PeacemakerJack

314-8: to buy or not to buy?

PeacemakerJack

Guys,
a 314-8 came up for sale locally.  It is cosmetically kinda nasty looking. The price seems good though. It has about 750 hours on it, starts, and seems to drive really well.  I have never owned a WH Gear Drive tractor. Are there any things that I should look for while studying it over. It is reported to be a 1990 model and has been stored inside and used for plowing snow and yard chores for the last 8 years.  It has the M14 engine on it which started well and ran good with no smoke. I would like to use it for a moldboard plow tractor and other ground engaging implements.  Has anyone out there used one for that purpose and how well do they work?  Do the transmission/rear ends hold up under that kind of work? Also, are these prone to any common electrical glitches?  Thanks in advance for any advice!

leeave96

The 314-8 is IMHO one of the all time greats.  The rear end is stout and will handle your plowing chores.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

oldredrider

You can't go wrong with a 314-8. One of the best models Wheel Horse made.

• Like 2

slammer302

the 310-8,312-8,314-8 are all great hard working horses

• Like 3

chip61

I have one-it's a great tractor you'll love it!

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It
Have you checked to make sure it has the rear cable lift system and rocker shaft to lift a rear hitch?
If that is on it, great! If not, you will need to find one here on the classifieds or one at a swap meet.
Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 2

PeacemakerJack
Have you checked to make sure it has the rear cable lift system and rocker shaft to lift a rear hitch?

I literally was coming home from town and stopped in to see it.  The home owner is in the process of selling his home and moving, hence the reason for selling the tractor. Anyway, he had someone coming in 30 minutes to look at the house and gave me just a few minutes to check out the tractor.  I did notice a chain hanging off the back coming from under the seat pan.  I will make sure I look at that closely tomorrow.  Thanks for the advice.  That would be a bummer to not have the "core" of the lift system...

I was impressed with how smooth the transmission worked and the engine ran well.

• Like 1

MalMac

The 314-8 is a very good choice. It will handle any garden chores you throw at it. You would be hard pressed to find a better or stronger manual transmission in a garden tractor.  The combination of that cast iron Kohler and that 8 speed doesn't get any better.

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

Fantastic tractor setup. Dead reliable single cylinder kohler with a dead reliable 8 speed transmission. Sounds like it was used gently. Just keep fluids changed and regular maintenance, you should have many many years of working that thing hard.

And all the rear lift parts are available from a vendor here if they arent there (usually are not from the factory), no big deal at all.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I like my 314 -8 and it seems to respond to all tasks well.

IMG_5745.JPG

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It
Jack, the chain thingy hanging from the rear tell me the tractor has the lift cable / rocker shaft / chain. Its got all the good things going for it mechanically and ground engaging wise. Time to call the owner and go get the tractor before someone else  (like me who knows what they are looking at) beats you to it!
  • Like 3

PeacemakerJack

I told him I'd take it.  I'll go after work tomorrow and pick it up.  It isn't pretty now but I'll post a couple of pics.  When it is freshened up with a little TLC,  it will be a strong AND sharp machine.  Thanks for everyone's input!  If you guys have any thoughts on what I should do with it maintenance wise when I get it home, don't hesitate to share! 

• Like 3

Racinbob

Looking forward to the pics. I would just start off with the good cleaning, Change the engine and transmission oil, air and fuel filter if needed, grease her up, check the battery cables and any other routine maintenance thing you can think of. Then use it some to find out if there's anything else it needs.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

WHX??

You did good Jack, a buddy's  got a 314 and loves it. Looks like we are pretty close to each other  - let me know if you need help rustlin it!

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

I'm excited!  On my way to pick up the 314-8. Pics soon to follow. Be warned--it's not Purdy but it is an all American Wheel Horse!

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Here it is!

image.thumb.jpg.3b4ecb41abd4d9cfacf6348d

Where do I find the serial number so we can figure out what year this bird is?  I was told 1990 but according to my searches on here the decals look to be more like 1994-5...

image.thumb.jpg.f84b572a0a115c4759f04044

I love the look of this tractor, even on its unkept state.

image.thumb.jpg.8d532c819f4cc8113e9d64eb

So, as I'm loaded and getting ready to leave, I ask the owner what it takes to use garden implements on this tractor.  He begins to explain about the Brinly adapter hitch.  He tells me that he used to have one for this tractor but he sold it.  He opens a cabinet in the back of the shop and there it is!!! He says, "I guess I still have it.  You can have it if you want it!"

image.thumb.jpg.0c07dcf1670d55484047f279

I like it for three bills!!!

• Like 4

dcrage

Other than some tears on the seat (its only been set on for 25 years) that looks like a tractor in pretty good shape -- I bet it will look pretty sharp when and if you decide to clean it up 

PeacemakerJack

-- I bet it will look pretty sharp when and if you decide to clean it up 

I can't wait to get it cleaned up! It's like an itch that I can't scratch! 

dennist

Nice, I think it will do you well. You even got some extras that add up quickly.

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

If I would've lifted the seat I could've answered my own question!!!!

image.thumb.jpg.8f6b30ec75cdff0c34d96e72

sometimes it it pays to do the investigating first!:blink:

bmsgaffer

That looks like a solid 94! A little paint never stopped a horse from doin its job!

• Like 1

WHX??

Really....a good cleaning & some TLC, maybe a couple of trips to Fleet Farm and  it will make a good worker! Northern Tool has got some good buys on replacement seats. :text-coolphotos:

PeacemakerJack

I would like to do some plowing with this guy soon however, as I was setting up my hitch last night, I noticed that I was missing the lift cable clevis that attaches the "front" of the cable to the arm that comes down off the rockshaft.  Is that a piece that can be gotten through a specialty hardware store or do I have to get it from Toro/WH?  

Really....a good cleaning & some TLC, maybe a couple of trips to Fleet Farm and  it will make a good worker! Northern Tool has got some good buys on replacement seats. :text-coolphotos:

AND who doesn't like a trip to the man's mall--Fleet Farm?  (At least here in WI anyway!)  

Speaking of the seat, the front to bolts were broken out of the seat pan.  Talk about a rodeo ride--it was like a trip on Marty Robbins "Strawberry Roan"!  

I looked at the primary drive belt and it doesn't look to be in great shape.  Two questions--1. What is the best belt that I can put on it? (If that is OEM, do you have a part number for me?) 2. How difficult is it to change?

bmsgaffer

OEM, and someone here will be in with the part number.

Not hard to change:
Pull PTO hoop, loosen or remove foot rest, you may have to remove tab from clutch idler its different over the years, push clutch in, remove old belt, rinse, repeat in reverse. :handgestures-thumbupright:

If you search youtube, our very own @Stigian made a good video showing how to do it.

Ah, here it is:

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It
She looks a little rough cosmetically but very sound mechanically. I'd say you found a good tractor that needs a weekend's worth of attention to cleaning and engine/drivetrain details.