DennisThornton

Wheel Horse Identification Project

gwest_ca

8641 looks like a 1964 serial number so my guess is a model 654.

Garry

Would you care to share your serial number info?  I have some odds and ends like this quote:
"Have seen 953 serials from 62-137 to 62-928 and 32508 to 42159
 1054 serials from 42105 to 49725
 1054A serials from 49065 to 101637"

but I have no sheet listing serials or how they apply

Years ago I started to record any serial numbers I came across in a Yahoo manuals Group. Each one went into a searchable Database Table about 8 different ways so the info could be sorted every way possible. It worked great but their new format allows a maximum of 1000 lines and this one was up to 5000 so it takes forever to retrieve the info if it comes up at all. I did keep the info in pdf files as a backup but they are about 500 pages long. After 2 years of this I finally found a way to get the serials for individual models and have been working at copying them to the Red Square files.

If you do a search of our files using - 1964 serial numbers
any that are completed will show up with a SN in the file name. If you see a sn it is just my way of recording that I have checked that model and have no serials for it yet.
I have copied the serials just as I entered them in the Groups. Many serials now have 0's before the number so they have the correct number of digits for that particular year. Left them that way in case the info can be used again to take them to a new level. Of course these 0's were not on the tractor so searching for a serial as decaled won't likely come up on a search.

One column in the Groups has all the serials recorded as a 9-digit serial. This was very useful as one could quickly scroll down the list to see what years a particular serial was used. Some years the serials continued into the new model year and others they started over.

In 1962 they introduced the 62-xxxx serials for the tractors and A-xxxx for the attachments. The 62-xxxx's were used on the following model years until the decal supply was exhausted. Near the end even the A-xxxx's ended up being used on the tractors.

The 1971-74 model numbers on the product used 6 digits. These serial number lists is where I realized the significance of the 6th digit. Subtract 5 from that 6th digit and you get the model year. Very seldom does the 6th digit show up but on the Attachment list the GT-14 tractor for 1973 is model xxxx-8. These were 1972 left over models and surprising how many have shown up. 

It is not a carved in stone record. Some serials are hard to read off the tractor or attachment and others may be a typo. We all make mistakes but have copy and pasted the info to keep them to a minimum.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca
  • Like 2

953 nut
:text-coolphotos:  That 953 has had a tough life and needs more love than most of us would want to give it.. The Ross steering gear, hood, headlight buckets and hydraulic pump seem to be the only real valuable items. The trans axle, engine and front axle would have some value if you wanted to bring them to the "Big Show" in June. What is the serial number on the plate above the shift pattern sticker? 

The only difference between the 1054 and 1054A is the year of manufacture. The numbering system that was used at the time would have had it be a 1055 in 1965 but that was the number being used for the newly introduced short frame square hood model.
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

I looked closely and even took a picture of the shift tag.  There is no serial number.  Yeah, she sat in the woods until it grew up around her.  Might have been more restorable without the years of pine needles and leaves!

What would you give for her if she were local?  I told the gent I was interested but wasn't sure she was worth restoring...  Sounds like I was right.

953 shifter tag.jpg

DennisThornton

8641 looks like a 1964 serial number so my guess is a model 654.

Garry

Would you care to share your serial number info?  I have some odds and ends like this quote:
"Have seen 953 serials from 62-137 to 62-928 and 32508 to 42159
 1054 serials from 42105 to 49725
 1054A serials from 49065 to 101637"

but I have no sheet listing serials or how they apply

Years ago I started to record any serial numbers I came across in a Yahoo manuals Group.
-message clipped-
Garry

Read three times and I tried but I'm still lost... How do I search a serial here, on this site?  And you have all the WH serials from the Yahoo group?  The WheelHorseManuals groups?  Maybe I can help?

gwest_ca

Read three times and I tried but I'm still lost... How do I search a serial here, on this site?  And you have all the WH serials from the Yahoo group?  The WheelHorseManuals groups?  Maybe I can help?

Type this in the Search box
1964 serial numbers
or any other model year.
Then click on the drop down menu next to the search box and select Files and then click search.
Each file name that comes up should have a SN in it. Click on one to see the serials which are just on the file information page. Nothing to download.

No I don't have the serial numbers in a format I can use. I go to the Yahoo Group and retrieve them one model number at a time and copy them to the files here.

Garry

• Like 1

953 nut
Looks like the serial number decal was changed out along with the hood side decals. If you had an early 953 project or wanted to go to some shows and swap meets to sell parts I guess $ 100 or less would be a good price for both. Otherwise you would be best off taking picture posters along to shows to find them a good home, hate to see rusting away.
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

Type this in the Search box
1964 serial numbers
or any other model year.
Then click on the drop down menu next to the search box and select Files and then click search.
Each file name that comes up should have a SN in it. Click on one to see the serials which are just on the file information page. Nothing to download.

No I don't have the serial numbers in a format I can use. I go to the Yahoo Group and retrieve them one model number at a time and copy them to the files here.

Garry

Your the guy that adds these serial numbers?
1964 model 34E Lawn Ranger
1964 serial numbers that have shown up for the 34E
A-61568
A-61827

A-73376
 - May be a 34R
007050 - May be a 34R

- May be a 34R
 - May be a 34R

Edited by DennisThornton
Spelling...

gwest_ca
Your the guy that add these serial numbers?

That would be me.

Garry

DennisThornton

Wow! One at a time? I've seen your work many times before!  How are they listed on yahoo?

alswagg

I wished my Grandfather was still alive. We worked at Wheel horse after the closing of the Studebaker plant. I think he left wheelhorse in 78 or 79. 

• Like 2

ACman

Ok I'm new to this and love this idea. If you read my profile you know I grew up in Allis Chalmers dealership ,man did I have it easy . Everything was broke down to model and serial#s . Just go to to microfiche ( that's right no computer and still don't )find part # go to the parts card bin look it up ,see if it was in stock or had to order . I love the :wh: community all ready been a big help. It would be nice to go look at some pics to see what is correct and what's not. I want to restore my 702 back to stock as close as possible . The guy that I bought the 702 and RJ from had at least 25 round hoods and had a wealth of knowledge . From what I've read in this thread and what he explained to me I believe it's a late 59 . If anyone knows this person or your on red square pm me . He's from montrose Mi. On anther note on the allis Chalmers forum (which I don't belong, this is the only one)there's a spot for former employees  or family members to write there story's and memory's and it's pretty cool to see some lost connections or stories inter twin, also some of the employees can give some insite on some models which they built.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

kiotiken

I believe his name is Randy. I have his phone number.

The other WH guy is Rick and I have his number too. Pm me and I'll send the numbers to you if one of those names sounds right.

They're the only guys I can think of in the area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JP 141

Being relatively new Horse owner, I spend a lot of time here reading posts and learning things...My brother has quite the herd and was my motivation when buying an awesome tractor. Now in my 50s, I want to build my own herd and have some fun with them...This site is awesome !! I love talking to all of you and all the advise Ive received has been "spot on". Curious as to how all of this has progressed....JP 141 

nylyon

If you've used the new classfied section, you'll notice that it has fields which can be selected values, mandatory, optional etc.. What if we created a wiki style with the required information for each model.  We could then have a searchable system with complete details on each model.  I would build the framework, then everyone can have fun populating it, maybe even put a link to the manual for that model?

• Like 3

DennisThornton

I'm thinking that might be a really great idea!  The spreadsheet continuation that @stevasaurus and I are gathering info for would still have it's uses but I think both would compliment each other nicely.  Searchable database and sort-able list.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Now I think we are on to something...including pictures from various angles.  :)

• Like 2

nylyon

So, RedSquare has a lot of resources available to it.  We have manuals, galleries etc already built in. So it doesn't make any sense to duplicate that work, but in this area have links to the resources such as manuals etc.  When I get some time, I'll start a template and we'll  get this going.  Since it will be in wiki format, we can utilize everyone on the forum who is willing to help to populate the information.

• Like 4

stevasaurus

And in the long run, we can rejuvenate the picture gallery that is on the main page to offer the links to the specific horses with pictures embedded from members computers and not links from places like Photobucket that we can loose.  Kind of like doing 2 things at once.  :)

• Like 3

stevasaurus

If you guys have not seen this thread...check it out.  The Wheel Horse numbering system for the early round hoods has been an issue for a long time.  :)

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/1007-questions-about-the-60s-model-numbering/?page=2

• Like 2

953 nut

Thanks Steve, I figured we weren't the first ho have a discussion on this subject.

• Like 1

nylyon

We now have a WIKI for everyone to populate.  When you create a new WIKI, there will be a discussion topic created as well so that model can be discussed in great detail.  Hopefully we'll get this area going, but it's really up to YOU all, as I can not personally populate the Wiki.

• Like 2