Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

New Points/Points Lubricant?

boovuc

Hi Guys,

I just put new NAPA replacement points in the KT17 engine I have been working on. I have it running nice again but the points came with a small capsule of oil and.....this is stupid but..............where do you put this oil. I remember using a small amount of grease on old points sets in Teckeys and Briggs mowers, tillers but not this viscous oil in the capsule.

Use it? Use something else and where does it go?  :mellow:

PS......The older Kohler points were really pited and the contact area of the cam was indented but these NAPA points verses the old set look real cheap!

WNYPCRepair

Is there a little felt pad?

squonk

What Part no. are the replacement points? 

oldredrider

The lube is used on a felt pad that rubs the distributor shaft in an old style car application. You don't have system so it is not needed.

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

The lube is used on a felt pad that rubs the distributor shaft in an old style car application. You don't have system so it is not needed.

I knew I remembered putting it on a felt pad. Haven't messed with points in years

boovuc

I remember the felt pads on the points that were on distributor shafts. I thought I was loosing it more than usual when looking at these points and that oil capsule.
The pack had a hand written number of 701338  A17. (The 0 could be a "D".)
The barcode on the pack is 08282 25155.

It states: "replaces Kohler 47-150-03, Tecumseh 32011A".

Assembled in Puerto Rico.  

pfrederi

The capsule should have an almost grease consistency lubricant.  it is applied to the nylon (or some kind of plastic) follower in the points assembly. It lubricates the follower and the cam on a distributor shaft.  Since your Kohler uses a plunger instead of a cam and follower it is unnecessary. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

GREYGHOST

I'm looking for timing & points replacement on the Kohler KT17QS. So far this is the only place I've found reference to the points. So, can someone please help me on the specs. Or where I can find them? THANKS

Nevermind Folks. Dummy me found the manual right here under manuals. Now to get some new glasses or remove head from rear end.

Edited by GREYGHOST
  • Haha 1