  • Like 4

squonk

Just don't powder coat anything and bake the parts in her oven the same day she plans on making a souffle or on Thanksgiving! :)

• Like 3

p38js

Aldon, the GT 14 looks great can't wait to start mine. Can you post a couple more pictures of the modification you did to the gas tank and how and what you used thanks
Jeremy

• Like 1

Aldon

p38js - Yes. i will edit this post when I get home this evening, I am assuming you are asking for greater details on removing the infamous plastic nipple and replacing it with rubber grommet.

Edit:

please note. As mentioned I found this fix on another site. I have pilfered one image from his repair. His detailed process description is worth reading if the pics are not self evident. Google GT14 gas leak repair....

image.thumb.jpeg.48a914091c262ec4bb5640bimage.thumb.jpeg.0db88267dc4890c80478a99image.thumb.jpeg.e24900fc31ea639ae8911c9image.thumb.jpeg.5960cdbb4ac1d6fdb58a15bimage.thumb.jpeg.7aeaf8f2fd39726179d5dac

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

p38js

Yes that is what I was interested in the most

bmsgaffer

Please dont stop now!!!
Its like watching a good TV show that has a cliff hanger at the end of the season... :no:

Get that basement set up for paint... :teasing-poke:

:D

• Like 3

Aldon

Well I do still have some small mini projects that I will continue to chase in preparation for spring. I just received the fuel sender I plan on installing to add a gas gage. I posted a want ad for Engine shroud as the one I have may not be patched well for long resilience. Have sourced the combination fuel/voltage gage. Stuff like that. Not stuff that makes good for regular updates. Although when I get gage and tank all installed I will provide details and pics.

• Like 1

Aldon

have not been on site much this winter,

But I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms and decided I would post a pic of the dual gage set up I will install on this beast come spring as i start wrapping it up.

I ordered a fuel sender from amazon of appropriate height for the GT14 tank. I chechecked and there should be enough clearance for the portion of the sender that extends above the tank.

I found this dual gage set up from SpeedHut. I will install it in location previously taken up by the ammeter.

I started the process of enlarging the opening just as i was shutting down the project to accept the new 3 3/8" gage

I also modified the tower that that the gage is installed in so it will tilt the gage slightly so that it will be easier to view. 

The gage is especially nice as it is back lit for low ambient light or darkness in case i use it for snow removal. It is always pitch black dark when I am blowing snow here in NE.

Wishing i had a large heated workshop:)

Edit: I added pic of fuel sender and the initial modification to tower. Enlarged opening to 3 3/8 inches, made three incisions which will allow me to angle the gauge out at bottom allowing easier view from the seat.

569e91c025fb3_DualGageforGT14.JPG.718244image.thumb.jpeg.74ecb70fe6115274465b10cimage.thumb.jpeg.ace6031c291e4d941efa8a7

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 3

Aldon

While I was unable to set up basement for paint and thereby delay the project significantly, I do plan to modify the tank and install fuel sender over the weekend if nothing otherwise skews my plans.

• Like 1

RedRanger

I like that dual gauge!  Very cool.

Were you going to spray paint in the basement???

• Like 1

Aldon
21 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I like that dual gauge!  Very cool.

Were you going to spray paint in the basement???

I had hoped to do so. I had planned to section off an area and vent through a window but that idea was frowned on by the better half. So I am gutting out the winter waiting impatiently for spring:-(

• Like 2

RedRanger
4 minutes ago, Aldon said:

I had hoped to do so. I had planned to section off an area and vent through a window but that idea was frowned on by the better half. So I am gutting out the winter waiting impatiently for spring:-(

That's what you get for asking first!

As long as you were planning to vent.  I once spray painted a dune buggy inside an attached garage with the house furnace located in the garage.  Vented out the garage door, but it didn't make much of a difference.  

House smelled for a good two weeks.  I didn't mind though.  Wish I could say the same for my ex-wife.  

• Like 1

Aldon

I modified the tank and installed fuel sender.

in case anyone decides to do similar in future, you do not have to be as conservative as I was on the float entry. I was worried about integrity of the tank but the tank was 3/16-1/4 inch in wall thickness. I cut a bit undersized and enlarged the opening with a Drexel style bit. If I was to repeat the operation I would have used a larger hole saw bit.

With the opening on top I am not too concerned with leakage but did use permatex #2 to seal the cork gasket that came with unit as the profile of tank is not completely flat.

the last pics are confirming clearance and fit via my spare GT14.

image.thumb.jpeg.55b1c74c285a00a70b5b125image.thumb.jpeg.64c12e96e1cfa9bfea5b0cfimage.thumb.jpeg.939c1543a6418d72669a0d7image.thumb.jpeg.430d43e157df4a9f57b8db9image.thumb.jpeg.2322054683bf9f576707a98image.thumb.jpeg.8cda40f9f5df65cf3edc243

• Like 5

Aldon

Well it got into low 40's today and cabin fever hit hard. So I recently recieved one of my Christmas gifts to myself. A new set of rear turf tires. These are pricy but I got a good deal on them on sale and Amazon prime so no shipping. So I rush home at lunch, fire up the air compressor and dig out my 2nd GT14. I decided that I will go ahead and have a set of wheels powder coated for durability. But thought I'd have to wait until spring but 40 plus degrees triggered a spurt of productivity. Might be enough to hold me through until spring. Pics showing comparison and then a pic of my naked GT14

The new tires are an inch wider than stock. And way pricy....but I figure it's very likely they will last as long as I have tractor.

This is spare tractor will end up with the tires that are currently on my rolling frame.  Set of new front Vredsteins and new old stock on back. Just a couple very small cracks. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b035c14decf2fd5ccec80a6This keeps happening. I decide to upgrade and use the fact I have a second tractor to use the used but decent stuff on. At this rate the spare is going to be too nice to sell off. Doh !

image.thumb.jpeg.47c4881751116a5f9331126image.thumb.jpeg.424a765a4df8f8c2c820524image.thumb.jpeg.724035845b5eb25e5343bb9image.thumb.jpeg.d2423ae3abb0f215cee762a

• Like 3

Aldon

I will be hitting the powder coat shops in next few days to get the rims done. In the mean time, I finally found duplicate Yoke ends for the 3 point hitch. Took advantage of another warmer than usual day for this time of year and installed them. I'm itching to get going in earnest. I did a thread in implement section with vendor and details on the yokes.

image.thumb.jpeg.9aa3827b20e0f7ea4135b1eimage.thumb.jpeg.4a6de6a1fbf84e0efa68ecc

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

Ken B

That is coming out super nice Aldon and the new skins are going to look sweet on there!

• Like 1

stevebo

Not sure how I missed this thread.... You certainly have been busy getting this one done. I see you are doing it right. Well worth the effort!

• Like 2

Rob R

Hi Aldon, can you supply the P/Ns for the grommet and "L" shaped fitting you used to fix the GT 14 Fuel Tank nipple.   Thanks    Great Work

• Like 1

Aldon
2 hours ago, rgrottk said:

Hi Aldon, can you supply the P/Ns for the grommet and "L" shaped fitting you used to fix the GT 14 Fuel Tank nipple.   Thanks    Great Work

I believe the part numbers are: Elbow - Stens 120-196, Grommet/tank bushing Stens 125-336

They are available multiple places. The usual auction site has them individually and as a set. 

I purchased seperately as I was ordering multiple sets and that just happened to be cheapest.

56ab86415b39f_FuelTankElbow-Stens120-19656ab8648b7a38_FuelTankBushingStens125-19

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

Rob R

Aldon, one other question were did you get the cross chain adjustable hooks thing a ma jigs.... going to make a set for my GT 14.... thanks in advance, much appreciated.

• Like 1

ztnoo

Aldon,

Since you posted to my GT 14 wheel hub thread, I have been reviewing your restoration thread. You are doing an amazing job with your project. It will be a first class tractor again when you are done.

I was particularly interested in your fuel tank/fuel nipple mod. I saw quickly after I bought my tractor, that plastic nipple was the real Achilles heel of the fuel tank...a terribly fragile design.......just sticking out the bottom begging to be cracked or even torn off.

Years ago in changing fuel lines and adding a inline filter, I noted my nipple appeared to have been bent slightly at some point in the past and was something I wasn't real comfortable or confident in holding fuel. I had some minor leakage issues initially, but with some attentiveness to the hose clamp for a few days, seem to resolve the problem. I know however, there's always the potential for this to be a problem that pops up at any time. It's good to know there's a plausible and workable fix that happens to be very inexpensive.

I'm amazed you mention nothing about using any type of sealant around the grommet & nipple and that everything is sealed with only a pressed in fit. Amazing.

One of my worse nightmares concerning the tractor was that the tank would start leaking around the nipple some time when I wasn't around to catch it and that I'd wind up with 6 gallons of gasoline on the garage floor with possibly some worse things happening if there happened to be an ignition source around at the time.

Is this the link you referred to earlier where you got the idea?  http://www.mytractorforum.com/13-toro-wheelhorse-forum/167811-wheel-horse-gt-14-gat-tank-repair-quick-easy-cheap.html

With all you have encountered and accomplished with your GT 14 since your project started, I'm sure you can answer most questions that I might come up with. Thanks for your input so far.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Aldon
27 minutes ago, ztnoo said:

Aldon,

Since you posted to my GT 14 wheel hub thread, I have been reviewing your restoration thread. You are doing an amazing job with your project. It will be a first class tractor again when you are done.

I was particularly interested in your fuel tank/fuel nipple mod. I saw quickly after I bought my tractor, that plastic nipple was the real Achilles heel of the fuel tank...a terribly fragile design.......just sticking out the bottom begging to be cracked or even torn off.

Years ago in changing fuel lines and adding a inline filter, I noted my nipple appeared to have been bent slightly at some point in the past and was something I wasn't real comfortable or confident in holding fuel. I had some minor leakage issues initially, but with some attentiveness to the hose clamp for a few days, seem to resolve the problem. I know however, there's always the potential for this to be a problem that pops up at any time. It's good to know there's a plausible and workable fix that happens to be very inexpensive.

I'm amazed you mention nothing about using any type of sealant around the grommet & nipple and that everything is sealed with only a pressed in fit. Amazing.

One of my worse nightmares concerning the tractor was that the tank would start leaking around the nipple some time when I wasn't around to catch it and that I'd wind up with 6 gallons of gasoline on the garage floor with possibly some worse things happening if there happened to be an ignition source around at the time.

Is this the link you referred to earlier where you got the idea?  http://www.mytractorforum.com/13-toro-wheelhorse-forum/167811-wheel-horse-gt-14-gat-tank-repair-quick-easy-cheap.html

With all you have encountered and accomplished with your GT 14 since your project started, I'm sure you can answer most questions that I might come up with. Thanks for your input so far.

Regards,

Steve

Steve, Yes, that is the link where I located the original fix.

And compared to many on this site, I am still a rookie. But between us, I am sure you will get whatever assistance you require.

I have a similar grommet set up on my C161 and it came from factory that way evidently. Leaked like crazy when I first acquired it.(it was close to 30-35 years old so not unexpected) Once I replace the grommet, I have lost no fuel since. So the press fit seal is time tested.

1 hour ago, rgrottk said:

Aldon, one other question were did you get the cross chain adjustable hooks thing a ma jigs.... going to make a set for my GT 14.... thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Rob,

I included the details in the Implement section. I used my bench vise to close the open eye bolt once I had everything measure up. 

Here is link:

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:35 PM, Aldon said:

Well it got into low 40's today and cabin fever hit hard. So I recently recieved one of my Christmas gifts to myself. A new set of rear turf tires. These are pricy but I got a good deal on them on sale and Amazon prime so no shipping. So I rush home at lunch, fire up the air compressor and dig out my 2nd GT14. I decided that I will go ahead and have a set of wheels powder coated for durability. But thought I'd have to wait until spring but 40 plus degrees triggered a spurt of productivity. Might be enough to hold me through until spring. Pics showing comparison and then a pic of my naked GT14

The new tires are an inch wider than stock. And way pricy....but I figure it's very likely they will last as long as I have tractor.

This is spare tractor will end up with the tires that are currently on my rolling frame.  Set of new front Vredsteins and new old stock on back. Just a couple very small cracks. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b035c14decf2fd5ccec80a6This keeps happening. I decide to upgrade and use the fact I have a second tractor to use the used but decent stuff on. At this rate the spare is going to be too nice to sell off. Doh !

image.thumb.jpeg.47c4881751116a5f9331126image.thumb.jpeg.424a765a4df8f8c2c820524image.thumb.jpeg.724035845b5eb25e5343bb9image.thumb.jpeg.d2423ae3abb0f215cee762a

Cant wait for you to get them tires mounted. I need a pair of new shoes for my gt14 but its hard finding sizes to fit those rims. I did like the heavy duty forklift type tires others have used but those turfs might be the ticket. Maybe I missed it but what kind/size tires are they and where did you pick them up. Thanks!!

• Like 1

Aldon
28 minutes ago, Theroundhousernr said:

Cant wait for you to get them tires mounted. I need a pair of new shoes for my gt14 but its hard finding sizes to fit those rims. I did like the heavy duty forklift type tires others have used but those turfs might be the ticket. Maybe I missed it but what kind/size tires are they and where did you pick them up. Thanks!!

I got them off Amazon. Best price and free shipping. 180 a piece though. as I said, pricey but I plan to have the tractor for the long term.

Worst case I have to use a spacer on the inside of rim......but I think it will clear.

Tires.JPG.6ebf5cbe430a2102607222536c54d1

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

Theroundhousernr

Wider almost always looks better for tires on a wheel horse. So I am sure these will look great! I run chains on my tires for snow duty and they all but rub the inner fender so a spacer or an off set rim might be the ticket. Thanks for the quick reply!