Gracie's Dad

Lawn Ranger Rims

Gracie's Dad

I just got an old lawn ranger(pre-1964 I believe), or most of one, and I don't want to screw it up anymore than it already is. My problem is that I am not sure how to take the back wheels off. It looks like they have a bolt on the inside of the rim that works as a sort of set screw. I would appreciate any info on how to remove the rear wheels. They still have the original wheelhorse tires, I am guessing that they are not going to slide right off. Any advice/expertise would be appreciated. 

Terry M

The rims slide on and off the axle.  rim is held in place by a set screw with a jam nut that screws down on the key-way.     I took out the set screw, squirted some penatrating oil in the set screw hole a few time a day for a few days , then tapped off the rim with a rubber mallet while rotating the rim.   worked for me.

sorekiwi

Yes, Terry is right.  The early Lawn Rangers dont have hubs, they have a keyway in the wheels and are secured by a setscrew and locknut.

IMG_2669.jpg

• Like 2

Gracie's Dad

I appreciate the input. Much to my surprise, the first rim came off fairly easily. The tire on the other hand, put up quite a struggle when it came to trying to remove it.Next up, trying to figure out the age of this thing. I was able to remove the paint off the serial number tag. Can anybody give me info on that?? It has a serial number of 7243

sorekiwi

'62 to '64 Rangers have round fenders, after that they went to a squared off fender pan.

'62 and '63 had an aluminum fuel tank with the dash on the back of it, '64 had a longer hood that came back around the steering column.

'62 had solid rubber tires on the front, '63 and later had pneumatic front tires.

Post '64 I cant tell you the differences - a bit too new for me!!

This is a pic of my '63 (with an incorrect engine).

IMG_1969.jpg

Gracie's Dad

I appreciate the info. Unfortunately, I have no engine or gas tank that came with it, and the previous owner butchered the hood. It does have the round fenders, but not the solid tires.So that will at least narrow it down to being a '63 or '64. Anyway you cut it, I have my work cut out for me!