Sparky

Truck tire question

Sparky

So my 04 Dodge 1500 originally came with a P265x70x17 tire and the door decal says they should be at 35psi. It now has LT265x70x17 tires on it now and they have a max inflation of 80psi. My question is...should the LT tires be also aired up to 35psi? Or should they be higher?
Mike.........

Digger 66

LT ( light truck ) radials are much stiffer than a P ( passenger ) rated tire .
I have P's on the 1/2 ton just for a better ride & keep them at around 36 front & 32 rear .
Run what you're comfy with .

AMC RULES
Why not air 'em up to 80, and see how you like the ride.  :confusion-shrug:
  • Like 2

shallowwatersailor

You might want to research the inflation pressure charts for the two different tires. Find what the original tires supported weight-wise at those pressures and then find the equivalent chart for the weight on the new tires.

I have a 3/4-ton GMC with LT265/75-16 tires and the label loaded pressures are 50 psi front/70 psi rear. Because I rarely have any load aboard, I run 45 psi front/ 60 psi rear to get a better ride. I drop it less in front because I have the big block engine.

Sparky

I got it with 72ish pounds in the fronts and it was a harsh ride. Dropped the fronts to 50psi but wont drive it again till tomorrow to see how it feels. The rears are at 40psi right now.
Mike........

JPWH

Whatever pressure you decide check the tread wear too much and you wear out the center too little and you wear out the outside either one will decrease traction and reduce tire life.

• Like 1

Digger 66

I got it with 72ish pounds in the fronts

bighair_zps9sbtsysc.gif

nylyon

My F250 has LT265x70-16 and the door sticker says 60 front 70 rear, and that's what I run. Talk to a good tire store, see what they think, but I would guess 50 front and rear to keep the full tired on the road.

Coadster32

I have BF-Goodrich 33's on a 10inch wide rim. Whey are a bit squeezed. I run for best tread wear, which relates to mid-low 30's on my ranger. The tire place by me always maxes out the tire with no relation to vehicle ride at all. They cranked my tires to 50psi, and my truck would lane change when I hit a bump in the corner..yikes. Put it where it feels right, and it most likely will be right.

Sparky

Update:
  With 50psi in the fronts (down from 70+) it rides and feels much better. I might drop the fronts to 45 for the ride home this afternoon. The rears are still at 40psi, probably wont change the rears yet. I am figuring this truck will be unloaded 98% of the time.
Mike.......

can whlvr

it depends on how many plys your tires are,from factory most 1/2 tons come with 4 plys and run 35 psi,the 8 or 10 ply run higher psi,but the more plys the rougher the ride

wallfish

I run long miles so I pack'em with 80 psi for better gas mileage. The thing bounces around and turns the van into a rattle can but I need to get whatever I can out of it. Still only get about 12-13 mpg with a 350 in a 3/4 ton cargo van which has about 190,000 miles on it. Very seldom does it run without much weight inside but when I do it, it's a horrible experience.