RedRanger

Front rims on suburbans

RedRanger

I have a 401.  The front rims are both different upon inspection.
Both are 8 inch and same width.  Both have the same offsets.
Both are wheel horse rims and have the two holes for bolt on weights.
But, one rim has the grease zerk and valve stem on the outside and the other rim has them both on the inside.
(no you can't just flip one wheel around as the inner hub length is longer than the outer hub length.)
The second difference is the shape of the "dish" or "bubble" in the center of the wheel.
One has a more pronounced hump in the center of the rim.
It is obvious that one of them is not correct to the tractor.

From what I can tell, it looks like these early models had the zerk and valve stem on the outside.
I obviously have rims from two different years or two different models.
Where the front rims different from year to year?  
Anyone have knowledge of what rims were used in what years or what my odd rim might be from?
Is there a way to ID these?

Here is the "correct" one.  I can't find a picture of the other one at this time though.  The other one looks very close, just the zerk and tube are on the other side of the wheel and the bulge in the center is a different shape.
041.thumb.jpg.fb551bebe36da3c55e6c644e13

Racinbob

That's the exact rim I have on my 400. Odd that the stem and zerk are on the outside but I've seen that on others as well. Maybe the wheel supplier ?????

AMC RULES

Inside, outside of the fronts on my 401.

IMG_3948.thumb.JPG.2c36af22eb06155b1c1c8IMG_3947.thumb.JPG.371c85cc466fe7c2d6eff

Racinbob

Nothing wrong with them that way Craig but they are backwards. The longer hub goes to the inside putting the stem and zerk on the outside. I was at odds with myself as to which way to put them on my 400 and finally multiple vintage pictures in the Horses Mouth book made it clear. :)

• Like 1

RedRanger

Putting the longer offset on the inside seems to line them up with the rear tires better too.

• Like 1

RedRanger

Better pictures of the wheels on my 401.
The first is the one that I believe is correct.
Notice the zerk and stem on the outside/shorter center section and the "dish/hump" in the center stops before it gets to the two weight holes.
007_(2).thumb.jpg.9210f51d426a66867288da

The other rim, has no zerk or stem on the outside and the center hump extends all the way out to the bolt holes.  Any idea what model this is from?

006_(2).thumb.jpg.64c7785019994423327659

• Like 1

GlenPettit

The factory original "metal wheels" had the zerk fittings on the outside and were 1.62" hubs, and after '63 the wheels had the zerks on the inside and had 1.5" hubs.  The original 1 5/8" wheels not last in areas with salt and rusted quickly, the only replacement wheels after '63 were the 1.5" wheels.

(that's why the repro flex hub caps we make are shorter in depth, 1", to easily fit on the 1.62" hubs up to their outside zerk fittings).  To me, your zerk-wheel doesn't look standard 'Wheel Horse', I think the zerks were always on the Hub stem (the first original WH front wheels were actually standard wheel barrow wheels).
Glen

Edited by GlenPettit
  • Like 2

RedRanger

The factory original "metal wheels" had the zerk fittings on the outside and were 1.62" hubs, and after '63 the wheels had the zerks on the inside and had 1.5" hubs.  The original 1 5/8" wheels not last in areas with salt and rusted quickly, the only replacement wheels after '63 were the 1.5" wheels.

(that's why the repro flex hub caps we make are shorter in depth, 1", to easily fit on the 1.62" hubs up to their outside zerk fittings).  To me, your zerk-wheel doesn't look standard 'Wheel Horse', I think the zerks were always on the Hub stem (the first original WH front wheels were actually standard wheel barrow wheels).
Glen

That zerk is on the hub stem.  It's a 90 degree zerk.

Racinbob

Here's one of Glens larger diameter, shorter caps. Came in today Glen, thanks!

Front Hub Caps.JPG

• Like 3