Ken B

It looks like you are well on your way to having yourself a real nice GT 14 Aldon. Nice work so far.

• Like 2

Aldon

Thanks Ken.

I am further along than the pics indicate but I keep adding to the project. First it was the 3 point. More sand blasting and preparation. Then I stumbled across a Tiller. Same situation.

Then the unforeseen delays.

My Compressor needed repair soon after I started in earnest sand blasting. That delayed me a couple weeks. The Daughter/SIL and munchkins moved in. Multiple delays. Picked up a C-195 and focused on it for a couple weeks. Space to work and set up dedicated paint area is one of the bigger challenges. Nothing the rest of the forum does not experience and overcome. 

Somehow I really thought I would be done with this by now and even had hopes of taking it to the Big Show this past June. What was I thinking! LOL As was mentioned in someone else's GT14 restoration thread, there is a lot to these tractors and the rusted bolts and heavier thickness of every piece adds additional time and effort. But this tractor should be my worker for the remainder of my life if I can keep Hydro's going. I will have a couple spares and the next big projects will be to do an engine rebuild so I have a spare and then rebuild of a Hydro in case I have a failure.

But it keeps me out of trouble and if I am not working on this one, I'll have some other project. I always have 4-5 things going on anyway.

This is the seat I plan on using.

I picked up some arm rests from forum member I plan to try and marry to this seat. 

Wheel Horse Reupholstered Seat.jpg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 4

JC 1965

Wow !!  Lookin really good. keep the pics coming.  I can't wait to see more.     :thumbs2:

• Like 1

Aldon

Well my production efforts drop off the cliff when the temperature needle hits 90 or above.

I also had to deal with sale of the tiller today and you just have to take opportunity to show and tell and talk tractors....that's a lot of what the hobby is really about so between selling off redundant implement to make more space, general housekeeping and shoptalk, I was able to organize a bit. 

I almost spent time and effort sandblasting a body part that was unnecessary. Risk of having parts tractor, limited space and pace that I am going at.

it was good to inventory as part of housekeeping.

wish I had one of those shop AC units. But then I would need to insulate the garage. Yet another project to add to list:-)

The obligatory pic .....

image.jpg

• Like 4

Aldon

Well its close to 90 so slow going is the rule. I figured I would need tires in the near future as I hope to get the frame and Hydro prepped and ready for paint. am planning on tackling this and then continue on blasting, priming and painting the myriad parts since i am not a paint and body guy I am planning for worst and hoping for best. Worst case is I head into winter with way less done than I hope and I will need to move the tractor around from time to time.

And I really want to see the Vredsteins and New Old Stock tires on thhe freshly painted rims. Morale booster!

So I started yesterday prepping tires by giving them a good scrub with soap and water then again with BleachWhite. They dried while I was at work.

This afternoon I set up to coat them with RyGlide(sp). This stuff is mentioned in other threads as a tire treatment. I was at Napa a couple days ago and figured it was worth a shot. It cant hurt my older treads and if it helps preserve the old stock rears in any way, awesome.

So got everything situated and started by pulling the new old stock tires off rims.

Then coated everything down and sealed in bags for the next couple days, For those who have tried this yet, if you have 15 inch rear tires, get ready to wrestle. proverbial 10 pounds in 5 pound bag.

I was tenacious and only murmured a few choice words. Well a lot but no grand kids to hear me:) The old tree falling in the woods thing. As far as G'children are concerned I am not a potty mouth. Yet;-)

Some pics I remembered to take.

Tomorrow I need to do maintenance on the blast cabinet, and if not too hot, start tackling pulling the rest of the parts tractor apart as I unfortunately need its frame or I take the other one into a welder. I have not yet taken the time to get welding stuff going. All I have at moment is a used wire feed welder a buddy gave me.  

BTW, Trying to tackle these projects and juggle work and family makes you realize why these restorations can take as long as they occasionally do and makes you realize just how dedicated and industrious those few are who can turn them around fast.

First pic is set up.
Second Pic is showing a closer pic of HF tool removing rear tire from rim.
Third pic are best 40 plus year old rears off the two GT's. These will hold for a while with Tubes but have significant cracking.
Fourth pic is of the new old stock tires I was lucky to get in tractor deal from Forum member
Fifth pic is nice set of older fronts. 18x8.5-8. I think these will last for a while yet.
last pic is showing them bagged to soak.

Tire Ryglide set up.jpg

HF removing tire from rim.jpg

40 plus year old tires.jpg

New Old Stock Tires.jpg

Older Front tires.jpg

Bagged with RyGlide.jpg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 4

Aldon

Well the Blast cabinet needs new gloves and I need to upgrade dust collection before next round of use.

So I spent a day using a wet sand blast nozzle with Masonry sand on a second set of rear rims, prime and paint( positives of 90 degree weather is paint dries fast) and then today I wrestled rear treads. Spent a bunch of time trying to mount new Vredstine  18x8.5-8's onto rims. 

I know when to punt. I will try and find somewhere that will mount these for me this week.
The latter two pics are showing a cut out of corrugated plastic I used in conjunction with HF tire tool to protect paint finish on rim. Similar cut out below tire as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 6

Aldon

I modified the blast cabinet and now need longer gloves. It will allow me to swap them from outside the cabinet. I am too stiff and body too wore out to be climbing into a blast cabinet. Even if seldom.

Likely a week from getting cabinet going and still with temps in upper 80's so I continued working on tires and rims.

My local Mavis shop is very customer friendly. I dropped tires, tubes and rims off and picked them up on my way home.
some pics with rear 15 inch tired to show set and reference size wise. Then a couple pics next to GT14 with turfs. It can be seen that the 18x8.5-8 V61 Vredsteins will be adding some stance and attitude:-) or Altitude anyway....as they look like about 1.5 inches taller than turfs. The tractor is actually lifted off ground a bit while Vredsteins are on ground. I mentioned in a another thread how great Miller tire was in dealing with. 

Probably going to pull those front runs next, wet blast, prime, paint and drop by Mavis for another set of fronts for my working GT14. Hopefully I can have the extra set on the tractor by Sunday afternoon. Got to head to Cleveland Friday so part of my week is shot.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Aldon

I need to tear down the GT14 in the tire comparison photo as I need the frame rail. The front section of the other GT14 is damaged like previous owner tried ramming something with it. So I pulled the front tires and disassembled the bearings. Took a while since they were in rough shape. The prior owner did me a favor though and left the kotter key out. Glad it was a non runner. Could have been a nasty surprise when the wheel literally cam off. As I plan to clean these up and install on my one gT14 that is not in tear down or restore mode, I figured the before and after pic might be dramatic. 

image.jpgAfter blasting.
image.jpg.14a90723a05e64d90997ba03f3771c

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

Aldon

Got home and the Postman had brought me my replacement blast cabinet gloves earlier than I had expected. I reversed the hardware on cabinet and bought longer gloves. Now much easier to replace them when needed. Now waiting on Cyclonic dust collector....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

MikesRJ

You got a hang nail on that left big toe there ... LOL

• Like 2

Aldon

I knew someone was gonna catch that in the pic:-)

• Like 2

Aldon

image.jpg.36cad0b734c32f585d4b37f9c585feimage.jpg.f3adb0ae260ec9447c17deb9ad800eimage.jpg.10f114b0d2a38e0421d81072e84532image.jpg.ef3ab99eb7f7a6d374dc4326aeb981image.jpg.002b7b9b9ae26b7f8181f53b50fbb2On my way back from Cleveland. 54 inch blade and nice tiller for the GT14. 

The fella had quite a collection.

i snapped a pic of a mower attachment I don't think I have seen before.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 4

Aldon

Well I finally got my Blast Cabinet set back up. I did a little work with it and I have to say the gloves from TP tools are a huge upgrade from the Harbor Freight poor excuse for gloves. I also am very pleased with the cyclonic dust collection. I decided to give this a try before buying a dedicated unit. I am still waiting on the Router speed controller to make the shop vac variable speed but in my first road test, the cabinet is a ton easier and more effiecient than previously. So at this point with the added aftermarket light, gloves, hoses, speed controller and cyclonic collector I am at ~ 325.00 which I consider a bargain. Now I also have more labor in it than ideal but it keeps me out of trouble. Now I can get back to prepping the GT14 again. image.thumb.jpg.fb4ff061ab587104fb5ff66dimage.thumb.jpg.d2add990f532fba4646ed1f0

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 3

DennisThornton

Love the front reel mower!
Could you take another shot of the blade showing the pads better?  Would you know it's model number?
I'm guessing you are liking your blast cabinet?!?

I'll be following along...

• Like 1

Aldon

That front Reel mower belongs to a great fella in Cleveland. I am not close enough to take more pics.

As far as the Blast Cabinet goes, if I knew I would never need to sand blast again after this restomod I would likely just pay to have it done. But I wanted to experience every step of the restore process. I have learned a lot and enjoy the tinkering and mechanical repairs and puzzles.

in short, I do like the cabinet.

Edited by Aldon

Coadster32

Great job so far!! :handgestures-thumbupright:  I think you'll find a few more things to blast now that you have the cabinet. Perhaps not a big job like this though.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

That front Reel mower belongs to a great fella in Cleveland. I am not close enough to take more pics.

As far as the Blast Cabinet goes, if I knew I would never need to sand blast again after this restomod I would likely just pay to have it done. But I wanted to experience every step of the restore process. I have learned a lot and enjoy the tinkering and mechanical repairs and puzzles.

in short, I do like the cabinet.

Indeed I love the reel mower but it was the dozer blade pads I was asking to see more closely...

Aldon

Sorry. I misunderstood. I'll get pics up and add to this post....

I have two 54 inch blades.

One has this styleimage.thumb.jpg.2ec6fd49b22c8a4098d27304and the other has this style:
image.thumb.jpg.676785a469148dae46deca37

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

Both 54"?  Both factory pads?  Looks like they are or at least could be...

Thank you for the pics!

Aldon

I am certain the rounded ones are factory. As you indicate the other could be or they could be very well done custom or perhaps pulled from another make or model.

• Like 1

Aldon

Well it would be great if I did not have to work but by the sweat of our brow we have earn our way through life. And I have been doing more of that than working on my tractor lately. But the Blast cabinet is back up so I am making headway when I can get a few moments here and there..... A few more pieces blasted and primed. I split time between blasting, priming and tearing the parts tractor down to its frame since I need the frame due to the damage on the other tractors frame. I hope to have it ready to prep by next weekend and will get it prepped for paint if weather cooperates.image.thumb.jpg.3c6e6920b57da0258533f96c

• Like 1

Aldon
image.thumb.jpg.5dde5c40c277eafb8176f270Took a break from the resto project to install the refreshed tires and rims on my other GT14. The fresh paint is causing image to be blurred a bit around the rims.

Otherwise I am getting close to hitting my goal of blasting the frame. I think The weather is going to snarl me up and delay me until the following weekend though. Depends on how much and how hard it rains over next few days.
  • Like 2

953 nut
:text-coolphotos:                Looks a bit like a Halo, must be an Angelic GT-14!                 :ROTF:
  • Like 3

Aldon
image.thumb.jpg.1273d929809195eda97ee7fdimage.thumb.jpg.974103819ab6dd98f5ed0389Well I should have learned by now that setting goals and dates invites the universe to hit you dead center with all it is to take the wind from you. So....a minor tool failure...somehow no hose clamps which I find exasperating seeing as I buy them in bulk just to avoid the 30 minute drive into civilization in the middle of projects. So waste a half day productivity and hit the next blockade. I thing Hubs may have been placed on earth to try men's souls! So I was making decent headway considering blasting, priming (ran out of primer btw) and testing the remaining Hydro pump and motor off but got hung up one more time trying to pull the hub off the unit I plan on using. I want to blast the hubs and polish the axles. So I have rigged up the hub puller using one of the hubs that did come off and need longer center bolt. Likely have to order it or maybe Fastenal has one. Anyway I have made some progress and got started on the attach-a-matic parts and the 3 point hardware. A couple pics to go along with the update. I had the self etching primer for the framer and ran out of the clean metal primer so used some of it. I really like the self etching stuff.
  • Like 2